Monday, March 06, 2023

March 6, 2023 Monday--12:30am

Since my hours are all off & kind of flipped and I have to take so many breaks...well, I still have been finding it easier to start my blog on Sunday nights.  Starting at 7pm...but this is going to be a long one due to pics and short videos.  Grab a cuppa and a snack--probably be Monday before I'm done.  (Yes--it was!)  

It was another week of hanging in there, watching shows, resting, waiting, enduring, and feeding the critters.  I did get something done with the help of Ian and Liam on Monday.  Leah and the boys stopped by with a couple things from the grocery store and I asked Ian and Liam to help me empty the tall cherrywood cabinet filled with rubber stamps.

I had cleared off the table and they helped empty the 14 drawers.  I had a donate box and a keep box and started sorting while they piled rubber stamps on the table.  By the time they left I was over halfway done purging!  Moved the save box on to the table.
I still need to go through this save box again and group them together by categories to put into zip lock bags so I can really double check on whether to save them or not.  I think I can still thin them down a bit more.
Then I even drug out this smaller bin of "non-angel" stamps to sort through I had in the studio closet.
Years ago when Leah and I used to sell cards there were angel companies and non-angel companies.  Angel companies let you use their stamps on cards to be sold in small amounts.  Non-angel companies did not...so those were separated many years ago.  Was fun to see some of the stamps I have missed...like these for...
..."heard you caught a bug...hope you feel better soon."  :)

So the save box got a few more stamps.
The donation box is in the pantry waiting for any last additions.  ;)  Then I will locate a card making group somewhere in town to donate them.
Leah and the boys took the cherrywood cabinet home with them.  The boys planned to use it to store all kinds of crafting goodies.  (Leah's pics will follow below.)

Tuesday night we had another blizzard.  Leah said we got a foot of snow and I believe it.  My planters and the two little tables were basically buried.  Even the birds didn't come much to eat because of the high winds and pelting snow.  But I think they all braved a visit at least once that day.
What I tossed out there was covered over pretty quickly...
...but they all seem to know to dig for it.
You can see how the snow drifted up against the glass of the patio door so I could only get it open far enough to toss out the cups of seed.
Big projects this week for me were to bake some fish, make some beef soup, and do laundry.  Funny how cats don't seem to mind miserable inactive humans at all. 
They are more than happy to keep you company.  Cats do love a snooze buddy!
As that snowstorm was dying down...
...this cracked me up!
Where the sidewalk would have been...there was a covey of partridges digging holes into the side of the snowdrift to keep out of the wind.
I have often seen them dig a hole to hunker down in--just one or two at a time--but this was a covey of them digging almost a tunnel!  So funny!  And clever.

There was so much snow up against the patio door that Allie had to park herself up on the TV cabinet to be able to watch the birds.
Leah has my pics and hers randomly rotating on my TV.  I have it on all day when I am not using it to watch a movie or show.  Kind of fun to see what pops up.
That was my week more or less...so I am glad Leah sent lots of pictures this past week so I could see what the boys have been up to and how much snow they got at the house.

Here's the cherrywood cabinet all dusted, cleaned, partially filled, and labeled up in the schoolroom.
Funny, when it was in my hallway I had to have it a little ways away from the wall, too, to be able to reach the light switch.
The boys were excited to have spots for so many things!
Easy to get to and the drawers are removeable.  
That's what Leah and I always liked was we could pull out a drawer or two and bring them over to the table.  I'm glad they are now filled with everything from googly eyes, to washi tape, to punches.  :)

After this last dumping of snow Dagan and Leah finally decided to purchase a more powerful snowblower!
There are things you still have to shovel by hand, of course...
...but their old snowblower couldn't get down to the sidewalk very well and that's not even taking into consideration the huge snowbank after the plow goes through.  
Ian...
...and Liam ready for snow duty.
Can you see what the snow plow leaves at the end of your driveway.
Was a pretty good dumping...
...this last week.
I was very impressed with their new snowblower!!  Look at how it carved right through the mess at the end of the driveway!
Those of you who never have to deal with snow get to see how much work it is just to clear off driveways, sidewalks, and steps.
And having a really decent snowblower makes finding the sidewalk a lot easier!
This snowblower is awesome!!
Another storm brewing right now--Sunday night through Monday.  Only a few inches and Leah said she's ready for it now--lol!

The boys were busy this weekend.  They went to Home Depot and bought kits to make their own pin ball machines.  I thought--what?  How would you make a pin ball machine?  Well, here they are busy at the task...
...which involved painting them, also.
Leah showed them both to me in a video.  
Ian's pin ball machine.
Liam's pin ball machine.
Kind of a clever idea from Home Depot, eh?

I wasn't quite sure what this was...
...but it was obviously over at the Plains Art Museum.  Must have had parts they could put together on the floor to make their own birds or creatures.  They have such fun things for kids there.
And this last Saturday it was an Anything Goes Art Day for the kids.  So they had lots of supplies to choose from.
Ian shows the robot he made.  Not finished yet, though.
They also got to pick up the clay pieces they made (based on Minecraft) a couple weeks ago that had to be fired.
Ian's
Liam's.
I don't know anything about this game Minecraft.  Gramma is really out of the loop--lol!  They made masks on sticks, too--that have to do with Minecraft.
They wanted to make Gramma some videos.  Gramma always likes videos.
Ian's pinball machine...
...and demonstration.
Liam's pinball machine (showing his lost tooth)...
...and demonstration.  (He added marbles--lol!)
Meanwhile, I do have to apologize.  I haven't been online very much and never even got back to my commenters from last week.  Sorry.  Was just one of those weeks.  Didn't even do my daily journaling or any letter writing for five days.  Hopefully this week will be better.  I requested (online) back on February 27th for refills on my steroids and the nerve pain pills.  Said it could take a couple of days for them to respond but never heard back and am out of both.  Let's just say the Keytruda side effects have been getting a little worse again instead of better and the shingles scabs are almost all gone but the rash and pain are not.  So we'll see what this week has to hold on that score.  The shingles should get better over time, regardless...just a matter of endurance.  But I am not so sure about the Keytruda side-effects if they are kicking up a bit again already.  Wish me luck on getting another round of steroids.  That really had made a difference there for a while.  So did the nerve pain pills...quite a bit more than I realized, to be honest.

Anyways, still not getting dressed, but am able to get done what I have to get done.  I do have to tell you that the best thing I watched all week was the Swedish version of A Man Called Ove.  There's an American version coming out with Tom Hanks--may be out already.  I know I will want to see that, too!  I am not a crier--but I had tears drip off my chin and had to blow my nose several times.  Was funny and sad and touched my heart.  You just know Tom Hanks will knock it out of the park!

I have had things on my to-do list all week that still haven't been done.  Oh well.  They're not going anywhere--lol!  As long as I got my bullet set up for March and my rent check down to the office (albeit in my robe at 2:30am) and have food to nuke...I'm okay.  

Keanna comes on Tuesday to clean.  They're doing a big snow removal in the parking lot that day so I have to let her know that if she tries to park in the lot they will tow her away.  Who knows where she'll find to park!  Might be a block or more away for all I know.  Maybe she'd rather come another afternoon.  I'll ask.

That is the day Leah and the boys go shopping and they bring me groceries.  So I will be forced to get some semblance of clothing on under my winter coat so I can bring my cart out to the parking lot for a quick drop off.  No visiting this week.  :(

I heard from my sister, Renee, via text.  She still hasn't has that missing bone plate replaced in her skull.  She's feeling much better and more herself--just waiting for the surgery.  I filled her in on my end--the good and bad news.  More good, though, even if I feel miserable--lol!

And so it goes.
Till next time...everyone be well, safe, and happy!!  :)

15 comments:

Deb J. in Utah said...

Hi Rita. Wow, you got a lot done this week with purging all those stamps. Cute pictures of the boys. They are always doing such interesting things. See them at Home Depot in those little aprons making their own personal pinball machines reminds me of when we took our kids to Home Depot (actually just the boys - the girls were already in their teens) to make fun things. They enjoyed that. Wow, you have a lot of snow. I can sure relate. More snow expected here this week - a little almost every day. Thankfully, since we got the storm that dropped 17 inches here in the valley, most of the snow is staying in the mountains. We are now starting to wonder if there will be flooding this spring. I hope you can get feeling better again. It's always good to hear from you. See you again soon.

Anvilcloud said...

There is a lot here, and by the time I get to the end, I tend to forget most of it, but I remember being impressed by that cabinet and also by the amount of snow. We’ve gotten plenty, but I don’t think we’ve had a single storm that was that heavy.

DJan said...

