Monday, August 31, 2020

August 31, 2020 Monday noon

Well, I am here today.  
Grab a cuppa and let's chat. 
Over 14 years of blogging and I have never needed a break before...but I'm thoroughly a believer in if you can't say something good...and I was too sad and upset to want to talk.  The state of the world and adding my own health issues on top of all that just got to be too much, honestly.  I needed to crawl away under the porch like a sick dog needing to be left alone.
I have watched less news.  (Need to know what is going on, though.)  Oddly, YouTube suddenly quit giving me any email notifications whatsoever a couple of weeks ago.  I get all my news online because I don't have regular TV or cable. Now I have to go find my subscription list and scroll so turns out it actually helps me avoid the news--LOL!  I can focus on my narrowboaters, crafters, book binders, world travelers (now doing other things like rebuilding old RVs), bullet journalers, card makers, etc.  Fun and not stressful.  ;)
We've had beautiful cooler days, then hot sticky back to gorgeous fall days again this past week with occasional rain/thunderstorms all along.  
I am back to being in a better state of mind, I guess...for several reasons.  I am having issues with uploading pictures on to blogger now that I have been forced on to the new format while I was these aren't in the order I would have liked them to be but I'm sure you can follow my meanderings.
You may recall that a year ago Dagan and Leah picked up new IKEA cabinets for a studio update.  Last September I took these pictures of where the new table with two cabinets underneath would go...
...and where the new tall cabinet would go. 
Then last November Leah did get the new table put together and in place.  (Note I haven't been able to open the taboret drawers holding watercolor supplies since then because the table leg was blocking them.)
We had planned to wait until after the holidays to get the cabinets together...but we are slow and didn't get around to it before Covid hit.  (Below--shall return to this exciting subject.)  
Annie and I spent lazy, endless, identical days where I just binge-watched The Good Wife and The Good Fight and lots of other stuff.
I made one trip over to visit McFamily before we had our mid-month exposures (Dagan to work, Leah to Costco, Caroline over here to clean) and then our subsequent quarantine.  I've not been over since.
I was missing LIFE on my patio so I started to put out seed again.  Wasn't half an hour and a partridge showed up!
I have so missed their clucking! 
Since I started putting out a cup of seed every day a covey of eight has returned several times, a single one (that first one), and a pair. 
Gangs of noisy grackles!
And even a baby cottontail!!
I have missed them all.  I didn't realize how much.  Annie is very happy for the critter company, too.  :)
Well, turns out both times I was told I had a UTI there were no bacteria in my urine cultures.  And I was still having issues.  So, I had Leah check on Facebook (I'm not on any social media) in the Keto/low carb groups if anyone else has had bleeding from oxalate dumping--since I have been fiercely dumping since I started last June.  Yes!  Others have had blood in urine.  Also treated for UTIs and even scanned--nothing.  So, I decided to see if I could mitigate the oxalate dumping by adding some lower carb foods with high oxalates--like spinach, beans, almonds, etc.
I have been making bean soup for a couple of weeks now and eating a big bowl every day.  Making it a little differently--using Leah's homemade bone broth...
...adding extra black beans... 
...and lots of roast beef! 
I have missed my bean soup.
Already I have a lessening with the dumping issues.  May be TMI for some people--but the UTI-type symptoms are calming down--and no more blood so far (knock on wood--I had some even during and after the antibiotics).  My eyes are watering even more like they did in the beginning a year ago, but clear and not gritty.  I have had less of the hard crystals getting stuck in my tear ducts.  My sinuses are calming down and I can usually breathe through one nostril--occasionally both for short periods of time.  The crusty white buildup I have been getting inside my nose for months and months has almost quit!  (Oxalates are hard and white.)  The all-over pain that was more than my usual fibromyalgia pain has lessened noticeably and is more tolerable again.  And peeing is less irritating and cloudy.  (Big way you pass oxalates.)  All in a couple weeks of adding oxalate foods so that my body isn't trying to dump them as fast as possible--LOL!
Funny.  When you are always adding a lot of oxalates your body chooses to store them when it can't keep dumping the excess fast enough.  Some people's bodies are better at that process than others.  Mine has pretty much had free reign to dump the storagehouse of oxalates for over a year and was going at it harder and harder.  Adding a few high oxalate foods has slowed it down for now and I should have thought of this a long time ago--LOL!  I am still dumping, never fear.  When I think of the amount of oxalates I could have in my body--no wonder I have been feeling even worse since I quit carbs and started dumping.  They may even be the cause or one of the causes of fibromyalgia and even arthritis.  Hasn't been studied enough.  Can take a person years to dump enough to be back to a normal range of oxalates and to get them out of all the places they have been stored.  And I have been in terrible shape for a couple of decades so I could have years of dumping ahead of me.  But I also could end up feeling closer to normal again after dumping enough oxalates.  Never know?!    
