Tuesday, July 20, 2021

July 20, 2021 Tuesday--6:30am

 Good early morning!

As soon as I said I hadn't seen any rabbits since last winter...

...there was a baby cottontail on the patio!  
What a cutie pie!
Looked too small to reach the flowers, but they can stretch quite a bit when they want to.  And where there is one rabbit...LOL!

So that may well be the flower munchers--cottontails!  I wish they would eat them up if they chew them off.  *sigh*

The news wasn't good this past week, but you know how I like to go chronologically.

I did have a Gramma Day with Ian on Tuesday...the day I saw the cottontail.  Ian played briefly with the new supplies...geometric shape stencils and a larger helix circle maker...
...but he seemed a bit tired, I think, from the tennis and golfing in the heat.  Watched some of his current favorite show (seems to change every time I see him-lol!) and we watched YouTube videos of baby birds sped up from eggs to leaving the nest.  Was a laid back Gramma Day.  :)

Wednesday I made soup.  Thursday I did laundry, hauled out trash, and Leah came in the evening.  She mostly worked on figuring out why my laptop is not charging.  It is at 6%...plugged in...and shuts down completely every so often so that I have to let it rest.  (Another reason to start blogging early besides the painful joints in my hands--lol!)  Anyways--Leah did online support, battery is good, apparently...so ordered a new charging cord.  Leah also cut my hair so I wouldn't look so straggly for the hospital.

Friday I had the MRI.  A strange experience--lol!  Earplugs & headphones--and they must have chosen "60s bubblegum music for the 70 year old" to play softly in my ears--ROFL!  A big plastic board of sorts was strapped on my belly and they put a bulb shaped thing in my left hand that I could squeeze if I wanted o-u-t.  There was a lot of "breathe in, breathe out, breathe in and hold your breath" while the machine made a variety of noises. One sounded like a maniac pounding crazily on a door.  Most were a series of odd clicking sounds.  Sometimes the table felt hot.  I kept my eyes closed and tried to relax as much as one can while following directions on when to hold your breath and not thinking about the fact you're in a tube inches from your face--lol!  Had an IV that shot dye in my arm at one point--didn't sting for long, but did at the beginning for a quick bit.  The entire experience took around half an hour.  Was not as bad as I expected...but I was really ready to be out of there by the end.  

Leah and the boys dropped me off at home.  Later Leah came over to water the planters for me and Liam asked to come with.  He seems to enjoy watering my planters with the red sprayer hose.
I was more exhausted by the MRI than I thought.  Fell asleep from 7:30-10:30pm!  And I just spent the weekend relaxing, resting my hands, and--Leah was right--I was too shot for a Gramma Day.

Yesterday was the new urologist and the results of the MRI.  Leah left the boys with Dagan and came in with me this time.  (Dagan needs to use up some of his vacation time and that's a good thing with everything going on with me, I guess--a silver lining?)

The urologist was a lady doctor and was very nice.  Not great news, though.  I have three small masses in my liver.  One looks benign, but the other two look different.  Could be the cancer has spread to my liver so I need to get a biopsy (needle in the stomach).  That's a separate procedure that will reveal if the cancer has metastasized.  The needle bit hasn't been set up yet, but will probably be soon.

Meanwhile, I need the tumor/mass scraped off my bladder.  Then they will be able to see whether it has gone into the wall, what kind of cancer it is, etc.  I will be put under for that one--hallelujah!  They may also fill my bladder with some medicine/chemical stuff for an hour afterwards (catheter) depending on what the cancer looks like.  They didn't say whether I would be awake for the super full bladder time or not.  Hope not, but what can you do.

Long run--worst case scenario--if the cancer turns out to be bad/inoperable and/or spreading...they may have to remove the bladder.  Don't even want to think about that, to be honest.

There will be more trips in for pre-op stuff.  That's it so far.

There are no conclusions until I have the surgeries as to what will need to be or be able to be done.

I am still just absorbing it all.

By the time Leah and I were leaving the hospital there was a sudden (totally unexpected by the weather folks and apps--0% chance of rain) thunderstorm with wild winds and lashing rain.  Just getting from the car to the front door of the building here I was totally soaked--LOL!  We need the rain and I actually wished it had lasted a lot longer.

It stirred up the Canadian geese who live a couple blocks away, I guess.  Look what the storm brought in--LOL!  
Might have been a family with nearly grown young ones.
Supposed to be in the 90s for another week yet.  Every day.  My new chair won't get a lot of use--LOL!  Too dang hot and the air is almost wet with humidity.  Oh well.  This, too, shall pass, right?

