Monday, January 15, 2024

January 15, 2024 Monday--5am

 Good Morning!

This picture I just took shows you how many spoons I had this past week--lol!  Exactly as it was a week ago--lol!

I guess I don't bounce back very quickly.  But never fear...I haven't been sick-sick.  Just draggy and tired.  I'm back on night hours for sleeping and awake days though now...so...that's progress.  I managed to keep up with laundry and dishes and meals and such...just no extra spoons.  I apologize to those I owe Thank Yous from Christmas.  They will be coming first.  Cards and letters will be coming, too.

My other two small knives arrived--with their red handles!  (Already nicked myself--not used to sharp knives--lol!)    
I don't think I ever showed you my new GOOD humidifier.  Not spraying white stuff all over the apartment!  Hurray!  Easier to breathe, too. :)  
I never did show you my new coasters I bought myself for Christmas, either.  Always have two of them nearby for my coffee and water Yetis.
Here's the other two ceramic coasters on the far end table by the patio door where the boys sit when they come over.  Did you guess when you saw all the colors?  I've had these in my Amazon "save for later" cart for over a year--lol!  I do love her crazy cats.
It's been one cold week.  
We had a blizzard Friday night.  More wind than snow...but it plastered splatters of snow all over the patio door from top to bottom.  
Allie loved it!  Perfect for a bird spy.

A couple of hours later some of the snow was disappearing.  Not from warmth of any kind (it was -14F with -32F wind chill)...from the force of the wind gusts.
Allie spent most of her afternoon naptime watching the freezing, hungry birds at close range.  
When it is awful weather like this I am putting out some seed 3 or 4 times a day.  I don't put out too much at a time because it gets buried quickly by the wind blowing the snow around.  They can dig for it--and they do--but I like to make it as easy on them as I can since they look so cold and hungry.

Sunday the morning sun made the last of the snow fall from the patio door, the wind had died down enough, and the critters had packed down the snow enough that I could put a good amount of seed out for them.
You can see that rabbits come during the night if you enlarge and look at the footprints.  There's nothing left come morning.
We've had wind chill warnings for a couple of days.  Not going to let up any time soon, I guess.  They're not predicting double digits above zero all week long.  Saturday our high was -6F.  Today our high is supposed to be -3F.  Windchills are terrible....could be as low as -55F.  Supposed to be colder in most of the US.  Wherever you are...whether you are dealing with cold or heat...may you be comfortable and safe.  Till next week, my friends.  :)

17 comments:

David M. Gascoigne, said...

I am quite sure that in the scope of one post, Rita, you buy more than I do in a whole year!

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Brrr that is some really cold weather, Rita, and good for you in keeping the food supply handy at the Critter Cafe. The snow here has just about gone (sigh) but it was lovely when newly fallen. New knives are always a possible danger until you get used the the fact that they actually cut compared to old ones. Every time, Patrick sharpens ours, I need to take care. Those coasters are very striking, my friend.

Anvilcloud said...

We are in the coldest and most wintery part of the year. May you and Allie enjoy the critters.

Jim and Barb's Adventures said...

Those critters really rely on you during these cold snaps, I am sure it is much appreciated! Good thing Allie is there to keep an eye on them and make sure no one takes more than their fair share of seed!

Deb J. in Utah said...

Hi Rita! We have had a cold and snowy week too, but you are much colder than we are. You sure take good care of those critters outside your window. I love your new coasters. You are like me and enjoy a lot of color in your world! Sorry to hear you are still tired and "dragging". I think part of that is the cold winter temperatures. It's always good to see what you are up to. Have a good week.

Far Side of Fifty said...

Stay safe and warm! Hope the cold spell is gone by the weekend as predicted!

pearshapedcrafting said...

Sleeping at night is a bonus for sure! At least you have just enough spoons - its; Winter...don't go looking for too many extras!! Those coasters are fabulous! The Bird Spy must be very happy. I know I wouldn't like temperatures that low, take care, Hugs, Chrisx
ps Face Timing SIL soon but will be back to catch up later! xx

Jo-Anne's Ramblings said...

Great photos, great post, sleeping at night is all the rage everyone is doing it, although feeling like one is dragging their body through a day sucks.

Bonnie said...

I love your Laurel Burch coasters! I've always been a big fan of her art. I have a cup, some earrings and a couple of purses of hers. I keep saying I'm going to get some of her fabric and make something but I haven't yet.

It is so cute the way Allie hides to spy on the birds! I bet that is the highlight of her day!

Stay warm Rita!

Jeanie said...

I think it's completely possible your weather is colder than ours. We didn't get as much snow as predicted -- only five or six inches -- but the cold is bitter. Looks cozy inside, though, and Allie is certainly loving it. After I saw those coasters, I ordered a set for a birthday gift. They're wonderful!

Divers and Sundry said...

I like the red handled knives. What pretty coasters! Our snow didn't come with much wind. But we did have record-breaking cold. Nothing like yours, off course lol

Barwitzki said...

Beautiful coasters.
I also feed the birds before my first coffee :-) and they are always waiting.
It's wonderful to watch them.
Happy snow star greetings to you.

jinxxxygirl said...

I've been offline for a little while , kids visiting... it will be a few weeks before things get back to normal.. I cannot complain about my temps when i see your temps! Hugs! deb

DJan said...

As soon as we got out of the deep freeze, it began to snow, starting last night and still going strong. I think we are approaching a foot of the white stuff! Love those coasters, and boy your cold is the fiercest I ever heard of! :-)

Anupama K. Mazumder said...

Congratulations for your new purchases! Shopping always feels good!
I love your house and your coverage of snowy days!

https://www.volatilespirits.com/

Tomichan Matheikal said...

That's quite a lot to endure!

Victoria Zigler said...

Sorry you're tired and dragging. I know the feeling. Glad you got snow. We got a dusting, but it didn't stick around long and there wasn't much to it to start with.