Monday, August 14, 2023

August 14, 2023 Monday--1:30am

Greetings!  

I am starting this very early on Monday morning since I have been on flipped hours and just had super crazy hours Sunday...4:30-5am, 5:30-7:30am, 10am-12:30pm, 3:30-5pm, and 5:30-7pm.  Who knows when I will be awake or asleep now today--lol!

I am also going to try writing this not centered.  I had never thought about why I always centered the writing on my blog until Beatrice brought it up her on her blog about it being easier for people to read from left to right (well, western countries).  Do you find it harder to read a blog like mine that is usually centered?  Let me know what you prefer.  Oh, and I just found out I don't know how to get my pictures changed to the left margin.  Oh well.

Anyways, I went to the dermatologist on Monday and he cut the hard lump off my skull.  Said it looked like calcified cells.  Usually these types of bumps are related to the hair follicles (like ingrown or infected, he said).  But I know it only appeared immediately after I smacked my head hard on the cupboard door.  Had been bigger and softer like it had fluid in it for quite a long time and gradually shrunk down to this hard knot.  Anyways, he cut it out, sent it for analysis (to make sure it wasn't cancer--but we don't think so), and stitched me up.  Maybe I damaged a hair follicle when I hit it so hard?  Who knows?  He doesn't, either.  When I got the results a few days later he had put down "pilar cyst ?".  Could also be related to a poor immune system, I think he said.  Aha!  Mine is shot!  (Leah was in the waiting room with the boys so I didn't have my back-up ears with me--lol!)

As far as the shingles...well, it is technically now a shingles scar, he said, because it is not active anymore.  Why I still have the coloration of the rash on my skin, he didn't seem to know.  But the random shooting pains and the itching--people do have that sometimes...for months or even years afterwards (or forever was implied by the shoulder shrug).  The pain & itching is a neurological reaction.  Aha!  Remember my crazy neuropathy reaction to the chemo from waist to toes that took about a year to go away?  That makes sense in an odd kind of way for me to have another neurological reaction to something when I was just getting off of the treatments.  Anyways, just part of my life for now.  May or may not go away.  I shall continue to ignore the stabbing pains (they're very random and I get those in joints, too, from arthritis--so they fit right in) and I'm trying various creams for the itching (which is not that bad only when rubbed on by clothing makes it worse).  

I started on the Inchies on Monday.  The first prompt was Frothy.  I immediately thought of the frothy white edge on ocean waves on the shore.  Not sure why.  (Funny, Leah said that was the first thing she thought of, too!)  Most people might think of specialty coffees, I would think.

  I put blobs of watercolors on first and let them dry.

Allie seemed suspicious and confused by me spending time in that little room she has thought of as hers (because I was so seldom in the studio).  
I doodled...and added a brown wash for the sand.
But I realized I was doing these all wrong.  We are supposed to use the prompts only to find a very simple pattern to repeat.  Supposed to be more into the process than the final product.  

Day 2--Woven.  I thought of baskets.  I tried hard to make simpler patterns.
Day 3--Bark.
Day 4--Magnolias.  Well, come on!  How could I resist doodling some flowers.
Day 5--Spill.  Trying to keep it simpler.
Honestly, I don't care.  I will do it my way.  I find the color blobs and doodling very relaxing, regardless.  And I haven't done any kind of art for so long I can't resist trying to make them look a little like the prompt, you know?  So, I go back and forth.  But I am having fun.  I am behind a day, but I will catch up.  It's been that kind of week where I've had some days I wasn't feeling very well.  But was a good week.

Leah and the boys brought over the new black IKEA rolly carts!  I transferred all the writing stuff from the rust-colored rolly carts to these (which will be in my living room when I move).

My pretty blue butterfly page holder clip looks really beautiful against the black.
Leah took home the rust-colored one with the broken wheel to fix it...but then couldn't find the weird metal epoxy paste.  Meanwhile she surprised me--had grabbed the chair boxes from my garage and put those together the next day--and then brought over the two new IKEA chairs.
They are small but work fine.  The cool thing is--when you have little boys at the table eating--the seat cover is velcroed on and is washable!  Nice.  I only wanted the two.  I have a couple of rolly chairs already (one is next to the new one at the table there and the other is in the studio) and my big favorite rolly chair I use at the kitchen table.  Now we can sell the four black plastic ones--whoohoo!  Neither Annie or Allie liked to jump up on those black ones with the slippery pad on the seat.
I have the other chair in the bedroom...
...and guess who wasn't afraid of this chair--lol!  She made herself a comfortable bed on the laundry I hadn't put away yet.  (I kind of lay things out so they don't get as wrinkled when I am not up to the entire process that day--but cat nests don't keep them smoothed out--lol!)
Leah looked up on my top pantry shelf in my odds and ends containers--sure enough!  She had left the epoxy paste over here because we weren't sure the wheel was going to stay on. (7 years ago?)  So, she took that with her and brought the repaired rolly cart back the next day.  Yes, she was here three days in a row!

