Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Tuesday-3:30pm

Been puttering and taking it easy the past couple of days. Dark, rainy, chilly days--good sleeping weather. And--amazing--I have been sleeping at night and up in the mornings before noon for the past couple days! Actually up at 7am on Monday!! This fact has thrown me off of my normal schedule--hehe! Has thrown off the critters, too. :)

Dagan stopped by over lunch today. I needed help getting more room on the computer. He knew right what to do of course. :) Always nice to see him. This is the first time he's seen the porch chair inside the apartment--and it is so much more comfortable to sit in. He and Leah are coming on Saturday to help me with a few things. One of which is to take the gold chair out to the garage.

Tonight my former Spanish teacher, Maria, from Concordia is supposed to come for a short visit! I haven't seen her for sooo long and she is such good company!! I hope she can find the place easily with my directions because our time is limited. :)

As I am writing this I am watching James Spader on the Ellen show. I have always found him absolutely fascinating and he cracks me up! I think he's sexy, too--young, older, thin, heavier--doesn't matter. He is the reason I watch Boston Legal. He has a strange, warped sense of humor. Kind of like Christopher Walken--who I also love to watch and fell in love with when I watched The Deerhunter (but don't find sexy) and wish he was pickier in the movies he chooses, but he just does movies for fun and profit, I think. They both take such delight in making fun of themselves and what they do, I guess--like they are laughing at private jokes all the time. Just tickles me. He was telling Ellen that he and William Shatner are dressed up as women in their Halloween show. James thought he made a pretty looking woman--and added that was really more important to him than an Emmy, with a raised eyebrow and a smile. Cracks me up!

Last night I watched Secrets and Lies:

A family confronts shocking secrets and long-forgotten lies in this bittersweet drama. With no man in her life, single mom Cynthia (Brenda Blethyn) finds life with her sullen daughter, Roxanne (Claire Rushbrook), one big disappointment. But everything changes when Hortense (Marianne Jean-Baptiste) shows up claiming to be the daughter Cynthia gave up for adoption -- a revelation that shakes Cynthia's entire family. Timothy Spall also stars.

It was really good and didn't make the situation overly sentimental at all--very realistic. I loved Marianne Jean-Batiste's performance. She is so excellent with the constrained emotional response--very subtle actress. She's the black actress currently on Without A Trace. Brenda Blethyn played a very distressed, whiny lady in this one--she's always good in any role, I think.

Saturday I watched The Grapes of Wrath from 1940--they had little for a description on this one:

Based on Steinbeck's Pulitzer Prize-winning 1939 novel, Grapes follows the Joad family's exodus from the Oklahoma Dustbowl to California's fruit harvest.

It was wonderful--still! I don't think I had ever read the book before, or if I did I forgot. They did change a few things and skipped a lot from the book. The Joads came across as nicer than they actually were in the book--more sanitized, I guess. In the book the pregnant daughter was whinier, the kids (especially the younger daughter) were not quiet little angels, and the grandma and grandpa were a quarreling twosome. The movie focused mainly on the relationship between the mother and son (Henry Fonda). There was so much more in the book, of course--but it is still an excellent movie. :)

Possible snow flurries tonight. No snow on the ground at present.





No comments: