Monday, May 27, 2019

5-27-2019 Monday-1:15pm

Good afternoon!
The week started out busy.  I worked on the second set of three-tree cards.
Used up a couple rolls of old carpet tape... 
...inserting these three green plaid trees. 
I finished them all.  
The next step was to put skinny double-sided tape around the outside edges, but I never got to that part. 
Leah was over on Wednesday night to finish putting together the teacher's gifts.  You may remember she had gotten them this far.  The thank you dies glued on and Ian's gelli plate art cut up and...
...taped on to the backside.  Then tape ready around the edges. 

All that was left was to tape those fronts to the card stock base.
She got them put together.  Each set was six cards. 
 Then Leah did wrap them in the packing paper Ian, Dagan, and I had played with last year with mark making tools and craft paint.  Each teacher also got a thank you card (different ones--LOL!).  Nice! 
****
Okay--then on Thursday I made the mistake of deciding I would try to sleep in my bed again.  Been a long time.  I missed my bed.  My back has been doing okay.  If I am careful about what I do and how I move I've stayed pretty much in the ballpark of my usual limited life, you know?  Thought I'd tough it out.  If I didn't move I could tolerate lying there (sleep on my sides).  But I was really hurting when I went to get out of bed!  It hurt to move...at all.
****
So, that little experiment resulted in three chair days where I slowly got better and better.  I was actually doing pretty well yesterday, but decided to take another day to see if I could get back to my new normal.  Yup!  Today I am doing laundry, moving around (slowly, of course), and can sit at the table to type again.  Not going to try to lay on my side again.  That's not an option anymore--LOL!
****
On Wednesday I go for my Real ID driver's license renewal.  Like I said--60 days late, so I might end up with a North Dakota ID card if they refuse to renew it.  I haven't driven in a few years and don't have a car, so it wouldn't be much of a loss.  Nice to have in case of an emergency or something, though.  I'll find out.
****
After that...since I think we are all fairly healthy for now (Leah gives me rides, bless her)...I should finally attempt to get to some of my long postponed appointments (new rheumatologist, eye doctor, dentist).  I going to try to hit them all this summer. 
****    
 Can you tell I hate going to appointments.  If I am going to deplete myself of spoons and end up shot for days...I'd rather it was for something fun...like going to Baker Nursery to buy flowers for my planters.  ;)  And that will be next!  Whoohoo!!  
****
It's Memorial Day here in the United States.  If you are celebrating, I hope you have good weather.  Well, no matter where you are or what you are doing, I hope you have good weather.  Since I don't have TV and only have internet I never see the news anymore.  I just found out about the numerous tornadoes in the Midwest here and all the flooding and the fires in Florida.  I hope everybody is safe...everywhere!  
****
Today here it is supposed to get up to 65F and then be in the 70s the rest of the week.  Hopefully I'll get to something else I have been procrastinating--doing the Marie Kondo thing with all my clothing.  I guess I had best get to it before it really does get hot here.  (That's 80 for me--LOL!)  Now that my back is better again I can get to the bigger projects on my list.
****
 I am contentedly sleeping in my recliner now.  I never thought when I was younger that I would be this happy just to be able to do my laundry--LOL!  Appreciate everything you've got while you've got it...everyone in your life while you have them...and remember those who have passed before you.  Counting your blessings always makes for a better day.  :) :)
****
Instead of my normal quote I am going to leave you with my very favorite refrigerator magnet.  

16 comments:

Rita said...

Comment to get comments. :)

Jenny Woolf said...

It's wonderful to know you're caught up enough to be looking past the dull appointments and onto the nice events. And you are so right about counting the blessings. I hope you have a lovely week, Rita.

Bonnie said...

The Christmas cards are coming along very nicely and I love the teacher's cards! What a nice gift for them. I'm sorry it didn't work out for you to sleep in your bed. It is a good thing you have a recliner that you like to sleep in. I like to take naps in my recliner since you can get it adjusted just right.

Living in the Midwest I can tell you we have had some wild weather for a couple of weeks now. There have been lots of storms and tornado warnings and we've had to spend some time in our basement due to the tornados. We also have water in our basement due to all the excessive rain which just makes for more work.

Good luck getting your Real ID driver's license. I still have some time before I have to get mine but Tom has been getting paperwork together for his which is due soon.

