Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Wednesday-6:30pm

It's way too early in the year for snow!
This is what has come down in the past hour!

I actually took the cushioned chair and ottoman from the porch inside the apartment--and the two endtables. I want to move the gold chair to the garage for the winter, but I'll need Dagan and Leah to help me with it. We can set it on the little green cart, I think, and roll it out. The gold chair is not the most comfortable to sit in or to get out of. The porch chair is way more comfortable, actually, so why not have another chair inside that I will actually want to sit in, right? It will be much more comfortable for company, too. :)

Already snow accumulating on the porch railing--and Karma had to go out and lick some snow off the carpet, of course. Funny how when the snow hits the carpet you can see where the boards lie under the carpeting.

I finished reading The Grapes of Wrath today and it makes me want to order the movie from Netflix. When I get done blogging here I am going to go see if they have it.

Yesterday was a movie day for me. I watched Click:

Workaholic architect Michael Newman (Adam Sandler) stumbles on a universal remote control that allows him to pause events in his life or fast-forward through them. But things get really bizarre when the gadget develops a mind of its own and takes control of Michael's viewing choices, causing him to see how much of his family life he's sacrificed for his career. Christopher Walken and Kate Beckinsale co-star in this high-concept comedy.

And The Notorious Bettie Page:

Although she longed to be an actress, an unassuming girl from Nashville, Tenn., would ultimately become the nation's first bona fide bondage queen. Provocative filmmaker Mary Harron delivers an intimate biopic about 1950s pinup girl Bettie Page (Gretchen Mol), who whetted many a male appetite with her raven locks and sadomasochistic poses before becoming the target of a U.S. Senate investigation and converting to Christianity.

Click was a typical Adam Sandler movie for me. There are always aspects that I can barely tolerate (fart jokes, dogs humping stuffed animals--Adam's type of really off-color, juvenile humor), but there's also a touching aspect with a moral in the end--if you can get thru the rest of the movie. It was okay, I guess--an Adam Sandler movie. Had a good message in the end. But with his movies I do find myself wondering if the end justifies the means, you know?

I had heard of Bettie Page and seen some of her pin-up shots, but didn't know a lot about her. The movie was well-done and the nudity was appropriate, naturally, for her pin-up life. I think Gretchen Mol really captured her odd combination of innocence and sexiness. The movie showed how she kind of fell into modeling and what her young life was like. You could see how she felt she was posing in "costumes" to get by while she pursued her acting career--basically, no one knew much about bondage in that time period--especially Bettie! There's some nudity, but it is not a racy movie, by any means. Has more of a documentary flavor. I thought it was very interesting and done tastefully--or as tastefully as you can do a pin-up model's life story--ha!

Well, stay warm! I feel like I should be hearing Christmas carols!!

No comments: