Monday, August 05, 2024

August 5, 2024 Monday--5am

Good morning!

Well, it's a better morning than it was a few days ago.  I'll explain at the end of the blog, but let's just say...even born optimists can have really, really bad days. 

But first...here is what I kept myself busy with this week.  Not ICADs.  The idea of struggling to draw (which is outside of my comfort or talent zone, even if I want to get better at it) just felt overwhelming to me.  I decided to go back to the safety of my creative comfort zone.  Since it is already August, if I wanted to finish a set of Christmas cards and a set of birthday cards before I move (and hopefully more than one set so I can get ahead of the game again)...well, I had best get moving.  So, I picked out a set of clear stamps I thought were pretty cheerful (needed some happy cards).  Yup!  This would do.

Set myself up at the kitchen table and stamped away with my Misti.
Got all 55 cards stamped outside...
...and inside.
I know.  I'm doing very simple cards I can just stamp and then sit and color.  Works for me right now.  I always have made pretty plain cards.

Joyce F. asked what clear stamps or cling stamps were.  Said she only knew of the rubber stamps on wooden blocks...like these.
Well, I think they first came out with "cling" stamps.  They are rubber stamps--just not on wooden blocks.  They have this kind of sticky but not sticky backing...
...that will make the rubber stamp "cling" to an acrylic block.  Which, as you can see, come in all sizes.
The cling stamps peel right off and you can use them over and over again.  These new flat cling stamps that were not affixed to wooden blocks took up so much less room that they became popular very quickly.

Then they came out with "clear" stamps.  (These are also "cling" stamps to me because they are also used with acrylic blocks.)  The clear stamps are of a wider variety of actual clear plastics...some are better than others.  I've had some very cheap ones that turned kind of gummy.  But most of them work really well.
Many of them will stain depending on the plastic (or whatever rubbery clear stuff they are made of) and/or the ink pad brand you use.  You can see which ones of the set above I used for the set of birthday cards I made for this year.  The staining doesn't affect the performance of the stamps, though.

The most useful invention for me was the Misti.  (On the table in the first photo.)  You can put a clear stamp or a cling stamp right on the Misti so that you can mass produce your stamping.  Lifesaver for me.  I'm wearing out the hinges on my Misti!  If anyone is interested I can show you how a Misti works.  Let me know.

Anyways, it was a hot week until Sunday.  In the 90s and upper 80s and sticky humid.  We are supposed to get a good break in the 70s for a while now--whew! 
 I was watering the petunias outside and Allie kept an eye on the procedures.
Does anyone know what kind of cover plant is growing in my planter boxes?
They were tiny and so cute I thought I'd just leave them there.  The one in front has taken over most of the planter now and spread to the side one--lol!  I didn't plant anything in them this year so I think these are pretty cool!  Kind of like low bushes.  :)  The hot weather hasn't seemed to bother them one bit.  I haven't watered them or anything.  But the poor petunias seem spindly from the heat and the wind...but they're hanging in there. :)
Anyways, back to Christmas cards.  I got out my Prisma colored pencils...
...set myself up in the kitchen watching YouTube videos...
...experimented with colors...
...and made a final decision.

I would switch from the table to my chair to color...as my body dictated--lol!  I even colored in my chair on my really bad day.  Allie looks like she was a little worried about me.  (I rarely ever, ever cry.)
I color assembly-line fashion.  Pick a color and then do that color on 55 cards...and repeat.
I just finished them on Sunday!
Well, I may still add a little something or other yet.  Not sure.  But basically the coloring is done!

Now...
What was this really bad day about?  Not my health.  Nothing happened.  Nothing has changed.  That was a big part of the problem.  August 2nd was an anniversary day.  Two years ago I brought Allie home (with reassurances that Dagan and Leah would take her if I died).  And that night Dagan, Leah, and I had a video call and made the final decision that they were going to build me an apartment and I was going to move over there.  Two years ago.  Two years.  Two long years.

Friday I just had a meltdown. 

This panicky feeling comes over me whenever nothing happens on the build for a long period of time--be it weeks or months.  I've had to fight it over and over.  

