Sunday, August 20, 2017

Sunday-12:30pm

Over two weeks again--good grief!  Let's just say I was very busy (sewing mostly), was stressed over the dentist appointment, had a family visit from Minneapolis, and more or less collapsed for a few days--LOL!  But here I am.  Sadly, was so shot that I forgot to take pictures of the family visit...but you know I have a few pics to share after two weeks.  ;)
****
I have not made it down for the CCCgroup on Thursdays for three weeks (sewing and then dentist) but I did make it down for library day a couple weeks ago.  (Rented an audio book I could listen to while I sewed.)  Back then the goose with the bad foot was still here and being fed and given water down at the other building.  She had been almost healed the week before but then she was limping badly again.  I haven't seen her for almost two weeks OR found evidence left behind from visits for water.  When family was here we drove past the culverts a couple blocks away and the hundreds of geese were down to maybe 20-25--so maybe she took off with the rest of them?  I will probably find out more when I can finally make it down to library and possibly CCC this week (if it is still going).
****
All the birds and critters were thrilled that the goose wasn't spending all that time down here anymore.
Don't they look happy?
I even caught a picture of Annie watching a ground squirrel, the baby bunny, and a sparrow all there at the same time.
Way back--three Saturdays ago--right after I posted last time--Annie jumped up and laid on the footrest of the big comfy chair right between my legs!  Shock!  She didn't stay but a few minutes and was quite ill at ease--but she did it once, so who knows?!!  I was shocked and delighted.  And I am patient.  ;)
****
I've been away so long--these are the dangle doodling books I ordered the beginning of the month.  Haven't had a chance to try them yet, but hopefully pretty soon.  :)
I was mostly sewing...
...and sewing.  
Was determined to get all of Leah's pads and pantyliners finished before my dentist appointment on the 17th.  And I did--whoohoo!!  :) :)
Leah got all the snaps on them and took them home.  All 36 of them!!  
****
I think I'll wait a while before I work on mine.  In the meantime, I have a few to try to see what size and fabrics I like the best.  Have one more to put together, actually, before I can put the sewing machine away for a while.  
****
We've had some beautiful days...many cloudy, rainless days...some dribble days...a couple of steady rain days...days needing the AC on because it was so hot...days I relented and put the AC on when it wasn't that hot but the 90% humidity got to me...and gorgeously perfect days.  Can't complain.  
The big exciting thing I ordered this month--thanks to Dagan and Leah letting me skip a monthly payment (I'm always paying them back for things they pick up for me)--that really took my mind off the dentist stress...an A5 cover from ChicSparrow.com!!
Even engraved with "soulcomfort" on the front down in the bottom right hand corner.
My bullet fits inside...
...and there's room for three inserts, too.
I didn't like white elastic (gets dirty so fast) so I ordered some black from them.  Had to string the elastic through the back of the bullet (Leuchtturm1917) anyways.  I am loving the new weekly spread...
...and I LOVE the new cover!!!
It's a Mr. Darcy classic (no pockets) in Titanic color (turquoise).
****
I was surprised that she sent along some little goodies, too.  This sticker with the flowers and bird (stuck in the front of the bullet--will probably write name and number inside).
Not a surprise--sticker with company name on, but also one with a beautifully drawn feather.  Stuck these on the back side of the bullet and dated so I'll remember when the cover came.
And she even sent a leather coaster!
This was a big purchase for me, but I figured that I have been using the bullet system for over 2 1/2 years now and love it more all the time so I will get years and years of use out of this.  And I wanted one because I can make inserts I can keep inside with my bullet (there are four elastic strands inside and I'm only using one for the bullet)...to keep more permanent lists, more transient lists, scribble notes, brain dumping, or even put in a drawing or watercolor insert if I wanted.  I can make inserts that have pockets, too, if I want to.
****
It would be nice to have my list of baby steps for making pads permanently in an insert, for example.  I have had to re-write it already from bullet to bullet.  So for anything like that...now I will have inserts!  I know--love to be organized--LOL!  ;)
****
Saturday the 12th my mom, brother Blaine and his wife Kathy drove up for their annual visit.  We had such a nice time.  Mom wanted to see my flowers--and approved.  (She's a flower lover from way back.) We drove over to McFamily's, had pizza, looked at pictures of Blaine and Kathy's travels, and old photos from the 1930s Mom brought with she borrowed from her cousin Carol.  Ian wanted Gramma to read him books and somehow an hour flew by before his bedtime.  Ian even wanted me to come up while he got ready for bed and to say goodnight, which he's never asked before.  We hadn't seen each other for quite a while.  So, got to see all kinds of family that day.  Sweet! 
****
But did I remember to take any pictures?  Nope.  Darn it!
****  
Back to sewing...
I got all the red ones finished...       
...and really pushed it to get all the brown and red ones done, too, to surprise Leah when she came over for a craft night last Tuesday.
Three different sizes. 
 Leah got all the snaps on that night so she could take them home.
Leah, Ian and I went to PetSmart late on that same Tuesday afternoon--after Caroline was here to clean and Ian got up from his nap.  Ian was enthralled by all the fish, rodents, and birds.  We picked out a betta (mostly Gramma did because Ian was glued to the long row of fish tanks bubbling away).

