Monday, March 25, 2019

3-25-2019 Monday-2:30pm

Good afternoon, everybody!  
It's been two weeks so there are a lot of pictures--some from Leah, too.  My back has been kind of three steps forward and one step back--but generally on the mend.  Enough that I have finally been catching up on laundry the past two days a little at a time.  Have had to sleep in my chair because the bed caused bad setbacks.  Maybe because I twist my back when I am sleeping in bed whereas I am stuck in one position in my chair--LOL!  My days and nights are all messed up, but I sleep whenever I can.  Mostly cat nap in my chair round the clock, but life is slowly heading back towards my normal.  Annie will be glad when we can get back into the old routine.  ;)
****
Anyways,  I'll begin with Leah's pictures.
****
For those of you who aren't familiar with snow, this is what the side streets looked like...
...and this is what one of the busier main roads was like.
Good days to be indoors catching some Zs... 
...or eating with your big brother. 
McFamily got a big new couch!  Obviously Daddy finds it quite comfortable...snoozing with Liam.   
Ian was awake, but everybody has been tired.  Although we are all on the mend now, I believe.  Pinkeye all gone.  We've all been battling the clinging colds.  McFamily all had strep and were on antibiotics.  FYI: I didn't get strep.  Hurray!
****
I know how lucky I am not to have to shovel.  This is what happens after you shovel the driveway and then the street plow comes through.
Sidewalks weren't easy to keep shoveled, either.. 
 Cozy inside--Liam and Blink. 
Ian and Liam under the throw on the new couch.  (It's not super new--they've had it for months but I just haven't been over since before Christmas to see it.)
Ian and Liam on the snow-walled sidewalk.
Yes, it's been melting out there!  :)
****
Now before I start on my pictures and forget--have to tell you exciting news!  I have spent time googling photos of wild birds a few times each winter and never found pictures that looked exactly like The Girls.  I couldn't find birds with the beautiful rusty orange faces, pretty striped wings, and marked chests.  Closest I ever came was a grouse.  
****
Well, I finally scrolled down far enough and found them!!  These are the pictures I found online!

