Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Tuesday-10:30am

We've had cloudy rainy days...
...and days with sunshine, but they've all been sticky. 
Rainy days...Karma thought were good for staying in bed. 
This looks like a sky that can't make up its mind. 
If I painted this in an art class the teacher would say: "Well now, this doesn't look realistic at all.  Clouds don't look like that...almost black against white all helter skelter like that.  Try again."  LOL! 
Sweaty hot...Karma likes to snooze out on the porch while I stay inside where it's cooler. 
I had such a happy accident!  Remember I bought this Heat-n-Bond at JoAnn's?
Well, I've never used it before and can't read the fine print without a magnifier, right?  Well, this stuff has a paper liner because it is sticky on both sides!  Made to attach things to each other and not an interfacing at all!  Can't tell I haven't been sewing for over 25 years--ROFL!  (But how much easier will this be to add a decal to a little boy's clothes than stitching them on by hand, eh?)
****
So, I thought on this for a while.  Remember I had lightly lined some of the ultra suede I had purchased quite a while back to prep it for book covers?  Well, I experimented on the small red leather cover first...and forgot to take pictures, but here it is before I trimmed off the excess ultrasuede. 

It worked great!  So I did the same with the larger red leather cover with more of the cream ultrasuede.  :)  First I ironed on a strip from the Heat-n-Bond roll right down the spine for extra support--paper side up.
Then I cut a hunk of the Heat-n-Bond sheet a little larger than the red cover piece and ironed it on to the ultrasuede--paper side up. 
Removed both the papers, ironed them together (on top of a non-stick surface), trimmed off the excess fabric with the dangerous circular cutter and my big heavy ruler...and snipped out the indentation bits from the top and bottom of the spine.  Voila! 
I love them now!! 
The spines don't crush down like they did with all the bands holding in the removable little notebooks... 
...and the inside covers are...ultrasuede! 
 I'm already using the smaller one that fits in my purse so well.
Can't tell how much I love my red leather and suede fauxdoris?  LOL! 
The inside of the covers are so soft!  What a totally happy accident, eh?! 
I went over to visit McFamily for a short bit on Sunday.  Daddy was watching Ian...and golf... 
...and giving Sammy some attention.  
(Can't forget our four-legged babes.)
While Leah and I worked on measuring and cutting out pieces of cardstock approximately the size of my various pieces of furniture so we can play around with the floor plan of my future home.  (Talk about positive visualization, eh?!)  Leah's done this before so she did the measuring and I did the cutting and labeling. 
Ian is awake for playtime more these days. 
He thinks about grabbing the toys and waves his arms about to bat at them but hasn't figured out the grasping thing yet.  Will happen in no time at all.  Seems like you blink and they've learned something new.  
Quite a little milk belly--LOL!
Happy little guy doing his arm and leg exercises.  ;) 
They were heading out to have pizza with friends (who also have little ones).  We hadn't finished with the "furniture" so I left it all there on Sunday.  Hoping to make it back over in the next couple days.  Note the small fauxdori on the table there is where I wrote down all the measurements.  (Could hardly wait to use it, of course.)  And I even brought my trusty thermal mug with me that day, too--for all you folks at T Stands For Tuesday over at Elizabeth's.  :) 
Oh, and the one pattern I wanted to buy at Joann's they were out of.  Found it on eBay for $5.81 (some wanted $12.99) and it arrived post haste in brand new condition.  Gramma wants to make toddler Ian a pair of overalls...maybe with a decal--LOL!  I made so many for Dagan when he was little.  This pattern goes up to size three, thank goodness.  We know how slow this Gramma operates.  ;)
In the spirit of purging and downsizing...I am going to give away my big L-shaped desk and hutch.
I really don't need this big of a desk anymore.  It was a blessing when I was in college till 2004, but ever since Dagan hauled off my last desk computer that died I don't use it for hours and hours every day like I used to.  I do most of my writing now sitting by the window at my table.  I plan to buy another inexpensive desk, but regular sized with a hutch and a file drawer...will take up half the space.  My file cabinet next to the desk is falling apart and will go, too.  I bought them together and on sale back in 2000.  Just pressboard--but they have served me well. 
****
And, sadly, I am going to give away the tiny lift chair, too. 
 I feel badly that after all the trouble Dagan and Leah went through to pick this up from somebody (freecycle) I haven't been able to use it because it is so very small that my feet hang over the edge of the footrest--at the ankles!  And I am only a little over 5'1"!!  But that is an absolutely horrible position for your feet to be in if you have plantar fasciitis!  Causes pain and limping.  So, I am giving this away, too.
****
I have Dagan and Leah checking with their friends/coworkers and Caroline will check around, too.  Caroline has a better chance of maybe knowing a client who could use them, but regardless...they will eventually be gone.  I give them all first chance, but will put them up on freecycle if nobody they know wants them.  I just sent them all pictures to be able to show people.  Hey--I was serious when I said I was going to start downsizing.  ;)
****
Caroline comes this afternoon.  It's been in the 80s with the humidity at 70-80%, so been closed up night and day.  I got caught up watching Wallander with Kenneth Branagh on NS (netflix streaming) and now, of course, started watching the Swedish version of Wallander with Krister Henriksson.  (So far, Kenneth wins on brooding angst.)  Since with the Swedish version I have to be in the mood for subtitles, I've been switching off with The Killing.  Is it any wonder I need to watch a couple Big Bang reruns before I go to bed--LOL!
****
I should be reading!  I have library books I haven't even cracked open.  Shame on me.  
****
Anyways, that's what's happening up here in Fargo.  Happy Tuesday everybody!!  :):)
****
"Keep your eyes on the stars, and your feet on the ground."
Theodore Roosevelt

