Monday, February 06, 2023

February 6, 2023 Monday--12:45am

Good barely Monday!  

I've kind of been okay with starting to work on the blog on Sundays--especially since I have felt so crummy for so long and can only do a little at a time.  Been working on this since this afternoon...and now it is technically Monday--so I will post early again.  :)

Well, got diarrhea so couldn't make it anywhere on Monday and had to cancel the CT scan.  Leah dropped off Imodium.  Sooo miserable.  Nicki (my nurse navigator at Sanford) wanted me to get in to the walk-in clinic and I finally made it into urgent care Tuesday evening.  Yes, I have shingles.  I got an anti-viral prescription and another one for nerve pain (that apparently does nothing for the actual sharp burning pain when I'm awake but has been helping me sleep better--so, I'll take it--lol!).  

[Note: I had to laugh--Essentia finally called me on Tuesday afternoon...to make an appointment for an infusion.  No thank you.  Now they know I am getting my cancer care elsewhere.]

Anyone who's had shingles knows this has been one horrible week.  I was too miserable to make it to see my new oncologist on Friday--blisters bursting and awful pain.  (Plus the boys were both sick with the stomach flu Thursday night.)  So nice to have Nicki now.  She takes care of cancelling and rescheduling my appointments for me and keeps in touch.  I am re-scheduled for my CT scan on Tuesday (which I want to make come hell or high water!) and for meeting Dr. Failing on Monday the 13th (so I will post next Sunday probably).  Been a rough week...and still feeling about the same.  Miserable.  But the blisters have been crusting over now, so I don't think I am contagious anymore or won't be soon.

All this makes the end of the month tasks so difficult to pull off...like banking, getting my rent check down to the office (Leah saved the day for me), filling out a wad of paperwork for the state, birthday cards, and setting up my bullet for February.  I managed.  Barely.  But even the movement for writing or typing is more painful...well, even sitting perfectly still is painful--lol!  Wearing clothes...showering...you name it.  Shingles is the pits.  Believe it when people tell you--lol!  I had one shot but not the second one (forgot in the maze of health issues)...so if this is better than I might have had...whew!!  I can't imagine.  Of course Keytruda seems to have made everything worse for me, so who knows?  

I have had letters to set up for answering...but haven't been physically up to it yet.  Sorry.  Hopefully this week, my paper chat friends.  :)  

Caroline, my former cleaning girl for over a decade, called and we chatted up a storm!  She has a new baby girl, Sophie, who's already 4 1/2 months old!  I can't believe her Parker is already seven!  I've known her since she was a young college girl.  Was soooo nice to catch up.  :)  

Well, you may remember my showing you this cupboard jammed full of cups and glasses.  There was no room for my new tea cups and most of my Yeti cups I use all the time.  I did clean and purge in here the week before last but forgot to get pictures.  Obviously didn't do this last week when I was barely functional--this was pre-shingles--lol!

 It is not really reorganized totally yet--but look at all that room!!  I was ruthless!

Two small boxes full to donate!
I did find a sentimental little glass I will use for my daily pill glass.
My late dearest friend, Ruby, and I used to hit all the antique and junk places together when I lived in Wisconsin.  This silly little glass was probably an old jelly jar at one time, but I fell in love with it on sight.  Bought it for a quarter or less, as I recall.  Used it as a juice glass for years.  It was in the back of the cupboard...sadly forgotten.  Now I will use it every day...and smile...as I think of sweet Ruby.  :) :)

Was super cold all week until Saturday.
When it is really cold...
...it is constantly busy at the Critter Cafe.
Even the arctic hares come when it is light out.
We had wind chill warnings day after day again for a while.
Occasionally a covey of partridges hid under the little tables to avoid the wind.  (There were eight of them packed under there.)  The cotton tails like to huddle under there, too, sometimes.
Saturday it went from -29 wind chill during the night to 34 degrees during the day!  Supposed to be 36 degrees today!  Crazy weather.  And as soon as it even gets into the 20s then I suddenly don't have critters here gobbling desperately all day long.  I can put out less seed.  Survival takes less energy the warmer it gets, I guess.

The boys had some fun times!  With money saved from Christmas a geological kit was purchased from Target.  
Here's Ian using a hammer and chisel to slowly chip away at the rock to find little gemstones inside that big lake rock.  Even had safety glasses--nice!
Leah said they found all the gemstones.
Saturday morning they went to the West Fargo Library to this robotics event for kids.
Somehow they used this code of colors...
...to draw on paper...
...to make the tiny robot ball thingies move to do a zig zag or turn or whatever.  Nothing I understand the workings of, that's for sure.
Then in the afternoon they went to the Plains Art Museum for a Kids Quest program called Hurray!  It's clay!
Leah felt bad she forgot to take a photo of their final projects.  
They made some kind of fish bowls?  They both decided to do theirs based on the game Minecraft, Leah said.  (Gramma hasn't a clue what that entails--lol!)  Anyways, they finished them, glazed them, and they will be fired so that they can pick them up next week. 

 Such fun things to do.  So glad they were well again so they didn't miss anything this weekend.  They both woke up barfing during the night Thursday night but then were fine again by Friday night and been fine since.  Nice!!  Glad they are so resilient!  :)

So, all I have to do is get through making it to the scan on Tuesday afternoon.  That's the big goal for this week.  :) :)  My life has become quite limited in scope--lol!  Make it to the scan and get about a dozen letters set up and ready for paper chats...that would be wonderful.  Sad when those things aren't a low bar--lol!

Hoping for a good week!
For you all, too.  :)
Till next time...

15 comments:

David M. Gascoigne, said...

I have escaped Shingles fortunately, but my sister-in-law had a terrible bout of it, and she says it was about the worst thing that ever happened to her. She was in agony at times, so my heart goes out to you. I hope it is short-lived. It's not as though you don't have other things to worry about! Best wishes from Ontario.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Sorry to hear about the shingles confirmation, Rita, which you and others rather expected. Yes, I have heard how uncomfortable this outbreak can be, so thanks for the update that perhaps the blistering means an end, soon. I know what you mean about delaying things when you are nit feeling well. Currently, I have yet another cold, not feeling too bad, but lots of coughing especially during night time, just when sleep 😴 is needed and I know you well know how that goes. My plan is to stay in and try to rest up for a couple of days, plus lot of hot tea. Hope that you, Liam and Ian are feeling better. Looks like they had some fun and interesting outings.

Janie Junebug said...

I don't understand the robotics thing either and don't know anything about minecraft, so we're in the same boat there. I will send as much positive energy into the universe as I can for you to make it to the scan. Shingles sucks. I saw it a lot at the nursing home where I worked. At least you have a healthcare professional who works with you now. That's a big change.

Love,
Janie

DJan said...

I feared it was shingles, but at least you are on medication for it now. And thanks for the long update, considering how sick you have been, dear friend. I have fingers crossed for that CT scan turning out great!

Anvilcloud said...

I am very grateful that Sue spotted my early signs of Shingles and that I was able to get treatment right away. Hooray for me, but not good at all for you.

Deb J. in Utah said...

Hi Rita. I took both doses of the shingles vaccine because my sister almost died from shingles. They went up her brain stem and caused a stroke. Very uncommon, but it scared me into getting the vaccine. The shingles vaccine was the worst vaccine I ever got, as far as side effects are concerned - much worse than any Covid shot. Anyway, I did survive and hopefully won't get shingles. I hope you are feeling better soon and can make all of your upcoming appointments. I have been praying for you. See you again soon!

Juli said...

I hope you're more on the mend now. Shingles is no fun! We had -23 degree wind chills here over the weekend. I can't even imagine winters there. I also cleaned out cabinets not that long ago. Of course, mine's not to donate, I'm tucking it away for when the boys are finally out. never know who's going to need a salad spinner! :)

Jo-Anne's Ramblings said...

I had shingles last year and it was horrible at least it was caught quickly

Far Side of Fifty said...

Glad you got seen at the clinic, the anti viral should help. Shingles are so painful, I am so sorry you had to get them. Hope this week goes better for you.

Jim and Barb's Adventures said...

Geez, that sounds horrible. I hope they get things under control soon! I always love your Critter Cafe pictures

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I have a friend who had shingles. She said it was the worst pain possible. Her entire back felt like it was on fire. I can sympathize.

Critter cafe looked good. I read how cold it was your way. It was bitterly cold here, too, but not as bad as you.

The boys looked like they had a fun day taking in the different museums. Good for them.

I hope you feel better soon, dear. I know it must be very painful right now.

Divers and Sundry said...

We keep Imodium on hand just in case. My husband had shingles once back in the day. So miserable!

Cups and mugs are hard to get rid of. I have so many I love but never use simply because I have so many. You did a great job!

Fun activities are important for all ages :)

Jeanie said...

It looks cold in your world. Just lay low (you have no choice!) with the shingles and hang in there. They're terrible and everyone "gets" it. We understand.

Love the pic of the kids and critters. That's worth a smile at least! Good luck with the scan.

Serena Lewis said...

OUCH on the Shingles....my brother had shingles last year and had to isolate from his family. He's had Shingles twice in his life. Not a nice thing to get at all. You have my sympathy.

Feel better soon. xo

DVArtist said...

Ohhh my dear friend I am so sorry you are going through so much. Shingles are not fun in any way at all. You are a super woman. The kids are so cute and love that they do art. I am wishing you all the very best each and every day. Much love.