Monday, August 21, 2023

August 21, 2023 Monday--3am

Good morning!

Dagan's dresser sold on Monday.  This piece of furniture has a story.  Dagan was eight years old (1982) and we had just moved into a one-bedroom basement apartment in Anoka (due to a divorce) which was crammed full of plants--most of which I had inherited from my mom when they retired and moved to Florida.  I gave Dagan the bedroom and I slept on the Livingroom floor.  My sister was having cabinets made for her kitchen at the time.  I can't even remember how it all came about but I was hoping to find a small dresser that would fit in the bathroom...and Renee's carpenter said he could make one for me.  All he needed was the measurements--which he came by to get them himself so he could make the largest dresser that would fit (and I think to chat with Dagan, to be honest).  He even delivered it later, too.

He was the sweetest man!  He made it out of Formica scraps so that the little man wouldn't get in trouble if he splashed a bit on the dresser when he was taking a bath.  The drawers were shallow, so he put these hunks of wood inside you could turn down as bumpers so the drawers wouldn't fall out and hurt little man.  He seemed to adore Dagan and loved talking to him--he was a grandpa himself.  And Dagan, who was normally shy with strangers, chatted away with him.  He knew I didn't have much money--made it for "little man" for $50.  I still don't believe he had that many scraps.  He even asked me what color I liked. ;)  Dagan and I were so excited about it.  It was just perfect!!  He was one of those people whose kindness, loving nature, and joy in life just flows from them so brightly you are deeply warmed by it.  When you meet one in your life--even briefly--you never forget them. 

Anyways, I have always felt this dresser was made with so much love and care.  Over 40 years old now.  That's just dust on the bottom drawer.  It still looks brand new because of the Formica--lol!  And it is heavy-heavy!!  A bit of nostalgia.  Neither McFamily nor I had any place for it.  I hope whoever bought it will feel the love.  I believe it is embedded with positive energy! :)

***********************

I didn't have the best week health-wise the week before--or this past week, either.  To the point it felt like I was going backwards.  I have to confess that has gotten me down.  It takes a lot to get me down.  But my improvements seemed to plateau several months ago...and then having the terrible diarrhea rear its head the past couple weeks and my hours are completely flipped again...felt like I was going backwards and getting worse...well, that really got me down.

I think what the issue is...well, I know what it is...expectations.  Having the expectation of feeling better and better...of thinking I will get back to my normal pre-cancer chronic pain, diarrhea, and exhaustion--LOL!  But then I feel guilty for being impatient or maybe expecting too much.  It's been since mid-December of last year that I had my last treatment--after which I went through 6 weeks of the really terrible diarrhea.  I saw gradual improvement for around 3 months.  But since then...I've been about the same.  

I kept pushing through to get things done (do--collapse--do--collapse--lol!) thinking I'd gradually find it easier because I'd be getting better and better, right?  Nope.  In fact, pushing through was getting harder and harder.  Doing extra stuff--well, I was getting back to where just doing the essentials was feeling overwhelming again.  Was probably wearing myself out, I suppose.

Trying the fasting 3 days a week (which I did for three weeks) was wanting to try something else--anything else--to try to help with the inflammation from head to toe I still have.  But the fasting may possibly have even contributed to the terrible diarrhea again...no clue, really?  *sigh*  Regardless, I was going backwards.  

Expectations.  

I had honestly expected to feel better than I do by now.  I had at least expected to gradually continue to see very slow improvement.  The going backwards...that was the straw.  

The straw.

Kind of broke my heart.

So, I decided I have to change my perspective.  Being an optimist is one thing, but I have always said I'm a realistic optimist.  This might just be about it for me.  This might be my new body...my new level of health and functioning.  Of course, it's possible I may continue to very slowly improve still over time, but it might take a long, long time...if I ever do get much better than this.  I can't count on that, though.  I can't even get rid of shingles pain or a bump on the head.  And my sleep has gone haywire for months now.  This may be the new way of my life.  