By the time we got done it was time for Dagan to get off work so he met us at my place and we picked up Hardee's for dinner.  We ate while the betta floated for 15 minutes.  Ian was happy he got to help dump "Bubbles the 18th" into the bowl.  (I believe that is what number we are up to--LOL!)
****
Then Dagan took Ian home and Leah stayed for craft night.  I wanted to know if it was possible to print vertical lines--you know, the long way on a piece of paper?  (Leah is familiar with the alien world of Excel.)  Yes!!!!
****
So we printed off sheets of paper printed on both sides...
...that I can fold to use to make lined inserts!!! 
I was thrilled!!  We even made them with colored lines!  Blue, turquoise, brown, gray...so cool!!
****
The next day--this was this last Wednesday--I totally collapsed.  Hadn't been sleeping very well...thinking about the dentist pulling the make-shift tooth out.  But the new bullet cover and all the sewing kept me very busy, thank goodness.
****
Thursday.
****
Dentist day.
****
So many years ago that I can't remember (in the 80s I think) the tooth next to my front tooth had root canal work done and was capped.  Let's just say that I have had quite a few horrible experiences with dentists.  I do like the dentist I have had these past years--Dr. Coffey.  He's very nice, knows what he's doing, has a beautifully furnished waiting room, knows how to administer Novocaine properly and isn't reluctant to use it.  ;)
****
But when I first moved up here from Minneapolis in 1999 to Moorhead, Minnesota across the river there was only one older dentist listed in the area who would take Medicaid...and he was HORRIBLE!!  He was the roughest, rudest, meanest dentist--well, person, for that matter--I have ever dealt with.  His wife was the only other person in the office.  She was the receptionist, dental assistant, and his all-around additional whipping boy.  (I would say scapegoat, but that's way to mild a description.)  I say "additional" because he treated all humans with equal disdain.  He appeared to treat no one but people on Medicaid (no surprise) and likely the only person who would work for him was his silent, defeated, hangdog wife.
****
His tiny waiting room was dirty with worn plastic chairs, a dusty half destroyed plastic plant in the corner, and three bent wire hangers on a dented pole.  No one hung up anything.  People clung to their coats and purses.  I have never been in a waiting room where people scooted out in a panic before their names were called just listening to the dentist shout and berate...and people whose names were called volunteered to let anyone else go first.  I am not joking.  It freaked me out before I even met him.  Have you ever heard of such a thing?  Like a bad movie!
****
The dentist complained the entire time you were in his chair...about the fact he was required by law to wear gloves now, the gloves made it hard for him to work properly, which was the fault of those people with aides and diseases...no one else will even work on you people, you should be glad you are even here, I'm not wasting any more Novocaine on you, they don't pay me enough to work on you people, open wider, I said open wider, I swear you people are so stupid you can't follow simple instructions, be glad I will deal with you at all, don't move, stop shaking, you people moving cause mistakes to happen, it's your own fault, quit drooling (he hated saliva but he hated his wife sucking it out of your mouth more and getting in his way so he stuck those cotton rolls up under your lips--thinking it absorbed saliva and--added bonus--made it harder for us to talk...not that anyone wanted to).  I don't know why I do this at all, you people don't appreciate anything...all the while barking orders and complaints at his wife.  He was rough--really rough.  Physically and verbally.
**** 
After one time in his chair I understood why people chickened out before they were called.  I felt it down to my bones why people tried to trade away their time slot because they needed more time to get up their nerve to walk back there...and why this wasn't an unusual occurrence for his wife-receptionist who didn't bat an eye at the sudden appointment trades.  
****
I had a couple of cavities and he made it very clear that he would only spend 15 minutes on each client (victim)--so I had to come back to get the second one filled.  (I'm sure he could collect more money that way.)  
****
Second visit--he was filling that other cavity, pushing, bumping, banging against my teeth, as he had the time before...when he suddenly stopped talking.  (Let's be honest--it wasn't talking, it was bitching and verbal degradation.)  Anyways, the sudden silence made his wife lift her head...and that was also unusual.  He muttered something to her instead of barking it at full volume.  He drilled and messed with the cavity--grunting and sighing, but he was too quiet.  Next thing he was pushing up against my front teeth?  Complaining I had taken too long, I was rushed out of the room (nothing unusual there).  I'm thinking--with great relief--that I am done for now.  Cavities filled and had no intentions of going back for...years!
****
I get home and notice this thin gray line kind of oozing out from the gum on that next to the front capped tooth.  What the heck?!
****
In a matter of hours the tooth fell out!!  You could tell it had broken off at the gum line and he'd tried to cement it back on.  I knew he had been rough and it hurt, but it had the time before, too.  This tooth had no nerve, so it hurt when he broke it off, but not like a good tooth would, you know?  
****
I had to call his office back...he made me wait a week without a front tooth.  (I bought Polygrip and was very quiet that week at college--LOL!).  He tried to blame it on me for jerking my head around!  I calmly informed him that I had not moved...at all.  Asked him why he didn't tell me he'd broken the tooth off and had tried to hide it?  He grumbled and muttered, but never answered me.  (Might be the only reason he tried to do anything with it at all?)
****
He took the capped tooth, drilled out the center of it as best he could (complaining the whole time how hard it was to do with gloves on), put cement inside the tooth, cut a post (didn't want to waste much wire on me because other dentists told me it was too short of a post), stuck the post inside the broken off tooth, impatiently waited for it to set (hated to wait for Novocaine to work, either, and started too soon), and then pushed the tooth up in there...and rushed me out.  All the while telling me how grateful I should be that he was even doing this at all because the state wouldn't pay for a tooth to be replaced and he could have left me toothless.
****
It fell out--can't remember how long it took--a couple weeks?
****
He was really angry that I was back.  Kind of pounded it back in, reminded me how grateful I should be that he bothered with me at all, told me not to use that tooth, and not to come back if it did fall out because he wasn't going to deal with it again.  
****
I thought I had been babying it, but now I did even more so.  By the time it fell out again they had opened a new family clinic that took Medicaid in Fargo that had rotating dentists.  Hallelujah!!  I got a nice young dentist who did a much better job of pounding it back in (probably because he gave me Novocaine).  He seemed worried it would just fall right out again and said I probably couldn't get a tooth if it wouldn't stay in.  Let's just say he didn't seem confident I would have the tooth for long.  I think this was somewhere around 2001-2002? 
****
I have obviously been babying it for many years.  Dr. Coffey thought I must have hit it or done something to cause it to come loose after all this time when I haven't done anything different, you know?  Truth is, Ian bonked me right in the teeth when I was picking him up one day sitting in the kitchen chair here and I think that might have been what knocked it loose.  I couldn't think of anything at the time, but later I remembered the hard tooth bang from Ian a couple weeks before I felt it was really loose.  Not his fault, regardless.  It was amazing that tooth has stayed in all these years.
****
So, Thursday was T-Day.  
****
It didn't take much to pull it right out.  He couldn't drill the tooth/cap out to replace the short peg wire.  Not sure if the root has a fracture or not--couldn't tell by the x-ray.  So what he did was drill around the peg to make the surface rough, cleaned up around the gum line, roughed up the root around the gum , and used a tooth bonding material to attach the make-shift tooth back up on to the root and cleaned it all up afterwards.  Dr. Coffey didn't seem any more confident afterwards than the other nice rotating dentist did.  Told me--"Remember, this is for show not go...baby it...baby it".  I told him I have been babying it for about fifteen years, so I am used to doing that.  Hopefully it will last a long, long time.   
****
So, I have my make-shift tooth back.      