30 comments:

TexWisGirl said...

good for you on downsizing! and stay cool in the sticky season!

Anonymous said...

Humidity does me in, too. My husband likes heat & is an early riser, neither of which can be said for me!!

Deborah Weber said...

Your fauxdoris are fabulous - love them in that red! So glad you got the construction figured out with the perfect bonding.

Intense Guy said...

Your fauxdoris are really nifty!!!

And with you "downsizing" like you are, you'll be loading a moving truck soon!!!

:)

Ian is so precious. His mat is a riot of color too!

DJan said...

Those are some very neat fauxdori booklets. I can see why you're so happy with them. And "little" Ian is growing like a weed! Happy post, happy days. Give Karma a pet for me. :-)

Jenny said...

What neat books!

Humidity is so hard to stand!

And I love your sky captures!

froebelsternchen said...

fantastic books..and those little one is so sweet!
Happy T-Day!

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I love your brooding sky photos. They are cool and an art teacher would surely appreciate them.

Wow, you really ARE downsizing. Too bad I don't live closer. I would love to have that chair, since I'm only 4'11".

I watched both Wallander shows on Hulu last month free. I agree that the Branagh one is better for the brooding character, but I liked the other one better because Linda, his tv daughter worked by his side, which was not the case in the Branagh series.

I also watched The Bridge. Both editions. Even though there are subtitles in the Swedish version, I liked it. However, I can see where the Mexico/TX version makes more sense from an American standpoint.

Thanks for sharing your weekend with us for T this Tuesday. Hope your weather improves soon. Mine is still ungodly hot and humid. Even Bleubeard is looking for relief.

Anonymous said...

Karma's position makes my neck hurt...

That toy was popular with Joe. That and the exersaucer that comes later.

Hettie said...

Great sky photos there. Karma lays like my doggie. How on earth can that be comfie?
Nice to see little one coming on.
Hugs
xx

Linda Kunsman said...

wow- but some of the skies can truly show some spectacular oppositions as you can see! So many wonderful things in this post. I LOVE your red books-they turned out beautifully! Karma would be adorable no matter how you photographed her - and ditto for baby Ian. Good for you to downsize-something we should be working on too...happy T day!

Bridget Larsen said...

love the name of your cat, is he a good Karma or a bad karma LOL just kidding.

the book looks great with the heat and bond, never heard of it before
Bridget #1

AliceKay said...

Ian looks very happy and healthy. He'll be grabbing those toys in no time.

Neat idea for your fauxdoris. They both look great and super soft.

I think we're getting your humidity because it's rather sticky outside tonight. Rain is on the way for tomorrow afternoon and Thursday. The air conditioner in our back room (where we keep the freezers) isn't cooling and must need recharged. Gotta figure out how to do that so we can get some cooler air back there. The air conditioner in our bedroom isn't cooling like it should, either.

Hope the rest of your week is a good one!

Carol said...

Oh!!!!! So excited that you got the issues with the fauxdoris solved!!! They are so pretty ♥ The humidity here is crazy too and so is the Fybro... so today was a test of indurance for me. I think I have survived and everything that HAD to be done was completed. Tomorrow is another day :)

~*~Patty S said...

Oh your red leather books with the soft suede insides just beg to be touched...they turned out great!
If only I had such a stickem product when our boys were in scouts...hand sewing those patches on was never my favorite or best work.
I applaud you downsizing...I keep trying in spurts. It's terrible how you open a couple of boxes to go through (inherited parents stuff mostly) and the items and memories just explode into the room...being sentimental is a hindrance I find.
Little Ian is precious and I can already see him sporting some special overalls with a decal or more.
Oh and great cloud shots...I enjoy the sky and nature in general so very much.
oxo

ChicagoLady said...

You kind of lost me with the explanation of how you made the red leather and suede fauxdoris, but you being happy with how they turned out is the most important part.