They are partridges!
Grey partridges.  
Also called Hungarian or English partridges.  (Imported long ago.)  I found them on a UK website.  And there are probably males and females out there.  No wonder there are all the skirmishes and territorial fights--LOL!  Anyways, now I am having to retrain myself to call them partridges--grey partridges.  I don't know why it tickled me so just to have a proper title for them, but it still delights me. :)
****
Speaking of the partridges--when last we spoke you may remember Annie's frustration with her CatTV.
She would sit and stare at the snow wall.   
I think she was watching seeds and tiny pieces of snow being flung down the crack by the patio door or sometimes when it was a little warmer she may have been watching and listening to water drips.
But if she really wanted to see what they were up to... 
...not easy. 
Too much effort.  She'd usually go sit on the tan chair or give up altogether. 
We went from rabbits being able to stand up and check out the hanging bird feeder... 
...and this wall of snow... 
...to this. 
We got a notice from the office that we had to remove the snow from out balconies and patios or be responsible for any damages caused.  Got that the same day I last blogged. 
Dagan came over the next day and shoveled off the patio for me.  Was quite a task! 
Can you imagine, though.  A senior building with some folks in wheelchairs and several who use walkers or canes.  I can bet you that if they had to do it for you they would charge you.
****
Anyways, the critters were nervous about coming down on to the cement when there were walls of snow around them.  Took quite a while for them to adjust and they were all antsy and eating as fast as they could.  I imagine they felt trapped--no way to escape quickly.
****
Caroline was supposed to come to clean on Tuesday but her little boy got sick at daycare so we switched to Thursday...neither of us having seen the weather report.  The National Weather Service was predicting an "historic" winter storm.  Around us some got just the snow (like a foot!) and some got the rain.  Here in Fargo we were right on the edge, so they weren't sure--but expected freezing rain/sleet which is prime stuff for power outages, fallen trees, etc.
****
Since I had just had no electricity for five hours the week before I figured I would prepare since my back was so-so at the time.  I always figure if I am prepared then nothing will happen--and it didn't.  I cleaned off my oil lamps...  
...filled a couple buckets of water in the shower in case of manual flushing needs... 
...filled my giant thermos with hot coffee (the thing I missed most in those five morning hours), two smaller thermoses with hot water (been drinking immunity tea at night), and filled two bowls with water--one for rags/cleaning and one for consumption. 
Normally I would only maybe fill the thermos with coffee, but they said "historic", so I thought I'd take the extra steps.  Besides, my oil lamps were really dusty...and so were the thermoses--LOL!  And Leah told me I should dump a bucket of water down the bathroom drain in the floor by the washer and dryer once in a while to flush it--and I hadn't remembered for three years...so...two buckets went down.  ;)
****
The storm came in late Wednesday night and lasted through till Friday morning.  We didn't lose electricity, but we had an ice storm followed by a ground blizzard.  It was noisy...and suddenly critters were glad to be able to find food on the cement more easily.  ;)  I told Caroline we needed to switch to the following week--so she came last Wednesday.
****
 Meanwhile--before the storm--Leah had gotten the strep test kit and came over that Weds night to test me since they all had it.  I didn't, as I said.  Yippee!  She also brought over a couple of Gardein products they had on sale at the Natural Food Grocery.  One was new to me--pizza rolls.  So--later that night I baked and ate one.
****
Can you say food poisoning.
****
Within maybe 10-15 minutes I had severe stomach cramping that went on for hours...followed by terrible diarrhea.  Felt like I was going to throw up but never did.  Lasted for about 12 hours...and was still queasy for another 12.  So that's how I spent the ice storm/blizzard--LOL!
****
I've never ever had an issue with any of the Gardein products and am still eating them and am just fine.  Not the pizza rolls, though--tossed those!  ROFL!  
****
After the storm I was glad to see the cottontail again.  Hadn't seen her for a while.  It had begun to warm up.  Above freezing!  So I could crack the patio door for some fresh air.  
Annie has been in seventh heaven! 
The jackrabbits are starting to darken up.  A sure sign of spring. 
I was googling photos of jackrabbits and snowshoe hares (because somebody told me these are snowshoe hares) and decided ours look more like a cross between the two.  Not as gangly and bony-faced or with as huge of ears as the western jackrabbits, but not as short of ears and pretty white fluffy as the snowshoe hares.  I found this article though that I thought was interesting.  Click here.  That is where I live--south Fargo.  I guess some of the locals would not be happy with me feeding the rabbits.  Of course, anyone who puts out seed for the birds--they come to feast, too.  There's a whole slew of jackrabbits over by Dagan and Leah's, too, in West Fargo.  We're being overrun with them, apparently.  Note--they called them jackrabbits.  ;)
****
Anywho, back at the ranch...
****
I'd be feeling better for a couple of days and be able to move around less painfully and then for no apparent reason (except--OMG!--the night I tried to sleep in my bed) I'd be worse again.  But gradually there has been positive overall improvement.  Or I'd never be washing clothes the past two days.  In fact, when Caroline came to clean I asked her to change my sheets for me--a first!  And Dagan emptied my dishwasher for me when he was here to shovel the patio before that--another first.  So--am more functional every week.  :)
****
We've had above freezing weather during the days for quite a while.  Look how the snow has melted! 
 Yes, those big snow banks will take quite a while to melt down... 
...even right across the small sidewalk there is a big drift left. 
But look!  I can see my planters again! 
Shock! 
Why are the snow piles melting so much quicker by my patio?
****
This is why.
Rabbit poop.
Plus the old buried seed and shells everyone was digging for--LOL!
That's a lot of fertilizer.  ;)
****
Thursday night Leah came over and we worked on my "Leah List".  Got everything done except for cutting my hair.  Leah's going to try to come over tonight to do that.  (I wanted my hair cut before I have to try to get in to renew my driver's license.)  Then hopefully we will finally be able to get together for an actual Craft Night soon!  I have missed our time together.  Was so nice!
****
Saturday I had a shorter Gramma Day--no lunch--Ian came over after.  We snuggled up on my chair and watched Ice Age and his new favorite show--PJMasks (Netflix).  So, I finally got a Gramma Day after missing two weeks.  Sweet!  Need my Gramma fix--ROFL!!  ;)
****
And this Thursday I am going over to McFamily's for my birthday (68!).  I'll get to see the new couch in person--LOL!  Want to spend some time with Liam.  He hardly knows me but Leah said Liam loves to be read to--so I might have an in there.  I picked Chinese for dinner.  Awesome.  (Now, my touchy back, will you please behave!)
****
So, there you have it.  Two whole weeks.  Last Monday I didn't even write in my journals, either.  The first time I missed journaling in years.  Hopefully things will stay okay...and one of these days I will be able to sleep in my own bed again--LOL!  
****
I expect I'll be back next Monday for the weekly "newsletter".  This was on the late side, but I got done.  Whoohoo!  
Till next time!  :)
****
"Anyone can love a rose, but it takes a lot to love a leaf.  It's ordinary to love the beautiful, but it's beautiful to love the ordinary."
Unknown

13 comments:

Rita said...

Comment to get the comments--which I appreciate so much. :)

Far Side of Fifty said...

That snow was a pain in the butt! I am so sick of shoveling snow and chipping away at ice. I am so ready for spring! I am glad you are feeling a bit better and We call bunny rabbits bunny rabbits and jack rabbits Jack Rabbits. I always thought of Hares as being on the tundra in the Arctic...but maybe we are Arctic now:(
Hope you have a wonderful birthday!!!

Joy@aVintageGreen said...

Thank you Rita for letting me know that my posts are now showing up in email. I was a bit concerned because you didn't post last week so when you commented I knew that you were well enough to do that.

Grey partridges - glad they are now identified.

Great post today, lots of the 'feeders' photos, a wonderful cuddle time with Ian, your wonderful McFamily and Caroline helped keep things going and you have your birthday with your family coming up too.