Wow, you were right, that was quite a long post. Finished my tea and enjoyed seeing all the pictures and hearing that you are doing okay, even without your meds. Hope they come soon.

Jim and Barb's Adventures said...

Man, that is a lot of snow! One would need good snow removal equipment up there! We got about 5-7" last week but it has settled and now only looks like 3". That area of North Dakota seems to go through extremes with floods and droughts. It looks like it is going to be another wet spring!

Jo-Anne's Ramblings said...

Most days I feel like I do bugga all and still I am exhausted by lunch time. I liked your photos they make me smile.

Far Side of Fifty said...

Email or my chart that dr for the refills everyday. Apparently a nurse is holding things up. Be a squeaky wheel>) Sometimes it takes a long time to be rid of Shingles symptoms...hang in there:)

Hena Tayeb said...

That is a lot of snow.
We have on the other hand had none.. my youngest is itching to go play and sneakily eat some snow.
Love all the craft projects the kids made and all those happy smiles.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I am saddened that you can't get the medication that you so badly need. I hope you will be able to get both refilled and soon, too.

You took on a big project with those stamps and that cabinet. Wonderful it is now used for the boys crafts.

You got a LOT of snow. I can't believe how much from Leah's snow blower photos. Just amazing.

I hope you have a much better week and get the meds you need, too. Thanks for your kind comments. They were so thoughtful.



Jeanie said...

That's a lot of snow! Your grands are darling (so is that storage unit) and I really love how the partridges dug right in there! I'm sorry the side effects have kicked in again and also about the shingles leftovers. I hope the steroids will help. Keep hanging in there -- I hope next week is a little better and things ease a bit.

Victoria Zigler said...

That's a lot of snow! And so clever of the birds to dig in together, and know to dig down for what you put out. They'll miss you when you move in to your basement apartment at McFamily's house.

Those pinball machines are a neat craft idea. Fun to assemble, and then a fun toy afterwards.

Great the cabinet can be put to use in the boys' schoolroom. I'm sure you have plenty more things to purge, but I'm equally sure it feels good to have a bit more done.

Sometimes the only things that matter on the to-do lists are those tasks essential for getting through the day. Sounds like that's how last week was for you.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

First, Ian and Liam are very creative and it's great to see them doing various types of crafts and activities, also nice to read that they helped with the stamp sorting. That emptied cabinet sure got a great re-use for their projects too.

Yikes, on the amount of snow you've been getting and that snowblower did an awesome job. We've had several small storms but nothing more than several inches. The partridges were quite clever in huddling together in that tunnel.

Sorry to read about the continuing discomfort from shingles and hope that time (and steroids) will be what eventually has you feeling better, Rita.

DVArtist said...

Hi Rita. It amazes me how much you get done in a week. I do love that cherry drawer set. The kids are really growing. Uhhhh wayyyy too much snow for me. Prayers and healing energy for Renee and you. Stay warm over there.

Janie Junebug said...

The little pinball machines are cute, and the boys are even cuter. It's so nice that Ian and Liam could be your helpers and then use the cabinet. What a surprise to hear from Renee. You certainly have your share of snow. I've been amazed by the stories about the snow in California. The snow blower works very well. I hope you have your medications by now. At first when I made my medication requests online with my new doctor, I had to fill out the requests two or three times and send a message to my doctor. His office seems to be making better use of the web portal now, and I only have to make my request once.

Love,
Janie

Jenny Woolf said...

I am sorry to hear you are still suffering side effects and pain. I wonder if they can offer you something that would do the same job as Keytruda, but perhaps have fewer effects. Though I guess you have asked that already. I guess all you can do is endure but I am still willing for it to get better soon. Some of those stamps are interesting. Yes, I spend too much time agonising about what to donate and what to keep, too. I never seem to give away enough to solve the problem! Those kids are just wonderful. Liam on snow duty looks ready to shovel for Fargo!! And that video of Ian with his pinball machine is great, he looks such a thoughtful lovable kid. I definitely think you hit the nail on the head about cats loving a snooze buddy LOL . Thanks for this nice post, and I hope you will be feeling better next time you post.

Divers and Sundry said...

I can't believe how far behind I've gotten with commenting :(

It looks like you're getting a lot done. That's more snow than we ever get here. I can't imagine. Wow! I'm sorry about the meds issue. I would've thought the steroids in particular they would want you to not skip days with. A Man Called Ove is in my watchlist.