You guys must be sick of hearing about this eventual move, too...for two whole years.  

August 2, 2022.  Took them five months to clear out the basement so they could start the build.  (Was very full to the brim of stuff from when her mom died and she had stuff of siblings down there, etc...long process.)  They started January 2023...said it would be about 6 months--so summer.  I start doing the P&P (not easy--baby steps--felt like crap) but never expected to ever finish before I moved.

Then it was fall.  Then it was before the snow flies.  Then it was maybe spring.  Nothing was happening!  I finally pretty much had a meltdown last winter...was going to just stay here and use the IKEA furniture here.  That's when I found out about all the issues with permits and Trent not coming over, etc.  Decision was made to go with contractors.  Okay!  They started January 2024.  A couple of weeks to do the cement floor staining turned into 3 months...spring or summer move turned into fall...will I even get in this year before the snow flies?  Before Christmas?  Who knows?  Too many variables.

There's always something with the contractors, of course--and we have so many separate ones to deal with.  And I already do know Dagan and Leah are slow and usually wait till the last minute to get things done...and they are not good at remembering to keep me in the loop.  I am moving into a house full of dyslexics, after all.  Their lives have been turned upside-down this year.  Leah starting the new job.  The boys are starting public school on the 21st.  Liam has a speech therapist once a week and their dentist thinks his teeth may have something to do with it, too, now.  Ian has severe dyslexia and goes to a local place to see a coach twice a week.  They are trying to keep a normal life going so that all these changes aren't so drastic for the boys....they are all overwhelmed.  

I know all of that.  I know they love me and want me to be there.  I know Leah is exhausted.  Most of the build is on her shoulders.  She does things for me and for her grandparents and her brother who doesn't have a car.  I know the boys are nervous about changing schools and possibly riding the bus and everything being different than at Montessori.  We knew this was going to be a crazy year until I am moved and settled in--for all of us--for different reasons.  I know I will move...eventually.

I am usually pretty darn patient.  But on Friday I felt so defeated, unsettled, exhausted, frustrated...just overwhelmed with all kinds of emotions.  Honestly--all I could feel was my soul weeping...and I wanted to scream.

Why?  Why?

I am the type of person who wants to know why I feel the way I do.  What was really at the core of this meltdown?  Why did I feel defeated--like I was giving up?  By what?  On what?  

Well, I've done this kind of thing since I was a young girl--digging into what is really behind my negative feelings.  Often it is not what I might first think.  It wasn't.  Logic had nothing to do with it.  It wasn't because this is taking so long--because I am fine where I am and we have no time limit and I understand all the reasons this has gone the way it has.  Frustrating at times, yes.  Absolutely.  But my sorrow was deeper--core level.  I knew it had to be something else, too.

It came down to two main reasons.

One.  When we made the decision for me to move there and for me to get Allie--I did not know if I would actually live till the move at that point in time...or possibly not long after the move.  I was purging more for the Swedish Death Cleaning reason.  If I did die, I didn't want them to have to deal with as much stuff.  I never, ever expected to finish going through my entire apartment before I moved.  I was expecting to move in the summer...then fall...last year. 

So--in my head somewhere--the move represented that fresh start--new beginning--and beating cancer!  Life!!  The move and beating cancer became intertwined.  I am still waiting for my fresh start.

Two.  All my life I have had this OCD side I often mention.  My home has always been organized.  I have always known where things are and everything has a home--a spot where it belongs.  I may have a lot of stuff around me, but it all had its place.  I have moved so many times!  From when I left home until I moved up here to Fargo/Moorhead I lost count at 30 moves.  (I've only moved twice since I got here, though--a silver lining to becoming housebound--lol!)  But no matter where I went I carried my home with me...like a turtle.  I could organize a new home in a matter of days...and my familiar home would settle around me like a warm blanket.  My home is my safe place.  My cozy safe place filled with things I love.

This is not a home.