Anyways, I am kind of experimenting right now.  So far, so good.  I am seeing improvement.  I figure that if I felt better and had less symptoms over time that it was probably oxalates but if I got worse...then it was probably something else and I needed to go back and have them find out what is going on.  But I don't think it was UTIs.
Meanwhile, I am also finally going to see the new doctor, Kate Kessler, who is both a regular physician and also an osteopath!  You may remember I had an appointment to see her as a new client (osteopath) that I had to cancel due to Covid.  Now I have an 80 minute new client appointment set up for October 9th.  (Yes, she is that booked up and popular.)  That lifted my spirits, too.  :)
 Leah came over on August 12th for a Christmas card planning night.  We had made up several sets before Liam was born but he's three years old on Thursday and we have used them all up.  So we planned out three year's worth that night.  I have been working on them since then and I also brought supplies with and we worked on them the one day I visited on the 16th.  Once I get done with a set of Christmas cards I can start working on sets of birthday cards for myself.  :)
We started on the card bases.  First cutting.  Blue set.
Gold set.  We're keeping the sets on different trays to keep them organized.
Black and white set.  There are 100 in each Christmas set for Leah and me together. 
Next came the creasing to make them easier to fold. 
Then I folded.
On the blue cards--had the double-sided tape on the fronts so added those.  We have half the insides corner-punched.  Leah has the rest at her place.  Once the insides get taped in this set is done! 
Gold set.  About 2/3 the way through adding fronts and insides.  But then I have 100 green die cuts to make and glue to the fronts.  This set will likely be second done. 
This one will take the longest.  Need to black emboss the stamp on the white front piece and then color each one, then add the tape, and then attach the front and the inside piece.  This one will definitely be the last one.  Coloring while I watch TV is in my future...for some time...plan to color some birthday cards, too. 
Anyways, having projects to do and being creative (even if it is assembly-line work) lifted my spirits.  And the beautiful fall weather--my favorite time of year. 
Then--to really keep me busy (and delighted to be so after waiting a year) Leah and Ian came over for the day yesterday to work on the cabinets!!!
I had figured that, since we are still in a tentative double bubble, we should try to finally do that while we can.  So...yesterday was a big day!  Leah, with some help from Ian, got ALL THREE of the cabinets together!!  They were here till almost 7:30pm and went home in a thunderstorm.
Out of order, but this is what it looks like right now.  Beautiful chaos!
 The taboret is under the window table...
...and the low cherrywood cabinet is in the middle of the room for now until they both get emptied out and go to the garage.
 There is stuff piled everywhere...waiting to be sorted and find new homes.
The two new cabinets under the die cutting table!  They fit perfectly!  IKEA really does have accurate measurements, that's for sure.
The new tall cabinet fit, too.  Comes out a bit further, but I love it!
Ian had an important task that he was determined to do on his own.  He took out all the drawers in the old cherrywood tall cabinet and piled them on my bed.  Mama moved the cabinet to the hallway and then Ian put all the drawers back in by himself.
It was very exciting to see all Gramma's wooden stamps.  Each drawer he had to show me and/or Mama and talk about the treasures within--LOL!
I told him that he is old enough now that he is starting Kindergarten to start learning how to use stamps.  Soon.  I will bring over some kids stamps and ink pads I got for him like a year ago that he wasn't interested in back then when I go over for Liam's birthday on Thursday.  I hope the ink pads haven't dried up!  I'll have to check them.
Ian took his job with the drawers very seriously, as you can tell.  He was a very proud workman standing before the refilled cabinet.  ;)
A couple random pics from last night. 
Leah even made chaffles for dinner.  Was the closest thing we've had to a Gramma Day since the pandemic.  A very nice day.
Meanwhile, while I was writing this my dryer broke.  Luckily the clothes were dry enough to take out, sort, fold, and hang.  I think a belt broke or something.  Scared the bejeebers out of Annie and me.  Really loud!  So, I will finish up here and call maintenance.  
Not going to make any promises as to when I'll be back, but let's just say I am going to try to get back to my Monday posts.  Between making cards, critter cafe reopening, easing of oxalate dumping, an appointment with the osteopath, the cabinets together, and a bit of visiting...I think I have regained a lot of my positive balance...for now, anyways.  ;)  
 I have been reading blogs, even if I hadn't been commenting for quite a while.  Been more of a lurker--LOL!  That's been changing some, too.  Crawling out from under the porch.  ;)
Until next time.
*love and hugs*
"Where does it all lead?  
What will become of us?...
It leads to each other.  
We become ourselves."
Patti Smith


