Monday, December 19, 2022

December 19, 2022 Monday--5:30am

 Good early morning!  

For once I haven't been up all night.  Slept 1:15 to 5 am.  Not much but at more regular hours the past few days.  I'll take it!  :)

I have a TON of pictures this week.  It was cold and snowy...so beautiful...but dangerous.  Lots of extra seed out for the wild ones.  The Critter Cafe was very busy this past week.  But meanwhile, Allie and I were grateful to be snuggly warm inside.  Since we only have about 8 hours of light, I put on the actual Cat TV for Allie a lot.

We had snow storms and snowy days most of the week.
Was a wet, heavy snow...
...that weighed down the trees.
Beautiful...from indoors.
But rather relentless.
I would toss out some seed...
...and within a few minutes company would arrive.
Gotten so cold, too!  Our predicted high from now till Christmas is today at 4 degrees.  Tuesday through Saturday the highs are getting lower each time I look, it seems...-2 to -8 now.  Predicted lows -8 to -21!  I do go through more bird seed when it's this cold...and pray the patio door will still open!
I am always glad to see some deeper snow for the partridges so they can burrow down into their holes against the wind.
Flocks of sparrows and juncos...the little birds.
One day it was such wet snow the patio door was dripping wet.  Allie was fascinated watching the small chunks of snow slide down the glass--lol!
The super wet day wasn't so pretty.
Cottontails showed up while it was still light out.
Colder the next day so that clumps of snow clung to the glass.
When the weather is really bad even two coveys of partridges that normally bicker and chase each other for food...
...well, there were 14 of them traveling together for a couple of days.
I wish humans would know to stop bickering when we have common threats to our survival.

Even an arctic hare showed up!
I thought they might be here during the night still...
...but I rarely see one in the daytime anymore.
I am generous with the food when it gets bad out there and they know it.  Can you see one covey just hanging out across the way?
They clump together to keep warm.
I swear they listen for the frigid creaking of my patio door because I toss out some seed and a few minutes later it usually looks like this.  The small bird flocks come in quickly.
They finally came and plowed the walkway a couple days ago.
All the birds are jumpier when there are dog walkers on the pathway.  They seem to know when no one will be walking back there--lol!  They are all more relaxed.

The partridges hung around sometimes.  (This is why I leave those little table out there all winter.)
I love it when they do and hate to move around too much inside because it scares them off if they notice me.
After days and days of winter weather it cleared...and the giant snow banks had grown up...
...from the parking lots being plowed.
I toss out seed, as usual...
...and not four minutes later...
...it looked like this.  :)
I am especially appreciative this winter as it will be my last winter feeding the birds here.  But--never fear-- there are quite a lot of people in these endless apartment complexes who feed them.  The wild ones just know I am generous and buy good seed.  (Better than I did at first, but they'll eat whatever they can get--lol!)

So wrapped up in the Critter Cafe this past week--Allie, too--but other things did happen--lol!  

Monday 
My printer died completely after being a pain in the patoot for a couple months.  Leah came over later on with a new Epson and hooked it up for me.  Showed me how to fill it with bottles of ink!  I have had HPs for years and they never last very long for me so I am trying a different brand this time.  Have any of you had an Epson?

I cancelled Keanna for cleaning and we'll try again in two weeks.

Thursday
Cancelled the infusion.  Due to Christmas and my lingering issues we rescheduled for the 30th.  I certainly hope I am doing a lot better by then.  Things have been gradually improving...just much slower then I would like, of course.

Leah got ahold of the company that does the cement floors and they said they'd get back to her this week with a schedule.  Can hardly wait to find out when!  :)

I finished with my Christmas cards.  Was so happy to actually get done this early.  I thought I might be mailing after Christmas this year--lol!

Leah decided she doesn't want to mail the handmade cards anymore but she will help me with making them and other cards--like my birthday cards every year, etc.  She plans to have those picture kind made!  I don't blame her.  They are nice.  Especially with a short Christmas newsy note on the back.  So many people are making those these days instead of using cards of any kind.  They're especially nice with growing families so you can see photos of them every year.  