It's the expectations of it being different that got me down.  

You hear you are cancer free--you don't have treatments anymore--well, you expect you will gradually get back to feeling more your old self--your pre-cancer self, you know?  

Expectations. 

Complaining about still having mucositis, headaches, diarrhea, aching all over worse than before cancer, being unable to sleep or crashing for way long...that is so ungrateful of me.  I feel guilty, you know?

Because I am grateful I have no cancer.  I am grateful to be alive.  I am grateful Dagan and Leah and the boys want me to come and live with them.  I am excited about the new apartment.  I am grateful that when I am dealing with all of these health issues that I am here by myself and am old--so I don't have to worry about a job or a family to take care of.  I am grateful Leah and Dagan help me out when I need it.  I am grateful for Allie to keep me company.  I do know how truly lucky and blessed I am.

I also know I have already had over 20 years of living with chronic pain and all the rest.  I can adjust to living with worse health than I had before.  I am living with it right now.  I am grateful to be here feeling like crap--LOL!  I really truly am.  I just have to stop thinking about and waiting to feel better.  Focus on right now.  Forget about my expectations for improvement.  Forget about my pre-cancer days.  Be kinder to myself right now.  Take it slower.  (Kind of have to--my body is the boss of me.)  What was my word for the year?  Relaxation.  

Relaxation.

Okay.  Enough said. :) 

*************************

You can see the winner in the voting was left align the paragraphs.  (Well, actually the most votes went to not caring one way or the other--LOL!)  I will do the left align, but my photos will continue to be centered, though.  I do know how to manually shift every photo over to the left, but they automatically show up centered and I am going to leave it at that.  Don't feel like manually dealing with each photo and blogger won't let me try to add them all to the left and write in-between them, even.  I tried that.  So centered photos it is. :)

I did do the Inchies Challenge until I got to #11.  Let's just say #11 was a bit TOO challenging--lol!

6. Knot

7. Touching
8. Box
9. Fern
10. River
Then #11 comes along and I am like--what?!
  "art - poem" ??  
That was so off track from the rest of them...I passed.  I might still do #12--Moon.  Who knows?  I kept getting behind a day on the ten--lol!  Oh well.  It was fun!  [Yes, I did have fun the past two weeks and chuckle at Allie and laughed and had very pleasant days.  Optimists do not give up easily. ;)]

Friday Leah picked me up (boys were with daddy) and I got my stitches out.  Really nice lady who was quite funny, too.  We were cracking each other up. :)  I had asked her if she could try to clean me up because I couldn't see up there.  I thought I could see bloody scabs, but I had washed my hair twice before I came and still couldn't get them out.  Well, turns out they weren't even attached to my scalp anymore.  They were embedded in the stitches and my hair.  

As she was cutting the stitches out, she was saying she'd try hard not to pull any hairs out because I didn't have a lot to spare--ROFL!  True--true!, I said, while she was carefully running chunks of scab down my thin hairs to release them.  I asked her, why do they have all these tall, thin, sexy Swedish women in the movies with long thick blonde hair?  In my family the Swedish women are round and short with thin straight hair and glasses!  Well, they're not even Swedes, she says.  They're actors with dyed blonde hair--LOL!

She cleaned my head up well--and I don't think she even pulled out any hairs--lol!  Was a fun time getting stitches out. :) :)

Leah came in afterwards briefly.  I asked her if she could water the patio planters for me.  (That's how bad a week I was having.)  I did admit to her how down I have been feeling the past couple weeks with my body going backwards.  Not going to do the fasting anymore.  (Well, except for my usual 24 hours or more before appointments.)  At least for now.  Just trying to focus on a different mindset and being content with what is.  So thankful she could water for me.  Just feeling worn out.  

We had extra hugs at the door. :) 

Sunday--McFamily drove down to Minneapolis for their week's vacation!  (And Dagan's heart and pacemaker checkups.)  The boys are going to have so much fun--they all are.  Leah said the boys haven't been for about four years--since before covid.  Liam doesn't remember since he was only 2.  Ian was 5 but doesn't remember a lot.  They're going to have a blast going to a bunch of places.  Then next time they have to go down for just an overnight they'll be able to ask the boys which was their favorite place to go and they can go to that one place for a treat.  Good plan!  I hope she has lots of pictures to share next week. :)

Well, that's about it.  I didn't even take many pictures.  This is how Allie and I spent a lot of the week--hanging out on my big comfy chair. 
Was a somber, contemplative week, I guess.  If I am ever down I have to dig down and figure out why.  Just me.  Sorry to dump it on you, but that's life.  Sometimes it just weighs you down.  Pain by itself can weigh you down.  It's been a long...well, last few years.  

At least I have previously lived through a lot in my lifetime and know this will pass.  I will be okay.  I'll figure it out--how to live the best way I can with whatever life hands me.  You know me.  It's not what happens to you in your life, it is how you live through it.  Truly.

I do feel guilty for even bringing it up...to you...to Leah...to anyone.  I know I sound ungrateful, but I'm not.  People can feel opposite things at the same time.  Truth is just truth.  That's how I've been feeling recently.  Grateful and yet kind of beaten down.  

I always bounce back.  Life is too short...and there are too many wondrous things about being here to dwell on the negative stuff, right?
So, till next week, my friends.  Thanks for listening.  Keep smiling!  Be grateful.  Things could always be worse, as my Swedish relatives used to say.  ROFL!  ;)

16 comments:

David M. Gascoigne, said...

That’s a great story about the dresser and it has obviously stayed with you for all these years. I hope it brings happiness to others.

Jim and Barb's Adventures said...

Sorry you are not feeling well but you have the right attitude so that has to count for something. Love the story about the dresser and I do think it is filled with positive energy!

DJan said...

I do hope you will be feeling better soon, Rita. It's distressing to go backwards when you think you should be getting better. It was hard to hear you being so down, but I do know you will rebound. Soon, I hope. Sending you lots of love and virtual hugs.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Thanks, Rita, for feeling comfortable enough with your fellow bloggers to share exactly how you are feeling now. You have been through so many ups and downs that it is understandable you can be feeling down and you certainly have every right to do so, more than so many of us. Everyone has their share of "issues" whether medical or emotional but it's how you handle them. I have never not known you to continue on despite how "lousy" you are feeling. Yes, you do bounce back and certainly are always grateful and thankful, so you are allowed a "pity party" every now and then. Go ahead and vent because your Swedish relatives were right, my friend!

That was such a touching story about the chest of drawers. I hope the story behind its creation was shared with the new owners. It's quite a history.

Far Side of Fifty said...

Great memory about the dresser. Concentrate on the things you can do and smile , smiles can improve your mood according to DJan:)

Divers and Sundry said...

What a lovely story. I believe the years of love and positive energy will bless the new owners.

Fasting actually can cause diarrhea, which is something I didn't know until an elderly friend's doctor told her she wasn't eating enough to bulk her up. He recommended eating more and adding Metamucil every day. It fixed her problem. My normal eating schedule has a name -who knew? lol: Intermittent fasting.

Things are never the same after cancer -even after successful treatment. Even to small things like hair texture and cold tolerance and energy level, at least in my family's experience... Successful cancer treatment, though, is such a huge and wonderful joy. Being kinder to yourself is good advice. It's not a bad thing to recognize and speak your pain.

Left-align paragraphs and center photos is how I've always done mine. It works for me :) I love your inchies. I kinda meant to join you but got distracted lol

Minneapolis is close to where my daughter lives. She says there's a lot to do there. I hope they have fun. I know they will :)

jinxxxygirl said...

Love the story abut the dresser Rita. I wish you could have passed that on to the new owners.. I think everything i own has a story...and once i'm gone that will be lost..it takes something away from the item i think... ''

I'm sorry you've been feeling this way... i know life can get you down.. you are not alone in that i'm sure.. i know because life can get me down.. and i have no where near the difficulties you face. But in my own little world i can get down too... 'This too Shall Pass'.. has gotten me through some difficulties in my life.. But may not work for you because what has you down is the fact that what you are dealing with may not pass... For me i have a hard time believing that there is nothing they can do to relieve your diarrhea .... that you just have to live with that... I hope you'll keep pushing the doctors for an answer to that Rita... Because even if your still tired and still in pain etc... to not have to deal with the diarrhea would be a Godsend. Big hugs and much love, deb

Jo-Anne's Ramblings said...

Nice looking dresser or as I would say chest of drawers, I agree it was made with love and positive energy.

It's not nice when we feel like our health seems to be going backwards when we expect things to be going forward, learning to live with how things are can be hard but we can feel better when we do.

Yes life is too short to be miserable.

As always nice photos

Jon said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Deb J. in Utah said...

Hi Rita. So sorry that you aren't feeling well this week. Never apologize or feel guilty for feeling down. We all get down, and you have been through so much. I love the little dresser. So glad it found a good home. Sending you many positive thoughts and prayers for better days ahead.

Juli said...

If you can't unload it here, then I'm doing it wrong. (((HUGS)))

Janie Junebug said...

I love you, Rita Pita Pan. Please don't feel guilty for having feelings. It's only natural that you want to feel better. If you had more opportunities to spend time with someone like the lady who took out your stitches I think it would lift your spirits a bit. I know McFamily is good to you, but I know you can't go out much so you're isolated. I hadn't thought about expectations getting you down; it makes sense. I think that's a problem for me, too. When the return to office announcement was made Bryan told me to have my doctor fill out paperwork for my accommodation again and that was all I needed to do. Fast forward and here I am without Bryan and still in a battle. I had expectations. Never occurred to me my ADA would be turned down. I wish I lived close to you so we could spend physical time together. I understand about the photos. You have to change them one photo at a time. That's a great story about the dresser. It would make a good little story for a magazine. Amazing how people can touch our lives that way. So many people loved David when he was little and raved about his red hair. When we visited Boston once, waiters in restaurants always wanted to bring him a free dessert because they were so taken with his hair since they see red hair and think Irish. When Katrina was in England everyone thought she was Irish even when an American accent came out of her mouth. Expectations about her have gotten me down too. I'm glad McFamily had a good time, but it was a long week for you. If you want to try art - poem, I think I can help you come up with ideas, such as poems about a work of art or a poem as a work of art. I also know what you mean about Swedes being short and round. It was and is true in my family for my mom and now for me. I guess it's true for Norwegians, too. Katrina said, though, when she went to Amsterdam that everyone was tall, blonde, and gorgeous! I have a Randy Rainbow video at my blog that you'll probably enjoy if you haven't already seen it. I'm off to the dentist to have my teeth cleaned.

Love,
Janie

Linda said...

What an amazing history on that special dresser!

SO sorry you are struggling with your health and I know how discouraging that can be.
I watched my daughter Summer struggle for 6 years and my Amber struggle with the quad pregnancy and still struggling with the aftermath of that. She will be needing knee replacements soon and she is just 39.

I will be praying for you, Rita.....every day. You have such a wonderful attitude!

Kathleen-theWordsmith2 said...

Dear Rita...I have found you again..YAY! This time it's on your blog instead of mine, where we eventually lost touch. When I visited there this morning, I clicked on your little picture, which brought me straight to you. Let's see if we might reestablish our friendship, shall we? It would be nice for us two old gals to 'be there' for each other! I hope you will feel yourself very soon. Meanwhile, I'll be praying for you...and sending 'gentle hugs' !

Rita said...

Kathleen--I think I remember you but it was from such a long time ago. Is it over ten years...or more? You aren't blogging anymore. Can you email me at soulcomfort(at) gmail.com? I can't write back to you privately like I used to be able to for so very many years when people commented. Blogger has put a stop to that somehow. :(

Rajani Rehana said...

Great blog