So glad you are starting to work on the downsizing. I know once the time comes for you to move to your new 1 bedroom with a den, second story, facing south (did I forget anything?) you will be ready.

Divers and Sundry said...

Both versions of Wallander and Big Bang. I would fit in well at your house ;) Happy T Tuesday (late).

Krisha said...

Hi Rita,
My you have been busy. I'm in love with your red leather books, they turned out fantastic. I remember Heat and Bond form the days that I did a lot of sewing...great stuff!

Ian is getting so big, so fast. What a doll he is and how cute he will be in is overalls.

We have been having clouds this summer, not a common thing around here, usually jut hot a gray. But with clouds comes the humidity, something else we are not accustom too. The clouds always remind me of your pictures, so there are little prayers uttered constantly for you. I also keep thinking I need to take some pictures of these clouds and post them the way you do. I always enjoy seeing them.

Down sizing, early, really is a good thing. No need in hauling stuff to the new place just to turn around and haul it back out. Wish we were closer I would be happy to buy that desk from you, the chair....not so much since I am 5'8" tall. The foot rest would probably hit under my knees.......LOL

As usual, thanks for visiting my blog for tea, hope to visit you again next week.

Feral Turtle said...

You will be busy with all that sewing. I love little coveralls. They are always so cute on little ones. Sounds like you are looking forward to a good week. I watched The Killing and was in awe of the entire series. Loved the way it was filmed on gloomy looking days; so dark and ominous! One of the better shows out there for sure.

Eliza said...

Hi Rita & Karma,

What a brilliant mistake those red books look fantastic and what a champion you are for starting your downsizing. I am sure you will find a worth home for you loved furniture with light speed. Oh and Ian is such a growing treasure, he will look amazing in those overalls, all little men should have overalls.

Have a wonderful week, try and stay cool and give Karma a pat from me.

Hugs Eliza

TwinkleToes2day said...

Super fabulous books you crated. They look so professional. The little lad is coming along and looks so cute laying there playing. When my children were small they had a Guines Pig called Karma. Cool name :D

Victoria Zigler said...

I just love little baby and toddler boys in overalls... They always look so cute!

Downsizing when you're getting ready to move is a great idea; no point taking things with you that you don't need, don't want, or can't use.

Give Karma some loving from me!

Serena Lewis said...

Well done on down-sizing, Rita! Since I moved my art studio and computer desk into the one room, I'm using a much smaller desk for my art space. I thought it would be way too small for me but it's working out just fine.

The fauxdoris look fabulous! Clever idea!

Ian will look adorable in his Made-by-Grandma over-alls. I used to sew girlie-style over-alls for Michelle as she was growing up. Lots of different fabrics and colour contrasts...so cute! I love overalls and wore them myself for quite a few years. They were a common style of dress when we lived in Wyoming. It seems that they are making a bit of a fashion come-back at the moment.

Happy Tuesday to you...or Wednesday as the case may be here. :)

Love and hugs ~ xo


Jo-Anne's Ramblings said...

Freecycle is great I use it a lot and have gotten some great things from it.

It is cold and wet here still but I don't have to go out much in fact I don't go out much I am very much a homebody nowadays

Amy Putkonen said...

Hi Rita,

I am from MN and when I read your post it was raining here and I was like, "Where are you from?" Fargo. That's cool. I am getting your rain now.

I could relate to so many things in your post. LOVE the suede notebook covers. Good stuff! I also love the downsizing. I am downsizing too this month. My husband Eric and I dropped off 8 paper bags full of books this week at Half Price Books. We got $60 for it and then went out to a nice dinner at the Cheesecake Factory. Good luck with it!

I am new to the whole T for Tuesdays thing, but it seems that this is a nice group. Like your mug!

Anonymous said...

Lovely book covers and great sky shots.

Far Side of Fifty said...

What a happy accident getting the heat and bond! Your little books look great! That is a really cute pattern...you can sew up a storm..I love the jacket too...you could coordinate a few pants to go with the same jacket :)

Anonymous said...

I thought of all these things to say then I saw your quote and they all went away.
Everyone thinks of Casey Kasem when they hear that....I never knew Theodore Roosevelt said it first. Wow!

Who knew? probably many, like you...but I sure didn't.

we are positively visualizing for you!!

TammyV said...

I bought patterns for gdaughter when she was crawling - I got bigger ones because I know me. They're still unused and I do believe she has outgrown them. Sigh. I used to love sewing. I guess not so much anymore. I'm on a borrowed machine and threading the bobbin is a total pain. I'd love to have my Mom's all backward and forward machine, instead of one with so many gadgets I'll never use. Love the bookcovers!

Harvest Moon by Hand said...

The photos of the clouds are beautiful! Too bad the chair didn't work...but you need to be comfortable and have a chair that helps you and not causes any more pain.

The fauxdori booklets are beautiful. You have so many creative talents!