Monday, June 29, 2020

6-29-2020 Monday-2:15pm

Good afternoon!
I hadn't seen the mourning doves much this summer, but they are here once in a while.  Sometimes you can just hear them.  Lovely sound.
I forgot to say that my mom went back to her apartment the Friday before.  Or "back to prison" as she lamented to me on the phone.  She really hates being isolated, as we all know.  They may allow so visits through glass in July?  We'll hear more about it when my brother and SIL pass through Fargo this coming Friday.  They're dropping off my folks' old golf clubs for Dagan (family golf history, Dagabn said) on their way to a 90th birthday party for Kathy's uncle.  We will (yes, I am hoping to make it over) be outside and social distancing--in the backyard or the garage depending on the weather.  :)
****
 I had my video call with Leah on Tuesday night and a birthday video call with McFamily for Ian's actual birthday on Wednesday...complete with singing and blowing out candles.
****
I decided to get out ink and dip pens to write a letter...just for a change. 
Ended up mostly using my old favorite feather pen. 
Filled my tiny vials in the wooden holder (bought so long ago I don't remember what it was called) with shimmer inks (that tend to clog up my fountain pens). 
I love this brass holder on the feather.  I use a brause 05 calligraphy nib with a reservoir on the top of it so that I can write for quite a while before I need to re-dip. 
I scribbled the names of the inks on a post-it note so I'd remember which inks were which. 
I also worked on Ian's book.  You may remember me filling the handmade paper cover with new paper...
...well, I wrote in the story: Magic Wings and Super Powers. 
I had taken notes from the dream Ian told me about in great detail when we were on a video call a while back. 







I am not good at drawing people, earthquakes, etc...so I made up for it with using metallic markers here and there...mostly in his current favorite color--gold!  I told him it was an imagination book without pictures.  I think he liked it.
****
I remembered to take pictures of the patio this weekend.
The baby marigolds in the round pots are starting to take off finally.  I lost a few of them, but there are plenty that survived. 
All the plants seem to be doing well. 
****
The big excitement for my week was yesterday!!  On Sunday I got to become a member of a bubble or covid pod with McFamily.  Never know for how long--so I was there for like 10 hours!  :)
****
I had sent Ian's presents in the mail to their house so Leah had wrapped them for me.
Liam was watching the proceedings. 
Leah took pictures and a video. 
So you can see he got an "I Love You, Grandma" book (we read later) and some grownup art supplies. 

And afterwards he painted in his new watercolor journal art book.
Was an absolutely wonderful day!!  At Leah's suggestion, I even brought with some ingredients and Leah made me some foods to take home, too!  Dagan, Leah, and I sat around and discussed the state of the country into the night.  I think I got home about 11:30pm?  Anyways, I am really sore and exhausted today--but feeling thoroughly contented.
****
Dagan had to go into the clinic today for his blood thinner testing AND they called him in to work to fix something--during the day--that needed fixing now.  So, exposure.  Have to see about deciding whether to go over this week or not.  The clinics are really picky here and careful, but not sure how the few people who are at the office are, you know?  He'll let me know later tonight how much he felt exposed.  He'll get his clothes washed and take a shower as soon as he gets home.  Yup--we are still that cautious.
****
Regardless--it was fantastic yesterday.  Was a fabulous day.  It will take me a couple days to recover, I think--LOL!  But one happy lady here in Fargo.  Till next time...too shot to look up a quote...bye bye for now.  :)


14 comments:

Rita said...

My comment to get your comments. :)

Janie Junebug said...

I had just wondered, Where's Rita today? It's a good thing I checked my reading list again. I love, love, love the book for Ian. You're so talented and such a good gramma. Letter on the way.

Love,
Janie

Bonnie said...

I love the book you made Ian and I'm sure he was thrilled with it! How wonderful that you can now get together with the family. It means so much to be able to spend some time with our loved ones. Enjoy your week and rest up from all that fun with the family!

Far Side of Fifty said...

Yeah for a good visit! Your book is wonderful! I think it is just perfect! :)

Joy@aVintageGreen said...

Just a wonderful wonderful day for McFamily Bubble Rita. Wonderful photos too. Brought me to tears I was sooo moved. Keeping safe is so important - Dagan is making sure his family is safe and taking no chances - following the steps to not bring anything home at all.
Hugs and keep on keeping safe.
Joy

Anvilcloud said...

Isn't it great to get back together?
And that book -- what a treasure! I think it will be around for a very long time.

DJan said...

I also love the book and read the whole thing. What a wonderful gift for anyone. I'm so glad you got to be part of the covid pod. That would wear anyone out, Rita, so I'm glad you're letting yourself recover. I missed seeing Annie. :-)

Jon said...

I love mourning doves - they are among my favorite feathered friends. Their plaintive call is so soothing. I saw lots of them in California and Texas, but for some reason they're scarce here in TN.
I like that feather pen - it's really unusual.
And it's great that you had a visit with McFamily! That was a gift in itself.

Jo-Anne's Ramblings said...

The book for Ian is awesome
My days of writing anything by hand are pretty much over as I shake too much

Lady Fi said...

I love your book for Ian.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

What a great birthday for Ian with such creative gifts too. The video was fun to see how much you were enjoying this at last family get together, Rita. Glad everything worked out so well and do hooe you can safely visit again soon.

Divers and Sundry said...

Mourning doves do have a sweet sound :) We have them by their severals here in Memphis. I'm glad your mom has a safe place to be but am sorry she feels/is so isolated :( What a pretty feather pen. I never had any luck with dip pens. Your patio plants frame to space so well. Such a pretty space :) Your family face-to-face time sounds like a real treat. Happy 4th (late)!

pearshapedcrafting said...

What a fabulous book you made for Ian! It was great to see you enjoying some family time - I hope you can keep going! Your plants are looking good! That pen looks fabulous - I keep meaning to ask hubby if I can have a go with his dip pen (he doesn't use it much himself!) Off to catch up with the latest post now and I will try and be 'on the ball' on Monday!! Chrisxxx

Harvest Moon by Hand said...

Your feather pen is awesome! What a distinctive pen to write with. Loved your book for Ian. He'll definitely treasure that now and when he is older.