Leah thought I would be really hurt, but I totally get it.  I'd feel bad if she didn't want to ever make any cards with me anymore--yes!  But that is not the case.  I told her it is more like going back in time when she was first around with Dagan and saw me mass producing Christmas cards.  I made like 120 back then.  Being the sweet girl she is, she offered to help do simple stuff like cut or fold cardstock...and we found we loved making cards together...for over a decade.  She has learned how to do a lot more than cut and fold cardstck--LOL!  I don't mind her not sending handmade Christmas cards herself at all.  I totally get it and would actually love the photo ones to save with pictures of them all.  She still makes handmade cards for anything that comes up--graduations, weddings, and the like.  There are always changes, eh?

Oh, and with less big sets of cards to make it will take less time.  In the past few years here its been hard keeping up with making the 100+ Christmas and 50 birthday cards.  It's been difficult for Leah and I to get together regularly.  That will change when I am living there!  :) :)  

I used to make many smaller sets of 8-12 cards that I used for tucking hand-written letters inside...but haven't managed to make them for so long that I've been buying them!  So that is definitely a goal of mine--to get ahead with some Christmas and birthday sets--so I can just be making cards for sending letters like I used to do all the time.  Honestly--I am really praying that I will get back to my regular old crummy days and have at least some energy again once I (hopefully) get off Keytruda.

In the meantime--I'm slowly getting better in the poo department--lol!  But I still have not felt confident enough to actually get dressed, to be perfectly honest.  If the next couple days continue to go better...then maybe.  It would be so nice to just be able to have on socks, pants, and a t-shirt!  Funny the things one takes for granted.

Saturday
I started copying the big brown address binder into this smaller artsy binder.
I actually finished that night!
It has other lists and things in it besides just the addresses--like birthdays and my Christmas card records, etc.

Sunday
Worked on setting up my new tweaked planner/bullet journal for 2023.
Using an actual planner saved me from having to date all the months and weeks--wow!  I got out my little planner stickers and went to town!  Added in reminders for the year to check my plants twice a month, bring my check down to the office for rent, balance my checkbook, blog on Mondays, Wanderlust classes on Fridays, Keanna cleaning every two weeks, all the birthdays for the year filled in, and the doctor appointments I know I have already.

The added insert page Leah made for me (on the left) has my monthly tracker...which I filled out for January.
The other side has monthly goals and a correspondence tracker.  I don't fill those out until the end of the month.  Man!  Did this ever go faster!  BUT--I do have to put the insert page in-between the first week of the month's pages because there's nowhere else to slip it in.  If that drives me nuts and/or the lack of other additional space I had...I'll have to go back to the format Leah made for me where I fill everything in for the entire year.  I'm hoping I'll adapt to it but I won't know until it's actually in use.  Fingers crossed.  Would save me and Leah a lot of time every year. 

AND I addressed the envelopes for all the birthday cards for the year, too!!  Whoohoo!  I was not feeling up to cleaning and purging stuff but I got these sedentary projects done.  That made me very happy...and sore---lol!  

Miss Allie thinks she is helping.  She's not.
Allie is my first cat that has been allowed on the table top and desk and TV cabinet.  She's older and set in her ways.  In other words, she came with those bad habits and I don't want her to hate it here--LOL!  And I think I am just older and don't care as much as I used to.  ;)  She does get shooed away if there's food, though!
 
I watched the new A Christmas Story Christmas and enjoyed it.  I didn't care for the other sequel that was made a while back and never re-watched it.  This one I would watch again.  Loved that it had the original Ralphie, Randy, Flick, Schwartz, and even Farkus!  It's not as good as the original, of course, but it is a good runner up, IMO.  ;)

Besides A Touch of Frost and Doc Martin I've been watching S5 of Yellowstone.  I have to work up to watching Yellowstone.  Such nasty folk with so much anger...but it is gripping, I have to admit...story-wise and acting.  I also watch a few daily Vlogmas vloggers on YouTube...and all the regular vlogs I follow.  Keeps me busy and my spirits up while I am not feeling great.  :)

Some photos from Leah!
Look at the depth of ice on their driveway!
Miss Blink.    
Sure hope she accepts Allie.  If not--Allie will be fine with me, of course.  But if they can get along...I might not see much of very social Allie--LOL!  Blink is very social, too.  Would be so great if they became friends--or at least tolerated each other--LOL!

The two trees out front with the lights on--covered in that heavy snow.
Some shots of the snow over their way.
Ian with a snowman by the front steps.
Ian and Liam checking out the snowfall.
Another snowman...with a cute smile.
A snowman who is quite depressed over the wet snow--lol!
Leah and I were talking about where I'd keep all my laundry supplies.  I was wondering if I would need a rolly cart for in the maintenance room.  Leah said that they plan to build shelves on that back wall by the furnace...where all those wires are hanging down.
She showed me a close up of where the second cat door will go under the stairs...
...way off to the right there.  Straight ahead is the hallway that runs under the entryway upstairs and Allie can go up the stairs.  The door to my apartment will be in that hallway to the far left of the stairs there.  Once the floor is done Leah will do a naked basement video, I believe. 
Obviously Blink has been coming down in the basement to use her blue cat box you can see there.  I wonder where they will put that while that company is doing the basement?  

Allie will have a cat box in the maintenance room.  There will be a first cat door behind my toilet for her to sneak back and forth into the maintenance room.  Of course, if Blink and Allie get along they will both be using the cat boxes and the doors--lol!  If they choose to share litter boxes we might end up with one.  With cats you never know, right?  This is Blink's territory--her home.  So we'll find out.  We can keep the cat door under the stairs closed until we know if they get along or not--or want to try and see, I guess.  Can close it off if they fight.  

Allie is a lover not a fighter from what I've seen and how she was at the pound and Cat's Cradle.  She stayed away from the other cats and in one spot.  Would barely eat or move.  That's why she was a fluffy bag of bones when I got her and within a month of being happy here and feeling safe she plumped right up into one chubby cat--LOL!  Back up to a chunky lady, I believe.  She had walked with such stiff back legs I had mentioned to Leah that I thought she could be older than the vet thought.  Turns out it was just a fat cat walk on a boney cat.  Looks perfectly normal now--ROFL!

Anyways, it's 8:00 and the sun is coming up.  This coming weekend is Christmas already!  I hope you are all safe and well and have a wonderful Christmas!!!  Virtual hugs, my friends!!!  The season of Love is upon us!!  Till next time...

14 comments:

Divers and Sundry said...

Sometimes 4 hours straight feels worthy of celebration :)

Wow! Just _look_ at all that snow! They're predicting as much as a quarter of an inch here... Your predicted high is the predicted low for our coldest day this week. It's a different world. I enjoy sparrow and juncos, too. The juncos -we call them snowbirds- are winter-only birds here. I love your idea of leaving the table out for birds to shelter under. Sweet.

There's a lot to be said for the photo cards, and y'all are a wonderful example of being flexible and open to changes :)

I'm glad you're getting better! I haven't seen the new Christmas Story sequel, but I've heard good things and am looking forward to it. Those decorated trees look beautifully magical in the snow.

Have a wonderful Christmas if we don't have contact before then. {hugs}

jinxxxygirl said...

Rita! Hi there woman!!! Are the two cats male and female? Both fixed? i think that is your best case scenario for them getting along.. Both declawed would help too.. that way they could do less damage to each other as they learn to get along.. Glad you are feeling a 'little ' better. Received your beautiful Christmas card and letter.. thank you soooo much. Even though you are okay with it.. i'am sorry to hear Leah will be cutting back making cards with you.. Maybe she will change her mind once you are actually living there and it will be easier to get together.. Merry Christmas my friend! Hugs! deb

Hena Tayeb said...

That is a lot of snow. Nice of you to put seed out for the birds.. they sure look like they appreciate it.

Jon said...

Wow - you are really having a brutal winter, it looks like Siberia! I'm glad that you and Allie are warm and safe. It's also a blessing that the birds are able to feast at the Critter Cafe.

I hope you and your family will have a peaceful and blessed Christmas.

Unknown said...

You're getting quite the snow and cold up there! I love seeing all the birds gathering on your patio to eat. Those arctic hares are SO big compared to standard-size rabbits. Looks like a lot of good progress is being made on your new home. I'm excited to see it as it gets further completed and you finally get to move in! Enjoyed seeing all the photos that you took during the past week! Hope you have a wonderful Christmas, Rita! It's hard to believe it is next week already.

I'm not sure what's going on with my name/ID. Hope you've figured it out it's me...Ann at Harvest Moon by Hand!

Deb J. in Utah said...

Hi Rita. You have really had the snow and cold weather. Makes our weather here look absolutely balmy. I love the critter cafe. How kind of you to keep your critter friends fed when it is so very cold. I also love all the planning and progress on the new apartment. So exciting. I love your handmade Christmas card, but realize that making Christmas cards is tons of work. I totally understand Leah wanting to go the photo card route, especially as the boys are growing up. I hope the week ahead is a good one and that you have a Merry Christmas!

David M. Gascoigne, said...

I doubt that prolonged hours of darkness would bother a cat - they are in their natural state principally nocturnal. I had no idea there was such a thing as cat TV. I live and learn! All the very best for the holidays and the new year - David

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Lots of updates, as usual, Rita, and glad that you and Allie have been keeping safely indoors, not that I would even want to venture out in weather and temps like that. We dodged the snowstorm last weekend and got rain instead and now temps are in the mid 20s, balmy compared to yours. It is so nice that you keep the partridges, rabbits and other birds fed and I kept thinking on the 12 Days of Christmas song every time I saw the photos😉 It would be nice if the 2 cats get along, but when Patrick and I moved into one place together and we each already had a cat (Sambuca & Misfit) did not get along, but merely tolerated each other.

Making cards is a process and Leah does have a lot going on, but nice that you and she will be doing them together still. We received a couple of those photo greeting cards this year, but there was no personal writing on them at all. I still prefer regular cards as I write notes in them and then can include a photo separately. To me it’s the best solution.

Hope you continue to feel better day by day and that you can celebrate Christmas with McFamily. We will be traveling to do the same. Merry Christmas to you & Allie from Grenville and myself.

DJan said...

I love seeing how busy your critter cafe gets when the weather turns so cold and windy. All your pictures were fun to look at, and I am pretty sure that Allie and Blink will get along well, once they are past the first encounters. And I am so glad to hear that you are gradually getting better! Sending you big virtual hugs, dear friend!

Anvilcloud said...

A good update Rita with some changes that you like better than others. I hope you continue to enjoy the merry party that takes place just beyond your door. What fun! I think I really like Allie and hope she does well in the new place.

Janie Junebug said...

The photos of the trees with lights and snow on them look so pretty. One year for Christmas the kids gave us little outdoor lights that we planted in the ground around our deck. They had a timer so the lights came on in the evening. When it snowed, the lights looked so beautiful at night with snow all around them. The warmth of the lights made tiny snow caves for each one. That ice from McFamily's driveway is really thick! I think I've mostly had HP printers. The last one I had might have been an Epson. When I got it, it worked. Then it sat for months because I seldom need a printer. When I tried to use it, it made a grinding noise. I bought new ink cartridges for it in case the old ones had dried up. It still made a grinding noise so I put it out at the curb for someone to take home to fix. I'm sure the boys will gain a lot of snowman making experience over the years to come. I bet Allie and Blink will become friends. Maybe the two of them together will spend time hanging out with you. I haven't had much TV watching time in between work, cookie baking, Christmas cards, and decorating, so I haven't watched Christmas movies the way I usually do. I do want to watching the new A Christmas Story movie, especially now that you say you enjoyed it. I want to watch Yellowstone and haven't even started. I also got Paramount Plus streaming and Showtime because they have some shows I want to see. The one you talked about before, 1883 I think it's called?, is on Paramount. I won't be as busy after Christmas so I'll have more time for relaxing and watching. I have a long weekend coming up because we don't work on Monday and I don't have to work Saturday. I'm looking forward to it. I only sent about 15 cards, but that's more than I sent last year. On Saturday I asked Carol if she'd gotten the card I mailed last Monday. At that point she still hadn't received it although we're in the same city. I hope you got my card and letter. I'm glad you'll have shelves with the washer and dryer. I look forward to seeing photos of the progress on the basement. You might like Leah's new cards so much that you'll want to make a change, too! But I love your cards. I'm sure you'll feel better by the 30th. I'm sending positive vibrations.

Love,
Janie

Jenny Woolf said...

I am glad to hear you're feeling a bit better and hope you're going to carry on that way Rita. I hope Blink and Allie become friends too, that would be great. I think you're wonderful feeding those little creatures on good quality food, and I am sure you are helping some of them stay alive. I'm glad there are other people in the apartments who are doing the same who will continue the good work. Stay warm, and keep improving!!!!

Far Side of Fifty said...

Half the birds in Fargo are visiting you! What a nice refuge in this colder weather! I hope you have a good rest of the week and can do some of the things you enjoy!

Jo-Anne's Ramblings said...

Just dropped by to check out these great photos of kneea