Monday, January 22, 2024

January 22, 2023 Monday--5am

 Good morning!

Been another week below freezing.  The past couple of days the wind has been pounding even louder against the building.  I am glad the partridges feel comfortable enough to settle in to stay once in a while.  They sit up on the planters or sometimes hide in the bushes next to my patio.  Not so far to go for their next meal.  ;)

Not enough snow to burrow down into to protect themselves against the wind, so they do look fluffed up twice their size to keep warm.  Really do enjoy seeing them every day.

Just in case you're interested, I still am changing my shower curtains about every two weeks.  Still is such fun for me.
Miss Allie still sleeps away the afternoons on her favorite cat bed up on the table in the bedroom.  Been good cuddle up and snooze weather, that's for sure.
This past week I have slowly gotten all the cards and letters owed all set up...
...with all sorts of clips to hold each one together.
They are finally ready to go.  
Yes, I know how slow I have been.  After pushing myself for the past year to do all that P&P...well, since I finally basically finished...been in collapse mode.  And it is marvelous!  Has hindered my card and letter writing, though.  Sorry.  Plus it is freezing out and that the cold air runs along the floor...so that you want to just hibernate under a blanket with your feet up and get lost in a good story on the screen--lol! 

Despite that, I have given myself an arbitrary rule that I have to do my journaling up at the table.  Unless I am sick-sick or having such a horrible day I can't manage it at all, of course.  So, I have actually been up at the table every day since Tuesday, I think.  Progress in those small baby steps.  :)  

I've been randomly doing pages in the 365 Days of Art book, too.  I knew I'd never do a page a day and that I planned to just have fun with it whenever I could manage...so it is nice to be playing in there, too.

There is big news on the apartment build.  Was dangerously cold to get together for a confab at Dagan and Leah's so we had a video call with the three of us and discussed the new issues.  Long story short--it was decided that we would have the rest of the apartment finished by contractors.  The electric people are probably going to be here the end of the month, they said.  We'll need to hire a HVAC/Plumber company to finish those.  Leah had already talked to someone about doing the sheetrock/drywall.  The cabinet company will be ready to go when the walls are done and they will also put in the carpeting down the stairs to the basement after they are finished installing the cabinets.  Oh, and the drywall people will paint everything with the light tan/cream color.  Dagan and Leah will paint the accent walls. 

So--it may still take a long time--as it can with contractors--but it will be done by licensed professionals, so we don't have to worry about getting in trouble with the City or County and (since they both work with him) Trent won't be in any trouble, either.  (Not that he seemed bothered by it all, Leah said.)  Anyways, that is the new plan.

My plan to not give my two month notice until it is finished remains the same.  There's a ton of IKEA furniture to put together and I still have a lift chair to buy and we have things to sell...things like that.  So, I'll let you know what is happening as I find out.  Meanwhile--I am worn out and happy to be done with the P&P on my end (except for little things that don't even need to be done before I move).  

This past week all of McFamily was sick with a sore throat-runny nose thing.  This time Dagan had it first.  But they were all doing fine by the weekend.  

Myself--besides setting up the 29 cards & letters--laundry, dishes, crock pot stew, baking...general puttering...watching videos, good shows and some movies.  A quiet, wonderful week...  
...with all the visitors to the frozen Critter Cafe.
You know I will miss them when I am gone.  The limper is still with the group but the hopper...haven't seen it.  :(
This weekend McFamily went to Sky Zone in Fargo.  They brought with the next-door neighbor boy, Nash (who spends a lot of time at their house--he's the one with the trampoline in his back yard).  Leah said there were a lot of other kids there, too, from the neighborhood.
There are four really short videos to show you (and Gramma) what there is to do at a trampoline place--lol!  

This does not look easy!  Trying to jump up from the trampoline onto a ledge--no thanks.  Not too many kids could do it.  Here's Ian taking his turn to try.
This is Liam jumping from trampoline to trampoline across this whole room.
Liam was pretty nervous about jumping from the platform on to that squishy mess below.  It took him a long time but this is the video where he finally took the leap.
Ian doing a twirl jump off the platform.  
Goodness!  It's no wonder they need employee spotters all over the place there--lol!  What a fun place, though.  The boys enjoy going there--like they do the rock-climbing-wall place.

Oh, and this was something called the hurricane.  A few of the boys stood inside and I guess they get swirled or blown with air.
Nash, Ian, and Liam--all were thirsty boys when they got back to the house--lol!

My "Rita" snowflake arrived for next year!  So, I will have a tree ornament and Allie and I will have stockings next year.  
We are supposed to finally get above freezing by Wednesday.  It will feel like spring--lol!