I had no idea what living out of tubs, off of folding tables stacked with some of my stuff, mostly empty kitchen cupboards, most of my furniture gone, and boxes piled everywhere would do to me.  Living in limbo...in constant transition...not knowing where half my stuff is or if I packed something or donated it...it is just total chaos for me.  It is hell for my OCD self.  Feels like I have had no home for such a very long time.  Like I haven't had my safe place for so long.  Like somehow the cancer isn't quite behind me...even though I know it is.

I told you, it's not logical.  It's core level emotional stuff.  It is my soul weeping.  It is my OCD self screaming.  I need my fresh start!  My new home!  Being close to the people I love!

And there is nothing I can do about it.  

Just wait.  And wait some more.

It might be easier now that I have dug down to find the real underlying reason I have been so upset sometimes--that sadness seems to come out of nowhere or the feeling so impatient I want to scream.  Maybe I am more attached to my things--my home stuff being organized around me--than I ever thought.  Honestly, I don't even think it is the actual possessions--but that I need the organization and having everything in its place.  I face the cans in my pantry, for goodness sake.  Not knowing where things are...I feel unmoored, adrift, ungrounded...lost.  

I need my home settled around me like that warm blanket.  I need to feel I have my safe place back again.  I haven't felt grounded since I began to tear this place apart and get rid of things.  I thought it was going to be just a few months.  Been a year and a half...so far.  I don't think I have ever gone even a month before when transitioning my home.  This turtle has lost her shell.  And from as far back as I can remember--my only safe place was that shell...even if it was just my room.

But at least knowing the root cause of the scary feelings, panic, and sorrow...it shouldn't be quite as bad in the coming months.  Logically...I am fine.  We don't have a deadline.  I don't blame Dagan and Leah.  I know eventually I will be moved.  

Meanwhile, I will make some cards.  They are in my comfort zone.  I will watch stuff to keep my mind off the move.  Will just wait.

Eventually I will be able to organize my home around me and settle in--ahhh!  Right now--just thinking about that makes me want to cry...because emotionally I don't have my home around me now.  But one day I will again.

See!  I am not some sort of Pollyanna.  Even though I can always find the silver linings and can usually find something to laugh about even in times of crisis and I am usually happy and optimistic...well, I have some very bad days, too.  We all have those old tapes we carry with us and core tender spots.  But I know once I am moved and am finally settling my home around me, I will feel so much better.  I will have my safe place again...and that makes life easier on so many levels.  

This too shall pass.

Sorry to be a downer, but I am always honest with you all.  That's just life and how things go sometimes.  I'm feeling better than I was on Friday, for sure.  Deep dives always help me.
*love and hugs from Fargo*  
Till next week...

19 comments:

David M. Gascoigne, said...

Lots going on here, much of it internalized and I am not sure that anyone can help you deal with it. Sounds like buyer’s remorse in many ways. I just hope you will all be able to get along and maintain independent lives when this move finally happens.

DJan said...

I think you have done incredibly well during this awful time, Rita. Your cards are so pretty, and I know that this time will eventually pass. But you're right: it's been a long time since it all began. Two years! I send you love and prayers every morning, and I know you will love your new place, once it actually happens. Sending you special love and virtual hugs this morning, dear friend.

Jim and Barb's Adventures said...

Those cards are very cool! So much effort goes into each one. Sorry to hear you are on a downer right now. I can see how/why you get frustrated, but hopefully they will get it done and soon you will be in your new place!

CheerfulMonk said...

Good for you for the deep dive. They may be painful, but they’re empowering. ❤️

Sandra said...

Not a downer. A person who is having emotions boil up. We are alike in that we want things in order. I understand all you wrote, well.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

First, I am in awe of your cards. I also like assembly line. No "single" cards for me, either.

Second, I couldn't live like you are having to live. I can totally understand your meltdown. I KNOW things will get better, though. Bless you, Rita (and Allie).

Divers and Sundry said...

I think simple may sometimes be best, and I like the cards. Prismacolor colored pencils are wonderful, aren't they?!

This has got to be a difficult process. It sounds so complicated to me and stressful. That it's taking so long makes it harder. I'm glad you're able to dig down and explore what's behind your emotional state, but the situation itself would be hard for any of us🫂

Janie Junebug said...