Take care Rita and enjoy the season!

Divers and Sundry said...

I like the designs of both the Christmas and Thank you cards. I'm wondering if some kind of topper for your bed would help -an egg-crate-type pad or something. I'm glad your back is recovered. I'm glad to hear folks are healthy. Summer is a good time of year for appointments. Mine keep working their way later and later in the year. We're having sunshine and highs in the 90s for this holiday weekend. Nice! Counting blessings is always a good way to appreciate the present :) I love that quote.

pearshapedcrafting said...

Your cards all look great - good job done! So sorry you had a fail using your bed - I used to fine our caravan bed really uncomfortable but we bought a VERY thick topper and I sleep as well as at home now! I have a lot of my drawers Kondoed - so much easier to find things! Love the fridge magnet quote!

I noticed that none of my comments were published over quite a few weeks - I know I wasn't able to comment on my phone so I left some using our lap top and it seems that failed too!!

Hugs, Chrisx

Janie Junebug said...

So sorry about your back and not being able to sleep in bed. The plaid trees are great and the cards for teachers are lovely. I hate appointments, too!

Love,
Janie

DJan said...

I have my annual doctor's appointment today. I don't like appointments either, unless it's with my acupuncturist, which I love dearly, if you can imagine that. Love the thank you cards, they are just right! And glad you've recovered from your bed fiasco, Rita.

Far Side of Fifty said...

perfect cards! I am glad to hear that you are working on some crafts again. Better get those Dr appts in during the summer instead of the winter! We have appts every week...this week only three practically a week off:)

Jo-Anne's Ramblings said...

I am pleased that I can still do stuff like the laundry and vacuuming

As usual your cards are so nice

Jon said...

I'm sorry that your back problems are still keeping you from sleeping in bed - but it's good that you can at least get around. I agree that, as we get older, we start really appreciating all the little things that we used to take for granted.

I still have incredible back problems... but I can sleep in bed, IF my head is elevated and IF I only stay in one position all night (which drives me crazy).

Those thank you cards (and envelopes) are beautiful!

Lady Fi said...

I love love the message on your fridge magnet!

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Only three days late visiting, Rita. Life got a bit out of control this past week.

NO SHORT JOKES says the gal who is 4'11"! Darling magnet, regardless.

LOVE those cards. Great teacher's gift, too. Hope you are still doing OK.

Serena Lewis said...

At last, I get a chance to comment on your blog. YAY!

Love the three tree cards! Nice Thank You cards too...nice idea for the teachers!

OMG, your poor back! I can relate with lying in bed because I have no option but to lie on my back at the moment while my hip heals and I've having back pain issues. I hope I won't have trouble with back pain lying on my sides when I'm able. It's like I can feel the discs in my spine move and cause extreme pain when I turn a certain way. I've even needed help getting out of bed on a few occasions. You have my sympathy...back pain can be so intense. I'm glad it settled for you but do take things easy, my friend.

I hope all went well with you renewing your licence.

We've been having some lovely cold mornings. Our winter officially starts June 1st (tomorrow).

I understand what you mean re. happy doing the laundry. The past four weeks, I've been so dependent for help with being on two crutches. Now, I've progressed to one crutch and I'm thrilled that I can carry my own coffee or meal to the lounge — among other things. Still lots I need help with but even being able to some things on my own now makes me so happy.

Nice quote!

Stay well,

Love and hugs xo

TammyVitale said...

I with you on appointments and I too am playing catch up with a lot of things. So I can totally sympathize!

Gorgeous cards, as always. I'll bet the teachers love them!

The magnet is wonderful! A good reminder. I keep a sign that says "Great things take time" next to my computer. I tend to be impatient. I'm learning that not everything is or need to be fast.

Glad your back to back to your new normal. Hope it stays that way. Enjoy your temps (we had a heat index o 100 yesterday - and muggy. very very mugghy). LOTS of rain today. It's supposed to chase away the heat and we may even see a day in the 70s again next Monday - I'm ready!

froebelsternchen said...

Wo the teachers will will love those fabulous cards.
And your refrigirator quote is super !

Take good care of you my friend!
Happy June!

Susi

Harvest Moon by Hand said...

That's a really clever use for carpet tape. The trees look beautiful. I LOVE the thank you cards too. Just lovely! You all are so creative and inspiring!!