Rita said...

My comment to get your comments. I hope this still works. :)

Jenny Woolf said...

I'm glad to see you back Rita and to hear that you are feeling better. I don't think you're alone in feeling bad about the political situation, and the best thing is to ignore as much as possible of it. I had never heard of oxalates, so I looked it up, so I have learned something new this evening! Ian looks so grown up now, it seems so little time since he was just tiny. I can imagine him settling down to a task and doing it properly. Seems like Annie has been contented during your period of quietness, and good to know the birds are still out there to entertain you. Take care, take it gently and see you again soon! And now I must realy try to get my blog going again, I agree with you that the new Blogger is awful.

Diana said...

I'm so happy to see you, Rita!! I sure know what you mean by needing a break from everything going on in the outside world. Ugh. We are glad we don't own a tv. I rarely read news online anymore, it never changes. I read a couple Christian sites, but that's it. // Glad all is going well for you and everyone in the family. I love all the cabinets, they look great. So nice of the kids to help you take care of arranging them. And Ian being such a great helper! // I understand about oxalates, but I have to do opposite for Jerry - low oxalate foods because of his lithiasis (kidney stones). His urologist had explained years ago about the oxalate dumping and said Jerry would go through that regardless.I've done a ton of research on it until I could choke a horse with the info lol. My body goes through it too. Just a fact of health. // My! What a lot of cards! I stopped doing cards decades ago, we haven't received one for about that long too. But I admire the work you guys are putting into it - some very blessed people to get those from you! // Be blessed in your days, Rita!

DJan said...

Rita, I was thrilled twice over today: first to see a comment from you on my blog post, and then to see your own post! I've missed you and thought of you a few days ago and wondered how you are doing. Now I'm all caught up. I'm going to google "oxalate dumping" and see what I learned. :-)

Anvilcloud said...

I am a little late to the party and all of the background info and I don't understand all that has gone on, but I do get that you have had rather problematic health issues that seem to be gradually getting sorted. Maybe. Knock on wood.

Deb said...

Hi Rita - I had wondered where you had been. Hope you continue to feel better and better. Love your new cabinets. Have a good week. See you again soon, I hope.

Bonnie said...

It's wonderful to see you Rita! I'm so happy you are feeling a little better. I bet you and Annie are enjoying having the birds and rabbits back. I think wildlife always makes us feel better!