After the dentist Leah treated us to Dairy Queen ice cream (me and Ian).  I  was on soft food, no chewing, and warm salt water rinses for a few days.  We went out in the garage to re-pot Baby Phil and Ivy.
 Ivy is temporarily over on Ian's toy shelves.
Baby Phil had lost so many leaves he was 3/4 just stems and he needed some fertilizer, too.  Normally I would have chopped him up but Leah said we could wrap all the stems around and around and bury them under the dirt. 
I'd never done that before, so she helped me with that.  He's looking pretty good! 
****
So, that's the last couple weeks.
****
I have a tooth--for however long.  Done with Leah's sewing and got the plants re-potted.  All the "time sensitive" projects are done!!  Was super sore--therefore not sleeping well and super tired--but some R&R days are beginning to work their magic.  It feels so good that I don't have anything that has to be done--tada!  Not that I don't have a ton of plans, of course, for when I am feeling my oats again...but it is just the usual daily stuff and R&R for now.  I'm glad I have finally blogged!!  I've had to take breaks and it is now almost 5pm--but I am done and you are all caught up.
****
Leah is due one week from today!!!!
The new baby sibling has dropped.  Locked and loaded.  Any time now.  I will let you know when the baby decides it is time to join McFamily.  Oh, and this time Leah is going to the hospital right off because she has a midwife who also delivers--best of both worlds.  :)
****
And Miss Annie...I think she likes it here.  She doesn't run as far away when I stand up.  She seems to miss me when I am gone (although that could be wishful thinking--LOL!).  One day I had to laugh...Annie will sit right by the open patio screen door and isn't bothered at all by a big goose, the riding lawn mower, people walking dogs--big or small...but one day she heard little kids laughing and squealing...and she was under the bed in a flash--ROFL!!  So I know she'll be happier here with me.  ;)
****
I hope none of you have horrible dentist stories (that was only one of mine).  I wouldn't wish them on anyone.  And I am sooooo grateful that Dr. Coffey still takes Medicaid because since Trump got into office I was told by my worker that "North Dakota lost a whole bunch of dentists who decided not to take Medicaid anymore".  Thank you, Dr. Coffey!!  
****
Have a wonderful week!
Count your blessings!!
Big smile!!!!
Much love from Fargo.  :) :)
****
"When you do things from your soul, the river itself moves through you.  Freshness and a deep joy are signs of the current."
Rumi

