Sunday, March 04, 2007

Sunday-12:30pm

CashWise delivered my groceries yesterday and brought me the wrong coffee again. Brought me the sugar free which doesn't even dissolve and tastes terrible--hehe! I called and they were supposed to bring me an exchange for the right items I ordered or call me. Never showed up. I called them again this morning and the lady said my exchange would be on the 12-2pm deliveries--and they'd call me if they were out. Never got a call--so the exchange must be on the way?

I made the critter order and two smaller art supply orders--have $1.70 left for the month--hehe! Just the way things typically are each month--chuckle! I am excited about the things that will be coming. I did get Miss Karma "da bird" wand and the extra toys for it--she will be thrilled!! And got her some special cat oils and a gravy with vitamins for her dry skin. Miss Gracie is getting her new bigger mirror for the top of her playpen. I needed graphite transfer paper and brush cleaner soap. My treat--I got a pastel wooden three drawer unit that I have been looking at for a long time--on sale for $19.99!! tada!

I watched two movies yesterday--opposites on the same topic--God. The one was Jesus Camp--a documentary on the evangelical Christians and how they are training their kids to be soldiers for God. Was the scariest movie I have seen in many years. I ordered it because of hearing about it on the Acedemy Awards. It was up for best documentary and was beaten by An Inconvenient Truth about global warming (loved that movie--scary, too--but in a different way). The main lady preacher that they followed in Jesus Camp runs a bible camp near Devil's Lake, North Dakota and also goes around the MidWest preaching to the evengelical kids. They are quite political and were very happy with President Bush these last few years, of course. I didn't realize that 75% of the kids that are home-schooled in the United States are evangelicals. And they are being taught that global warming is just a political scare tactic and evolution is a lie, etc. These kids are indoctrinated 24/7--they minister to strangers to save souls, protest and pray outside abortion clinics, pray outside the Supreme Court for a reversal of Roe/Wade, pass out tracts outside stadiums, talk in tongues, prophesy, preach, and talk with God all the time...and they know exactly what God believes is right and wrong and who God approves of and who he doesn't, I tell you. It was definitely a peek into the far religious right's homes and churches. There was even a little with Ted Haggard--the head of the evangelican churches until recently (he was caught with a male prostitute or something like that?). The movie was made before all that happened, tho--but I thought he seemed a little "off" and was so hyper, silly, and inappropriate or disconnected? The evengelicals are, in general, obviously sincere and may have the best of intentions--but I don't agree with them.

This riveting Oscar-nominated documentary offers an unfiltered look at a revivalist subculture where devout Christian youngsters are being primed to deliver the fundamentalist community's religious and political messages. Building an evangelical army of tomorrow, the Kids on Fire summer camp in Devil's Lake, N.D., is dedicated to deepening the preteens' spirituality and sowing the seeds of political activism as they're exhorted to "take back America for Christ."

Then I watched Conversations With God. A totally opposite point of view in many ways--but he was carrying on personal conversations with God, too--hehe! This movie was about author Neale Walsch's life. He was played by an actor and the movie only covered the time from his car accident and subsequent loss of all his earthly possessions. Neale ended up living in a tent in a camp park and dumpster diving! The movie didn't try to push you into believing he talks to God or not believing it--just presented his life and what happened to him as he experienced it. I enjoyed the movie. I read his book many years ago--maybe ten years ago now. I guess I should re-read it again when I get it back from Duane. :) I even have four more of the books from the series (from a book club I was in back then) that I never got around to reading. One of the reasons I ordered the movie--I knew after watching it that I'd want to read all the books. Do I believe he chats with God and has long conversations? I believe he believes it--and maybe it is true. From what I remember, all the things he had to say were very positive and loving--so I can't see what is wrong with spreading that around. I am more interested in the content than the messenger, I guess. :)

Based on the best-selling autobiographical series by Neale Donald Walsch, this film traces the author's journey from an ever-struggling, hopeless shell of a man to a world-renowned author and spiritual messenger. Lonely, broke and uninspired, Walsch finds himself asking the heavens for answers to his problems. When he begins to hear responses from the God within himself, these answers change his life and become the basis for his first book.

Meanwhile--the right coffee came while I was writing!! tada! So, I am going to go right now and make a nice hot mug of my french vanilla coffee!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

watched the movie version of Conversations with God recently; Neale Donald Walsch makes a good point about having freedom to admit that he's not perfect so he can move on from where he is.