Monday, July 01, 2024

July 1, 2024 Monday--5am

Good morning!

Monday I went over to watch the boys.  I was really sore for some reason so I only stayed a couple of hours.  Ian had made the first recipe from the Sugar Free Kids recipe book I gave Ian for his birthday (also got walkie talkies).  Leah had put that on his Amazon list because Ian has been interested in cooking and baking lately.  He made Monkey Bread--and it was delicious!!  We played this board game called Castle Panic.  Had a good time.

Tuesday Keanna came to clean.  I cancelled my poke 'n peek appointment with Dr. Noah on Friday.  Talked it over with Leah.  I don't think it is really all that necessary.  I already had the urine test to look for cancer cells and that was clear.  I decided that I will talk to my oncologist, Dr. Failing, about it end of the year when I go for my six-month checkup.  If he can convince me it is imperative, I definitely want to go less often (maybe every two years) and I think I want to see if I can get a different urologist.  (Don't shoot me, but I also refuse mammograms.)

Wednesday.  Doing my own version of the ICADs...well, I wanted to use my time to improve my drawing skills.  I really do enjoy having pictures or photos to go by so I can try to copy them...especially when I am SO out of practice.  Trying to get the perspective right is difficult for me.  And I wanted to attempt to learn how to draw animals.  I've rarely tried to and never try humans--lol!  I wanted a big stack of color pictures to go by so I can spend time in the studio listening to audio books all summer.

Anyways, I spent the entire day searching online for photos and drawings of various items that interested me off of the prompt lists I had printed off the week before.  Double checked the first couple I printed...had lots of ink in the printer...and spent the day having fun and getting excited just thinking about the next few months before I move.

BUT...when I was done and went to take the huge stack out of the printer tray...what?  That bumble bee is supposed to be black and yellow!

I check the printer ink.

Supposedly plenty of inks!  BUT only the first four I printed had color!  All the rest are blue!!!

AND...even though they all looked perfect in the previews before I printed them...a random 1/4 to 1/3 of them where gigantic and cut off at the sides of the page!  AWK!
I can't even describe how totally deflating that was for me.  

I had to just walk away for a while. 

I can bring in my laptop and try to relocate the pictures when it comes to coloring them...and in many cases just for help drawing the missing parts...but that makes it all more of a chore.  Oh well.  It is what I am stuck with.  I am not going to start over.  I was so upset I haven't even done anything but run the cycle to clean the printer heads...which didn't appear to do anything. *sigh*  I'll have to deal with the printer later.  I can print in black and white, anyways.

We had a thunderstorm during the night that ripped my petunias apart.  (They have recovered and are perky again now.)













Thursday.  I was already down in the dumps over the blue cut-off pictures.  Shouldn't have watched the debate--lol!

Friday.  Shall we say boob-tube escapism.  Watching more Star Trek Discovery--all day.  I've never seen all the various spin-off shows.  At least it was a day cool enough to open the patio door.

Saturday.  Another open-door day.
I decided to at least attempt some of the simpler drawings.  Taped down the cards onto both sides of two of my art cutting boards.  Tried to draw them.  Perspectives are off, but I made my attempt at...a fork...
spoon...
kids' safety scissors...
and a set of paint brushes.
I haven't tried to color them yet.  Searching for them online again sounded exhausting.  But...oh! oh!  I just now remembered that I think I downloaded most of them in order to make a print...so they went somewhere into my computer.  I just need to find them--lol!  (Told you I am not computer savvy--lol!)

I know--these ICADs are not actually done.  But I figured I could show you whatever I did manage to do.  Posting on my blog keeps me somewhat accountable, anyways.  Finished or in-progress or never to be returned to...I will show you what I have been up to.  I have to keep reminding myself that it is all just play and practice.  And it did get to be fun as I worked away on these. :)

Saturday night.  Was chewing dinner when I felt something shift on the left side of my jaw.  PAIN!!  Awful sharp shooting pain!  I couldn't chew.  It hurt to even swallow.  I think I dislocated my jawbone!  Couldn't really close my mouth all the way.

So I spent the night massaging it and moving it slowly around and up and down over several hours.  It was gradually improving so that by the middle of the night I could move it more without jolting pain.  

Sunday.  Managed to sleep three hours.  (So glad I have neck pillows!)  Kept working my sore jaw again after I got up.  It was less painful than it had been and by late morning it was pretty much back to normal.  I could even gingerly chew again.  Whoohoo!  

Man!  That was something else!  I know I was told like 20 years ago that I had arthritis all over and even my jaw was bone on bone...but I never had it go crazy on me before just chewing.  Whew!  But I'm okay again.  It's still a bit raw feeling, but the shooting pains are gone.

So, what a week.  Started out quite nicely, but kind of took a turn on Wednesday--lol!  Well, I am on the end of season four (out of five) of Discovery because I had a lot of escape time last week--lol!  There's that, anyways. 

Sunday was a door open day again.  The pansies survived the wild windy thunderstorm. 


Allie kept me company all week. ;)


I can chew again...and try to find the downloads of the colored and complete pictures inside my laptop.  Wouldn't that be nice?!  I bet I can find them.  That would be awesome!

I got some paints and palettes in June and will be getting a few more in July.  When I get them all put together and set up I will show them to you.  A couple of them are kind of the medium-priced paints and the rest are really inexpensive.  This reminds me so much of the early 2000s when I made all of my tiny palettes!  But this time I can get real empty metal palettes on Amazon...and even some pretty ones--whoohoo!  Can hardly wait to show you. :)

Did I tell you that I am getting things now because I plan to do a kind of self-imposed no-buy after I move?  A no-buy for art, craft, card, and writing materials...all of them.  Only replacing things I use up that are needed...not wanted.   You know...the more boring stuff--or less exciting, I should say.  I can get excited over tape and glue and envelopes--lol!  ;)  

Anyways, that is why I have been getting paints I have been looking at for a few years.  Ever since I was in Wanderlust when I couldn't actually DO anything--lol!  Did not join WL this year, BTW.  Wanderlust kept that part of me alive these past few years--in a good way.  But now I've gotten to the point where I want to be doing and not just watching, you know?  Plus, I'll have some student grade watercolors I can readily share with the boys!  If they show any real interest and are careful with the supplies, they could use any of my paints.  I'd love to have us playing with watercolors in my studio one day.

I'm rambling.  But I usually am, aren't I?  LOL!  Well, I shall see you next week, my friends.  Stay well and cool or warm, as the case may be.  Follow your heart.  Things always work out in the long run.  Thinking positive! *hugs*

P.S.  
Blogger was in a real mood today.  Did allow me to use a colored font but not decide on font size or spacing of paragraphs.  Noticed I suddenly had centered photos again and I am not sure how long it has been doing that.  It did not want to go back to the left border and kept popping them in centered--every time.  Even automatically centered some of my writing and not just the photos.  So I have no idea what this will actually look like when I post it--LOL!
  
Blogger.
  
You get what you pay for, eh? LOL! ;) 

13 comments:

David M. Gascoigne, said...

I’m sure it was frustrating when the printer refused to cooperate!

Deb J. in Utah said...

Hi Rita. Sounds like you had a pretty good week, except for the jaw pain. Don't blame you for cancelling Dr. Poke and Peek. Doesn't sound fun at all. I just told Charly this morning that with the purchase of our 2nd home in Southern Utah, we need to stop buying stuff - except absolute essentials! We will see how long our "buying moratorium" lasts. We have a lot of stuff and I need to start clearing it out! I hope you have an excellent week. See you again soon!

Divers and Sundry said...

Technology can be so frustrating! We still have no rain. I'm glad your flowers recovered so quickly. You have to figure out what kind of medical care and testing you're up for. Each person needs to take responsibility for these decisions. The jaw issue sounds painful, and I'm glad it's improved. I've never tried to use colored fonts for anything except a few words...

Far Side of Fifty said...

After you get to be 73 or 74 they don't do mammos unless there is a problem. So you are almost home free on that one! Happy 4th of July later this week!

Jon said...

I always have problems with printers and ink. Despite all the frustration, your drawings are lovely. I'm glad your jaw is returning to normal. Ouch!
You said something that really resonates with me - - buy what you need, not what you want. Good advice!

Jo-Anne's Ramblings said...

I am having a morning where itis hard for me to focus and concentrate but I did my best and liked the photos of the boys, printer problems are so annoying

Rita said...

FarSide--I didn't know that! Hurray, I am 73!

Janie Junebug said...

From what I can see of your drawings, they're so good! I never seem to have good luck with printers. They are fussy things that love to frustrate and annoy us. I hope the jaw pain stays away. You're keeping busy, and it's nice you could spend time with the boys.

Love,
Janie

Anupama K. Mazumder said...

Isn't it lovely when kids start cooking? Also, your sketching skills are really good.. You should nurture it!
https://www.volatilespirits.com/

Jeanie said...

I love it that you are stocking up on paint now! It sounds like quite a week and I'm especially worried about your jaw but glad things feel a bit more back to normal. I hear you on the printer. Mine is more or less out of commission. I think I need a new one but don't want to buy one till after we're back from England. New camera and a few other things, first!

DJan said...

I didn't read your post because I fell behind in my news feed, but I am glad to see your smiling "face" anyway!

Jim and Barb's Adventures said...

Printer/computer problems are so frustrating! Glad you can chew again, that sounded horrible!

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Rita, that out of whack jaw had me feeling your pain just reading about it. So glad things are back to OK again. I know what you mean about going on a no-buy mode. In recent months, I bought some items that I regretted and thankfully was able to sell them on eBay, not for a profit but even at a loss, they are gone and my regrets at buying can end. So now, I am trying very hard not to buy anything unless it is a replacement item or something else goes.

Printers can be temperamental and thankfully my several years old one is chugging along. I wonder if anything else you tried to print with color worked. Blogger confueses me as well when I put photos in as centered, some look that way and others are less so and can't figure out why?

Wishing you a restful 🇺🇸 holiday my friend.