Friday, April 16, 2010

Friday-12:15pm

Karma's favorite spots lately (besides the porch chair).
Watching CatTV.
In the doorway she can have the comfort of the softer carpeting, some rays in the morning, and still feel like she is outside when the doors are open.
Her chair on her cushy sage throw.
We've been enjoying the wonderful weather, as you can see.
****
I read up online about my meds and decided to wean myself off of the pain pills. I have built up a tolerance to them and they don't do much of anything anymore, anyways. Apparently both my meds could be contributing to the fuzzy-brained fog I've been in for some time. My meds are only for pain and IBS--won't kill me if I don't take them--and neither of them are preventing either symptom I am taking them for--hehe! So--what the hell, right?
****
I stopped the bentyl and cut the davocet down to just at night this past week. After a couple of weeks I'll start cutting the darvocet in half...till I am not taking it regularly anymore. Then it might work for the times I really need it--like when I go shopping or to appointments? And I am starting to feel a little more clear-headed--knock on wood!
****
This is supposed to be my year to try to figure out how to write-write again. How can I ever do that if I find it hard to concentrate when I am working on something I really have to focus on? Like I noticed when I was trying to learn this new laptop system with the pictures, for example. (Still haven't totally got a grasp!) Everything felt so hard to deal with and overwhelming--less patience--sooo hard to stay focused. Just didn't feel like myself. Like thinking thru gauze...or when you're not fully awake yet. (I'm not a morning person--hehe!)
****
This is exactly why I refused to take pain meds while I was trying so hard to finish college. But--eventually the pain level took away my ability to function and concentrate, anyways.
****
After I was physically forced to quit college I finally relented and got something weak--the Tramadol. Started out only taking it here and there...and finally, after a few years, all the time...until it no longer worked. Then I got bumped up to Darvocet...only here and there..then all the time...and now, after a few years, it isn't working anymore. Too scary. All fuzzy minded. Who knows what years of pain meds actually does to a person? To me?
****
I don't want to keep taking stronger pain pills. I want my mind back. I want to be able to write-write again--(an intense, focused, time-consuming process for me). I have decided that I would rather have more pain and diarrhea so I can (hopefully!!) think more clearly. How's that for too much information--ROFL!!
****
So--wish me luck! This fuzziness and the headaches have been bothering me for a long while. Thanks, Iggy, for looking up the side-effects of Darvocet. You're an angel! :)
****
Oh--and tomorrow Dagan, Leah, and I all have appointments for eye exams. We are all overdue--me--WAY overdue! Like maybe 8 years? Could well be a big reason for my headaches, too. (Altho--not hasn't been as bad the last several days??)
****
But today--washing clothes and hanging out with Miss Karma. Thinking positive. :):)
Have a great day!!

8 comments:

akartisan said...

I got a new cat today from Pet Pride, a cat shelter. A male named Rocky. So far he's been extremely quiet and non combative. I purposely got a male to try and balance the two females.

I know what you mean about the pain pills. I went thru that a couple of times myself and hate being fuzzy brained. Good for you if you can get off them, or even just take them once in awhile.

AliceKay said...

Pain meds have lots of side effects. Some sure do mess with your head and concentration. The few times I've taken prescription pain meds, they made me sick to my stomach. I hope you're able to cope with your pain by taking fewer of them. Good luck.

I have IBS, too, but I haven't taken anything for it in years and years. Didn't seem to help much even when I did. (i should've bought stock in the company who makes Imodium AD tho)

Chilly and rainy here today. It's around 45 degrees, windy, and rain showers going thru from time to time. Forecasting snow showers for tonight and tomorrow morning. Crazy mixed up weather. :\

Celticspirit said...

I wish you the best of luck in getting off those meds!

So your email is soulcomfort@gmail.com? I just want to make sure I've got it right.

Rita said...

Sue--Congrats on the new cat! I hope he gets along well with the other two. :)

Yes! You just don't feel quite like yourself and like you have one foot in la-la land. I hope to be off of them by May and then only use them when I really need them. It is a slippery slope to get on. The pain can also take away focus and concentration, too. Kind of have to walk softly on a narrow ledge. ;)

Rita said...

AliceKay,
True--I might not have as bad of acid reflux problems, either. I didn't think of that. Stronger pain meds--like when I had morphine after surgery--made me throw up. May make that better, too?

I haven't had much change from meds for the IBS, either. Some, but not enough to actually make a difference--like so I can leave the house without a days notice so I can not eat and take anti-diarrhea pills starting the day before. Sad, but true. Main reason I am home-bound. :( Maybe changing the diet will help?

Did you get snow! Too late for snow! I hope not!

Rita said...

Hi Barbara,
Yes--that's the email address.

I'm doing okay. Hanging in there. :) :)

Intense Guy said...

:) Happy Karma is a Good Kitty. :)

p.s., I love the old timer glasses in front of the really old timer typewriter picture!

Rita said...

Hi Iggy! I didn't think of that--the glasses in front of the old typewriter! Leave it to you to catch the funny I missed. :):)