To all of you waiting to get snailmail--may take longer than usual (already has) but I like to take my time with each paper chat, as you know, and I am just not moving fast.  Moving again, but not fast--lol!  For once I am not slow because I am feeling totally miserable (well, I was sick-sick for over a week there), but because I mostly feel like a hibernating bear who just wants to curl up and stay put where it is warm and safe--lol!  The cold may be making me more achy, not sure, but I am pretty much back to my usual 3-4 on the pain scale most of the time so I can handle that.  Thankful for furnaces, cats, the internet, coffee, snailmail, and all you wonderful people!!  Life is good!  See you next week!!  :)

17 comments:

David M. Gascoigne, said...

I am quite envious of those daily visits from the partridges. Such a privilege!

Anvilcloud said...

I was wondering about the move. Now I know a bit more.

DJan said...

I don't think anybody is worried that you will forget them, Rita. You are very conscientious in your correspondence. Thanks for the update about the apartment. It will come to fruition sometime. Sending you lots of virtual hugs. And a pet to Allie.

Divers and Sundry said...

Your changing shower curtains seem like a fun way to make "variety is the spice of life" part of life. Fun is where we find it :) Our cold is nothing like your cold. We're looking forward to highs in the 60s by the end of the week.

jinxxxygirl said...

Well you know snail mail is not a hurry for me.. I'm slow myself... Then i like to take my time when i'am writing it... so no worries.. Good to hear some info on the apartment front.. it will happen when its suppose to happen.. hang in there.....Hugs from a cold but warming up and wet TX.. deb

Far Side of Fifty said...

Fun videos of the boys jumping! Good news on your apartment, hope the work goes faster than you think! :)

Jo-Anne's Ramblings said...

I think it is great you are able to change your shower curtain as often as you do that, sickness has been making the rounds of my family having bypassed me. Great photos of your family having fun. I just had to get up and feed the local birds

Jeanie said...

It sounds like a very smart idea to have the contractors finish up the work, especially when permits and inspections by the city and all are involved. I hope it doesn't take too much longer -- you might be surprised and it is faster than you think.

Loving those birds!

Bonnie said...

I love that colorful shower curtain, it looks happy! The boys sure had fun at that place. When I see all the new places they have for kids now it makes me wish I was a kid again. Enjoy those wonderful visitors to the Critter Cafe!

DVArtist said...

You are always busy no matter how long it takes. I do love your shower curtains. Great videos too. I'm a little slow today, so wishing you a wonderful day.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I think it's smart to hire contractors now both are working. I agree that you don't want top get ahead of yourself on the move.

Loved seeing the boys on the trampolines. Looks like they had fun.

Hope you are staying warm. We were in negative numbers most of last week. Set several records, too.

Deb J. in Utah said...

Hi Rita. Wow, you sure have a lot of pen pals. I finally got a letter off to you last week. Sounds like you had an overall good week. Looks like your grandsons sure had fun at the trampoline place. Have contractors finish your apartment is the best way to go - especially since permits and inspections are involved. Better safe than sorry. I love this week's shower curtain - so colorful! I hope you have a good week. I am behind on blog reading, but I will see you again soon!

Haddock said...

trampoline is tricky, if you don't do it properly.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Good to read about the apt update, Rita, and as others have commented it may be a bit more time-consuming and costly, but better to have professionals complete the project. This way no one will need to be concerned whether the correct permits/inspections have been done. Your letter writing is certainly organized and there's no worries on my end as I usually fall behind myself and I have far fewer to send. But volunteering with Letters Against Isolation now will take up a bit of time. It's harder writing to someone unknown at least when first starting. The beauty is that every card goes to someone different. I like seeing the colorful shower curtain. As you said it, life is very good!

Janie Junebug said...

When Ian is a little older and taller, he'll make it to the ledge. Jumping around in there looks like fun. I'm relieved that your apartment will be finished professionally. I know it will still take time, but at least you'll know it's moving forward as each entity becomes available.

Love,
Janie

Rajani Rehana said...

Great blog

pearshapedcrafting said...

I love seeing your partridges in the snow! You will miss them for sure. I still miss seeing the little bird that used to visit the feeders at our caravan garden - in fact it's one of the main things I do miss.We get our fill now when we see bird feeders at some of the gardens we visit! Your shower curtain looks great. I don't need to do it now but in our old draughty house I used to sit at my computer with my feet in a cardboard box in the Winter. Sounds weird but it worked to stop the cold round my ankles. What a great idea to get contractors in at this stage - hopefully it will soon be done too! The Trampoline place looks great - not sure about the hurricane though! I know I am really late so hope to keep up from now on! Hugs, Chris