23 comments:

Jon said...

Rita, I was just in the process of posting a comment on your blog when we had a power failure! I'm not sure if the comment was successfully posted or not. Anyway, just to let you know I was here!

DJan said...

Oh, so lovely to see your post and get caught up again. I'm glad to hear Annie is beginning to mellow a little. Your dentist story is simply awful! And now hopefully it will stay, at least for awhile. Fingers crossed for a happy and stress free delivery for Leah. :-)

GrandmaG said...

What a nightmare! I hate going to the dentist. I inherited my dad's bad teeth so had a lot of problems growing up. Of course it didn't help that my parents never took their kids in for regular check-ups and cleanings! Right after I got my first full-time job with benefits, I went to the dentist and learned I had 12 cavities! A lot of money, time, and pain later, I always stick to regular visits even paying out of pocket for a third cleaning every year. So glad you still have your tooth. I see a lot of soup in your future :)

My name is Erika. said...

I bet you are very excited for Leah to have her baby. Hopefully she won't be late and you have to wait too long. And I hope the goose has healed and rejoined her flock. And wow, you have been busy sewing and like you, I love the new journal and cover. Let us know when the new baby arrives. Hugs-Erika

Jon said...

My previous comment was obviously lost when we had the power failure here in TN. I was just in the process of trying to post it.

Anyway, the dentist that you described sounds like he was really insane. He should have been reported. I have an intense fear of dentists, due to some past horrible experiences. I presently have three broken teeth. I'm not only apprehensive about seeing a dentist - I also can't afford it!
Ironically, the best dentist I ever had was a woman. Some of the men are nuts....

Also - believe it or not - I once had a dentist named Dr. Coffey. It was long ago in California when I was a kid.

It looks like Annie is finally feeling comfortable in her new home. She has a lot of interesting critters to watch from your glass door.
I like the photos of the clouds.

Far Side of Fifty said...

I am so glad you got your tooth fixed! And Annie is getting more friendly! You have been busy and it is always good to catch up with you! :)

Mersad said...

I hope everything goes well for Leah. Wish you guys all the best. Love your planner cover. The color is great and your handwriting an artform :)

Mersad
Mersad Donko Photography

Anonymous said...

Do Dagan & Leah know the sex of the new baby?

Janie Junebug said...

What an abusive dentist! Hideous person. I'm excited about the baby. I want to know when the contractions start. In spite of working on the you-know-what everyday, I'm only about one-third of the way done. I guess I should have chosen something a little less detailed. Love your new "soulcomfort" cover and so glad Annie has a lot to watch on CatTV.

Love,
Janie

Divers and Sundry said...

Looks like Annie is blossoming under your patient care :) I love the betta. Such a lovely color.

Your dentist story belongs in the horror section. Yikes!

pearshapedcrafting said...