I have a few pics from Leah to share, too.

I was telling her how France was lending the US a miniature statue of liberty--and she told me that we have one here on one of the bridges (to Minnesota).  What?!  I didn't know that.

She took a picture of it.  You might have to enlarge to see her.  I'll be darned!

With the delta variant spreading more and more in the US it makes me wonder how much longer it will be safe to have our bubbles?  Here are the boys with Uncle Aaron.
Or for the boys to be able to go to the playground (only a recent addition that may be short lived)...
...or for Ian to be able to go to things like his tennis class with the kids a couple times a week.
Liam goes along to watch with Mama.  Here he is with his shades and a beef stick snack.
I just read that now they are saying that children over two and even those who have been vaccinated (over 12, I believe) should wear masks to school.  Well then public places probably, too, right?  

I am very worried about all the unvaccinated people being okay.

Well, let's end on a lighter note...
Leah sent me pictures of her hanging watermelons!  I've never seen this done before--LOL!
She put them in these mesh bags you can hang on the trellis.  :)
So cute!  Could help them not get all icky on the ground side, I guess.  Anyways, I love it!

Well, by next week I should have the dates and times for all these appointments finalized.  Surgery will be on August 9th, though, and I have my pre-op appointment with a doctor tomorrow.  The hospital seems to be just packed with people.  Maybe a lot of people are getting things done they have put off?  Who knows.  But they have been very busy when I've been in there lately.  There was hardly a place to sit down in the radiology department waiting room when I was there and I had to wait 40 minutes to be called for my CT scan.  We haven't been hit with delta much yet up here.  But we have less than 40% vaccinated in North Dakota last I heard...so it could go badly here pretty soon.

Anyways, stay safe all you wonderful people.  I appreciate every positive thought, prayer, encouraging comment, and good vibe sent my way.  I have been so lucky to have met the best people online over these years I have been blogging...and some new ones now, too.  I just hope I can manage to stay in touch once they eliminate the follow by email.  I don't want to lose you all!  But if I am not commenting quite as much lately even while I still can it is due to a combination of the painful hands, wonky eyes, and cancer-shock to be honest.  But I'll still be reading and posting and doing my best to keep up.  :)

Just got the call...pre-op appt tomorrow, lab pre-op 26th, and pre-op covid test Aug 4th,  Surgery on Aug 9th.  Different department to set up for needle in the stomach to biopsy the liver but it sounded like they would like to have that done before the bladder surgery so I will probably hear from them soon, too.  

I think today I desperately need a pajama day...calm and quiet.  Thinking healing thoughts. Cuddling with Annie.  Watching the birds and a good show or two.  That sounds really, really nice.  :) :) 

Bless you!!
"In the midst of gathering darkness, light becomes more evident."
Bonnie Bostrom

And right before I was going to hit post...
Okay, I am scheduled for the liver biopsy on the 29th at 7am.  Said it will take 4-5 hours!  That was a surprise.  It's more like when Dagan has heart caths and you aren't put totally under...but I'll be all groggy and need a ride she said.  For sure.  And since I was supposed to have my covid test that day she said to tell them about that and they can probably work it in while I am there for the biopsy so I don't have to come back or stick around.  Well, I should hope so.  

Okay....now....calm and quiet....calm and quiet....

Till next week.


Rita said...

Man! Blogger likes to mess with my font size. There's really no point in checking the preview anymore. LOL! :)

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Dam when it rained bad news you really got pelted, Rita. I was saddened to read the results of your tests. But, more so about what lies ahead for you with the biopsy and bladder scraping, not the best news to get my friend. In all honesty, I admire your ability to share your diagnosis here, and you will be in thoughts and prayers (if anyone is listening up there). Enjoy your PJ day with Annie, calm and quiet and bunny watching.

Far Side of Fifty said...

At least you have a plan and appointments. That is a good thing. Gene had a Liver Biopsy and it was no big deal but he was groggy and had to wait around afterward for awhile. Sounds like you have a full schedule! Thinking good thoughts and sending them your way!!

Jo-Anne's Ramblings said...

You sound more oganised then me at the moment and you see such delightful creatures around your home

My Tata's Cottage said...

Many prayers for you and all you are dealing with. I will talk with Karl and everyone will be praying for you. You sure have a wonderful attitude and your lovely photos show it.

My name is Erika. said...