I love those new cabinets. They are beautiful and look like they will hold a lot. Ian looks so cute helping out. He is getting so big and grown up.

The Christmas cards look great and you girls have got a good start on them! You are both so talented at things like that!

I hope you continue to feel better. This has been a difficult year for all of us but I keep telling myself that things have to get better soon!

Take good care of yourself! xxx

Far Side of Fifty said...

Glad you figured it out and are feeling better! And back to blogging too! So good for you to have time with family!! What news I watch is no fun so keep not watching!

Lady Fi said...

So happy to hear you are feeling better! I'm loving the views from your windows.

pearshapedcrafting said...

I'm so pleased to see you 'up and at 'em' again! We very rarely watch a whole news programme but do have Breakfast TV on as they also include upbeat items and sports news. We started to watch Heartland on Netflix - on series 3 right now and loving it, mainly uplifting stories and we both like horses so Tony is also enjoying it! The two you mention are on our list but I chose Unforgettable and T chose The Fist and we both enjoy these so far! Well done for the reorganising of furniture and making a move on the Christmas cards! Well done to Ian too, very grown up job to do! I have reduced my carbs but don't want to take them right out - since my kidney infection last year I am wary of things that may cause a problem. I have got down 4 dress sizes now but still trying to wear out some of my clothes - my new nickname is baggy pants, and my weight is still heading steadily downwards. I haven't set myself massive goals, just small achievable ones to review as I go along! Thanks for the visits you have been making to my blog, I hope you feel up to making more posts yourself but you are right to take it at a pace that's right for you! Big hugs, Chrisx

Divers and Sundry said...

I miss Youtube notifications! When I looked into it, it sounds like you and I were the only ones clicking on those email links *sigh* I've started keeping one tab open to Youtube and that way I see the notifications when they show up there.

I'm still using old blogger. I dread the day they quit supporting it. I'll be moving to WordPress when that day comes. I enjoy the patio critters, too, but I never see bunnies on mine :)

Bean soup is one of my favorite foods. Your mix looks delicious. I hope your new plan helps this health issue. The Christmas card planning sounds like fun, and it's good to get a start on them if you're going to make them yourself. You are very well-organized, and you have great helpers :)

I'm glad to see this post :) We just hafta do what we can.

Jo-Anne's Ramblings said...

Oh Rita many of us have times when it all seems to much and like we can't be bothered as long as that feeling doesn't last very long.

I don't cook anymore the most I do is reheat stuff it ia too hard to do stuff due too the shaking.

Dee said...

Dear Rita, it's wonderful that you and Leah are making cards again. You are so creative, and when you cannot honor your passion to be creative, I'm sure that your spirits droop. Mine too. As to cooking, I'm eating all the food I froze last year--some 50 containers! Peace.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Once again, I'm late to the party. I'm so glad you crawled out from under the porch and joined us this week. I also LOVE bean soup, and could probably live on it, too. I didn't exactly follow all that technical stuff, but I hope it helps your health problems.

You are making a LOT of cards. I'm glad Leah is helping you again.

Ian looks so serious at his job. He did GOOD.

I'm still on Legacy and plan to be until I get kicked off it. Have a super day and week. Stay safe, too, dear.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Bit late to the Comments party, Rita, but a detailed post of how you have been feeling and all that you have accomplished, which has been a lot. Sorry you are still not feeling great and certainly the current world events are not helping any of us keep a good frame of mind, more so when your health is challenged. I too am one who will have to check on oxalate dumping as some if the info whizzed by my brain. But I too like bean soup so glad it is helping. Those new cabinets look great and certainly will hold a lot of supplies. The card creation process was interesting to see and you and Leah do have a process that works well. I reverted to Legacy blogger because the photo placement in “new” blogger wasn’t working for me.

Harvest Moon by Hand said...

I'm happy that you are in a better state of mind now. Love seeing your photos of the birds and furry visitors you get at your feeder. You have some different birds there than we do here. Your Christmas cards look beautiful - you made a lot of progress already on them.