Really, you did NOT need the serious aggravation of getting food poisoning when your back is giving you more than enough problems. Happy you are on the recovery side of that problem.

Hugs,

Joy

Bonnie said...

Wow - those snow pictures! The sidewalk looks like a tunnel almost. I love seeing pictures of the family especially those two adorable grandsons! I'm glad you were able to have a Gramma day Saturday. How cool that you discovered the birds are actually partridges. They are beautiful birds and much larger than I thought partridges would be but then I don't know anything about them.

You are sounding a lot spunkier so I hope you are feeling better. Backs can take time to heal I know. I was down over a month with my back one time - no fun. Spring has to get here eventually and that has to help us all to feel better! Enjoy your birthday!

DJan said...

I'm glad you are on the tail end of all that snow. Your stories about the back issues and all make me very glad you are taking such good care of yourself. It was a tough time but you are getting better and better every day. Have a great birthday celebration, Rita. :-)

TammyVitale said...

Now all you need is pear trees!!!!

I have to tell you how glad I am that I don't live there. Esp when I see what the snow plows do to a shoveled walk/driveway. Nope. That is criminal about the patios. I can't imagine why the building doesn't maintain patios as part of the package but then they'd complain about birds and rabbits, I'm sure. Daughter lives in a townhouse with an HOA. I hate them. I hate them so much I got myself on the board so I have a say in things. Glad to see spring is coming your way. Here too, faster (thank goodness). We alternate good enough to work in the yard with deluge and hail and cold. :) But at least I do get my hands in the soil. Glad you are feeling better. Keep going!

Divers and Sundry said...

So Much Snow!!! Wow!!! I'm sorry you've been having so much trouble with your back and hope it and your weather both improve soon :) Getting birds properly identified always gives me a sense of accomplishment :) Have a Happy Birthday!

Harvest Moon by Hand said...

That's interesting about the partridges not being grouse. That will take some getting use to calling them partridges now.

What a change in snow levels from the beginning of your post to the end. I think Spring is finally here. Annie will be happy to see the wildlife at eye level again.

GrandmaG said...

Dianne here :) Sorry to hear about your back, but sounds like life is still interesting. I haven't blogged in months. Too busy on Instagram these days. Part of a nice community and there's more interaction. Currently my big news is I'm getting cataract surgery, both eye two weeks apart, next month. I'm slightly more excited than anxious. Will be so nice to have clearer vision without glasses. Hubby retired last month, so he'll help me get through. Take care and stay being your positive self :)

Jo-Anne's Ramblings said...

Oh what adorable photos,so partridges and not grouse, interesting

Lady Fi said...

Glad everyone is on the mend. I enjoyed this post.

Serena Lewis said...

I'm glad that you are on the mend — albeit slowly.

Liam looks so adorable curled up in that 'basket'. I see Ian is wearing his Thomas T-shirt. Nice couch! Great that the pinkeye is gone. I remember Reece got it once when we were in the States and I was shocked at how bad it effected his eye. We get conjunctivitis (pink eye) here in Australia but it's only mild by comparison. And then to have strep as well — oh dear...poor McFamily. The boys look so cute snuggled under the throw together.

I remember all too well a time when the snow plough came through and completely blocked off our driveway. That stuff is heavy to shovel!

How exciting to find out you have Grey Partridges visiting! Cool!

Goodness, you have senior residents — some with disabilities — and management expects them to keep their balconies clear?! Seems very unfair. Yes, that chunky snow is heavy. I remember shovelling it myself many years ago.

Whenever we have a bad storm moving in, the first thing I do is boil the jug. Gotta have my coffee! Good you didn't lose power.

Sorry to hear you got food poisoning. Makes me wonder if the Gardein product had been defrosted and refrozen at any point in the store, hence the sale. Contamination during processing can occur too, I guess.

Happy Birthday! I hope you had a lovely time at McFamily's place.

Love the quote at the end!

Hugs from DownUnder xo

TammyVitale said...

Bad as Maryland - don't like the weather? wait 10 minutes! We had wind to blow you away yesterday but today is absolutely gorgeous: blue skies, just right temperature for gardening - just came in from 3.5 hours and will go back out after the sun goes down abit around 5 this evening. So I TOTALLY get the spring fever/house happy thing. I started in March this year which is early by anyone's standards. I can actually focus on the yard this year and that's what I"m doing (getting rid of grass, little by little digging beds by hand now).

We have grackles (not many) and lots of mourning doves along with 3 types of woodpeckers, finches, titmouses, chickadees, cardinals, bluebirds in the summer (they really don't eat seed, but they like to watch), robins now, bluejays eat the cat food I put out for the ferals. The don't come to the feeder. A couple of mockingbirds. Red and white breasted nuthatches and wrens. I think that's it - or at least our main birds. Hummers in the summer. I love that you have a patio you will be able to sit out on. Nothing like it! esp in the evening for me. My neighborhood is quiet and I love watching the stars come out. :)