Oh Rita! I do love reading your posts! Good to hear that Annie is becoming a little braver! What dreadful dentist tales though! Love the new planner cover! Take care! Hugs, Chrisx

Jo-Anne's Ramblings said...

I cannot sew and I hate the dentist and this story doesn't help my fear and dislike of the dentist

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Goodness, Rita. You were sure put through a lot with that old dentist. I'm sure you could complain to the medical community, but I'm not sure if that would include medicade (or whatever you are on).

Leah looks good and she seems in good spirits, too.

That's a lovely cover, and those diapers are out of this world. Have a super week, dear and BABY that tooth (grin).

Lady Fi said...

You MUST change dentists immediately! My dentists spends a very long time with me, and once, when a cap fell off, she fixed it at once and for free!

Rosie said...

I don't know how you put up for so long with such a horrible dentist! I am glad you have found another one now. Your planner cover is lovely too. Looking forward to reading more from you. I have a blog which I hope you might find time to read. http://arelbeehome.blogspot.com

Sherry Ellis said...

You've been busy! I like your cover. Very nice! And I'm glad the goose seems to be better.

Bummer about the dentist. I think you need to look for a new one.

Dee said...

Dear Rita, you certainly do keep busy. I so admire your commitment to crafts and to making wonderfully useful items and to keeping track of all this. I was sorry to learn of your horrible dental experience. Peace.

froebelsternchen said...

Your dentist story really sounds horrible Rita!
Leah looks very good!
You were so so busy with sewing!
Congrats on the new tooth and good luck with it!
I am impressed with this wonderful journal cover - great bullet journal!
oxo Susi
All the best

InvisiblyMe said...

36?! Wow, you were busy! And I love that embossed cover, looks very smart! I've not used any colouring books but I've seen similar, Zen colouring, and people seem to rave about them so hopefully you'll enjoy doing them! I'm glad you got the tooth sorted out but I'm sorry you've had a tough time with it all, I don't envy you. The Dairy Queen sounds like it was much needed (I went once when I worked in Indianapolis for 6 weeks, about 10 years ago, I could have lived in that place, gorgeous ice creams & shakes!)
:)
Caz xx

Jenny Woolf said...

My, that dentist sounds like something out of a Stephen King novel! How horrible. You're always helpless with dentists, it's so hard to know what they have been up to when you are lying there with your mouth open. But I'm glad you have a temporary tooth now. On a happier note, the embossed cover is gorgeous! And my goodness, Leah with just a week to go - well she may have had it by now! It seems no time since you told us she was expecting.

I am glad that Annie is settling down. She must enjoy that bird soap opera outside your window LOL!

Serena Lewis said...

It sounds like you had a lovely visit with family. Cute that Ian wanted you to be there while he got ready for bed.

I hope the injured goose is okay wherever she went. A shame she was limping again.

You have quite a group of feathered visitors there...and the groud squirrel, of course.

I'm so happy to hear that Annie jumped up and laid on the footrest of her own accord...I think your patience will pay off as it sounds like she is definitely coming around. She certainly sounds happy to me.

Enjoy your books.

You have been busy at the sewing machine. Well done.

We are getting some lovely days here too....spring officially starts here on September 1st although we usually go straight to summer-like weather.

Love the colour of your book cover.

Aaron has a Siamese Fighting fish in similar colours and bigger...he's had it for a year. I hope Bubbles lives a long, happy life.

That old dentist sounded downright NASTY! A dentist who hated saliva obviously picked the wrong profession. I'm so glad all the dentists I've seen have been so lovely. I still dislike going to them because I hate having my mouth open for so long and being afraid to swallow.

That old dentist would have been blacklisted or out of work if he tried that same attitude nowadays. I'm glad your tooth is all sorted...remember to baby it!

Baby Phil does look quite good...clever idea, Leah!

I wish Leah all the best for the delivery. Will be thinking of you all.

Love and hugs xo

andi filante said...

Hi Rita!!! I know I've been absent, but what are these pads?! I'm seriously intrigued and making 3rd-grade jokes in my head all at the same time. =D I am completely horrified by your dentist story. My sister has been a hygienist for years and I've never heard anything so bad! I now know what Annie's outline looks like from her picture above lol. And holy smokes! Leah looks so ready to go! Maybe by the time I get this submitted, she'll have already delivered! I've missed you!

xo
-andi

Harvest Moon by Hand said...

What a nightmare dentist. Some people should not be in the service profession. Happy to hear you at least had one dentist who was more compassionate. The cover for your bullet journal is beautiful. I like how "Soulcomfort" is on the front cover. Your plant is looking great! You've been busy sewing!