I've had that MRI test on my kidneys before and it is very strange. Especially when the table felt hot. And my mom had bladder cancer and she had that chemo where she held it in her bladder for a certain length of time and then went to the bathroom. It worked well for her, so I'll keep my fingers crossed it works for you also.

Joyce F said...

Sorry to hear the outcome of the MRI. I've been praying for you and thinking positive thoughts evwe aincw you atED FI

Laurel Wood said...

I am praying for you. God bless you. Mildred

Deb said...

Hi Rita. I love your realistic optimism. I am glad you have everything all set up so you will know more soon. Sounds like you have good doctors who know just what needs to be done. You continue to be in my thoughts and prayers. Glad you got some rain. We desperately need some out here in the West. I love the cute pictures of your grandsons and also that cute baby bunny. Keep us posted as much as you are able to. :-)

Anvilcloud said...

You poor thing. So many battles going on.

Bonnie said...

Rita, I'm so sorry you are having to deal with all this. I'm sure it is overwhelming and frightening. I'm grateful you have Dagan and Leah there to help you out as they do. They are such a blessing for you!

I've had several MRIs and you are not kidding about the noise! I don't know why they give you earphones with music because you usually can't hear it. I had a laugh when you said it sounded like a "maniac pounding on a door" because that IS what it sounds like.

This Delta variant is getting a bit scary. Where I live (Missouri) all of our cases are that and we are already back up to as many cases as we had last January. I hope this winter won't be too bad.

I love your picture of the little bunny, how cute! I bet Annie like it too. He probably does have family near by.

Please enjoy your TV programs and try to relax as much as you can despite everything. You are in my prayers.

David M. Gascoigne, said...

We have exactly the same issues with the rabbits. We enjoy seeing them and welcome them to our yard, but they can be vandals of the worst kind, and as you point out they often just chew off the plants and don't even eat them, Grrr!

Mary said...

Haven't commented before, but have been reading your blog for a while. Just want to offer my thoughts and prayers for you. So sorry you are having to deal with so much; it has to be more than a little overwhelming. Good that your family is around to offer support. Hoping that all goes well with the tests and surgeries. Frankly, I'd say you deserve more than just one PJ day. Take care.

Jon said...

My positive thoughts, prayers, and love are with you always.

DJan said...

I am sorry to hear all this unpleasant news, but I have faith that you will find a way through it all. I am keeping my fingers and toes crossed for you, dear Rita. And sending you virtual hugs.

Divers and Sundry said...

You got a great photo of the bunny :) If they just wouldn't eat the flowers! Gramma Days always look like fun. Watering is a peaceful task. I always found it soothing as a child and still enjoy it.

I hope you get better news in future visits. It's all so scary, as I recall from my husband's dealings with cancer diagnoses. My heart goes out to you with all the positive energy I can send.

Janie Junebug said...

I was just at David the bird man's blog and he had baby bunnies. Now I visit you and you have more bunnies. MRIs are always noisy. The last time I had one they didn't bother with the music. It can't really be heard anyway. It's just a tinny drone. Well, you have a lot coming up, my friend. Since I got done crying, I have had nothing but positive thoughts and wishes for you and Ralph is concerned about you, too.


Jeanie said...

I think a pajama day is a brilliant idea and well needed. I know results like that have to be a bit overwhelming. Well, more than a bit. But you are strong, you have faith, you have support. You will do as well with this as anyone can. From Michigan I send prayers, love, hope and energy for the tests and procedures to come. Hang in there. You can do this.

nwilliams6 said...

Saw your blog on Chris's blog and popped over to look. I love your blog style - journaling and pictures and deep thoughts. Very interesting. I am sorry you are having so many health hurdles, but I am very amazed at your way of writing them and your VERY positive approach to them. You totally deserve a PJ day or two. I have sent up some prayers for you and your obviously sweet family. Hope to visit again soon.

Edna B said...

That little bunny is adorable. God Bless you for keeping a positive attitude through all your health problems. You definitely deserve at least one, maybe two or more, pajama days. Sending prayers for you, hugs, Edna B.

Juli said...

We have bunnies everywhere this year. Not sure why. I have done that with my watermelons as well, it help to keep the squirrels off them too. I love when the kids take an interest in watering and growing stuff, such cute pic. :)

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

Good thoughts coming your way as you wait for all your tests and procedures. I'm glad a t least that you have dates -- waiting for the different drs to call you is the worst. Best wishes for positive outcomes. Take care.

Harvest Moon by Hand said...

You've been given a lot to think about regarding your diagnosis. I didn't realize a liver biopsy took 4-5 hours. That's a long time!