24 months is about 18 months too long. I understand it's difficult to get contractors to follow through (the back of my house isn't repaired and I don't know if it ever will be; I wish this tropical storm would slam something into the window and wall), but there was too much fooling around before that. I know Leah wanted to go back to work and she was very excited about the new job, but she had trouble getting things done before she started working outside the home. The boys will probably be nervous about changing schools, but they'll be excited, too. Children are usually pretty adaptable. I'm sure Allie understood how upset you were and wanted to help you feel better. I had a good cry recently and Princess came up to me for hugs. It's 4:30 and raining so hard that I don't think I'll go out to start a pump. We have a tornado watch. Rebekah and I laugh about tornado warnings because they always say take shelter in a basement. No one around here has a basement! Hang in there, Rita Pita Pan!

Love,
Janie

Jo-Anne's Ramblings said...

I like the first stamp it made me smile, I have a small collection of stamps both the cling type and the wooden ones. I use them to decorate envelopes for the letters I write to pen pals. I have never heard of Misti what is it.

It's been2yrs already boy time flies, I am sorry you feel like you do but as you said it will pass soon.

Far Side of Fifty said...

It will be okay, you will get moved, you will get settled in. I believe that is a very healthy water weed in your planter box:) Did you know you can rip the stamps off of the wooden blocks so you can use them in the misti...I love mine by the way couldn't do cards without it! Concentrate on what you can do!!!!

Haddock said...

After colouring it looks good.

Rajani Rehana said...

Lovely post

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

First, Rita, you are so organized in the midst of such chaos and creating your holiday cards and birthday ones too. Certainly, it is hard with all the waiting and the construction delays and other changes going on in all your lives. Two years has been a long time, and while it would be nice to be able to move by year end, that may not happen until Spring...new beginnings?

As for venting and sharing your frustrations and being down, that's what bloggers do and while no one can provide a solution, we can listen and empathize. I was glad to read that you were feeling better after the deep dive.

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Rita - lots of struggles going on - well done for coping with it - you'll continue to win through. I do hope life eases for you ... it's great seeing Allie - take care and all the best - Hilary

salemslot9 said...

I know I don’t know anything
I’m guessing the parties involved
don’t read this
or it would be much simpler
If that’s the case
A heart to heart conversation
is needed
I know that’s not easy
Otherwise I’d unpack
Good luck

Rita said...

salemslot9, I told them to make sure and read the blog. We do have heart to hearts. I totally understand logically how this has all taken so long and it isn't their fault. I was just talking about my own issues with dealing with the wait. I look forward to the move. BTW--I can't unpack because I don't have my furniture anymore--LOL! :) This was just me dealing with my own issues. They are doing their best and they wish I was already there, too. :)

salemslot9 said...

Lovely Rita meter maid
(I love the Beatles)
I hope you are not offended
I put my beak in
the first post I read
I did not mean any harm
wishing you all the best

Rita said...

No problem! Not offended at all.
I love the Beatles, too.
Nice to meet you. :)

Jeanie said...

I get that completely -- in every way possible. I don't like that unsettled feeling either. Even if you are in your own space, it doesn't feel right until it looks like home. We get tired living in a state of flux or one of stagnancy and while your life isn't stagnant, your space is, as you wait to move on. If you don't know how long you might still be where you are, maybe you should rescue a few things you've already taken over (or pick up some new) that make your space a home again. Rescuing a piece or two of furniture you like -- I know you've moved a lot of it. (Or picking up something new that could eventually go to the new spot, but that might cost a bit -- furniture always does unless you could find something fun on a yard sale. Art comes to mind, for the walls, but something -- to make at least one room feel settled. It's a small thing and doesn't have to be such an overhaul that you couldn't strip it quickly when the time comes. But it might help settle you a little bit. I suspect they know your feelings on this by now and are sensitive to them. You all have a great relationship and that matters a lot.

Meanwhile, the Christmas cards are darling and I'm glad you can get a good start on this. Time later in the year may get trickier!