Been letting it cure for a few days before I try to put it to use in the studio.
The other one...I already filled the top shelf with all of my brush pens, markers, drawing pens, art pens, etc.  The only thing I knew for sure was all these cups were going to be on top of one of them.  ;)
My new towels had come, too.  Didn't want to wait till I moved.  My old ones are getting frayed and are scratchy.  That is the only product I can think of we haven't been happy with from IKEA.  Quite a few of the IKEA ones fray pretty quickly, sometimes seams come undone (kitchen towels and rags), and some were on the scratchy side to begin with.  I've tried two bathroom sets, actually.  This time I decided to try the ones Leah ended up getting from Target.  (She gave up on IKEA towels before I did.)  Leah even let me use a couple hand towels to see if I liked them.  Yes.  Hers are a few years old and still look good and feel soft.
So I got a set of tan colored ones and a set of this dusty teal-colored ones.  And that Leah!  She even offered to cut off the tags and wash them for me!!
I put the teal colored ones in the bathroom first...along with the shower curtain Ian helped me put up when they were all here with the black carts.  Leah let the boys pick out another shower curtain to borrow, too!
But you may notice how they look more of a gray in the picture above and not teal??  So does that mean you aren't getting the full effect of my wild shower curtains?  What a shame. ;)  Most of them are quite vibrant to say the very least. :)

Oh, it took a couple weeks but I got the results from the bone scan.  I don't have osteoporosis.  I do have some thinning of my bones (but I am 72) so that in another 10 years or so I may have joint issues to deal with, it said.  Like hips or knees, I assume.  The arthritis will get me before the bones crack, I think--lol!  But I don't want to push my luck and do any falling--lol!

This coming Sunday McFamily is driving down to Minneapolis for a whole week!  Dagan has his annual heart/pacemaker checkups and this year they decided to make a little vacation out of it.  Bringing the boys to places they have wanted to go or to return to.  They love a lot of things at the Mega Mall, I know--the aquarium, the Lego store, minigolf, Rainforest Cafe, etc.  I don't think they've gotten to see since Covid, but I'm not sure.  Whatever they have done was rushed and limited by short visits, regardless.  This time they'll have time to visit with Leah's sister and her family.  The boys can spend time with their little cousin.  They plan to go to the Children's Museum...plans every day on the google calendar, I see.  In the midst of all that Dagan has a stress test and his checkups.  But what a fun week!

The only thing I have scheduled for this week is on Friday I go to have a nurse take my stitches out--LOL!  But I'll get to see the boys and Leah for a little bit.  I wonder if they want to see me get my stitches out?  They passed when I had blood drawn--lol!

I will have plenty to keep me busy.  Have the Inchie Challenge through Friday, I think it was.  I plan to at least begin doing P&P in the studio.  I have several smaller projects or areas to get through, so I have quite a ways to go on the to-do list yet--lol!  I was going to save the studio for the very last, as you know, but what the heck.  I think I am ready to begin in there.  It is going to be a long process, anyways.  Also do plan to take some time to work on things like the Inchies and some cards, etc.  Been too long and I miss it too much. I need to use up a few spoons on creative pursuits. ;)

We had a cooler spell here and some rain for a few days--whoohoo!   Then looks like back to the 80s and low 90s through next Wednesday.  Can't remember if I told you Leah and I were discussing it and we decided to leave the planter boxes to sell in the spring.  That makes more sense as long as I'll probably still be here that long and I have pictures of them in full bloom.  Fine with me.  One more winter to feed the partridges, sparrows, and arctic hares, too--and they do seem to enjoy the protection of the planter boxes. :)

Well, folks--that's about it from here this last week. Let me know if you prefer the left alignment of the paragraphs.  I will count up the preferences.  If most people like the left alignment...well, I will have to try to figure out how to move the pictures over, too--lol!  I know I can figure it out (or Dagan or Leah can help me).  This is me making a democratic offer in an otherwise autocratic endeavor of many years...so, vote, people, vote!  ROFL! ;)

22 comments:

David M. Gascoigne, said...

Whether the text is centred or aligned from the left is something I had never thought about. I have no preference either way as far as I know, since neither method has captured my attention before. I doubt whether it’s something I even consciously notice.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

As always, Rita, this is a post full of updates and progress. I appreciate that you tried left-aligned text in this post based in my recent post. Personally speaking, it is easier for me to read, especially as your weekly posts contain so much about what’s been going on with you. But, it remains a personal preference and up to each blogger to choose the style. That said, it will be interesting to see how the voting goes.

As a fan of Ikea products, the new chairs and carts looked good. We have never favored any of the textile products, which always seemed too thin. McFamily has quite the adventures planned on their upcoming trip. Hope that Dagan’s test results are all good news. The Mall of America would be a place we would enjoy as well.

DJan said...

I prefer left rather than centered. I am glad to hear your bones are so strong, Rita. And those inchies do look like fun! :-)

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I actually prefer the left alignment, but that is because it is how I have it set up on my blog. Art Journal Journey was set up to center justify. I like how this looks.

I also like those new black carts. I want one, but live nowhere close to an IKEA.

LOVE your inchies and I actually like your spin on the prompts, too. So good to read you are back in your craft space and making art, dear.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Forgot to mention. To get your photos to left adjust, go to your post (can be new post). At the top of the page, you already know how to left adjust your text. Add your photo. At the top of the photo you will see three adjustments on a popup bar. On the left, click on the left adjust. That should do it.

Jim and Barb's Adventures said...

I've played with my blog and preferred left alignment text and centered pictures. For some reason, my eyes prefer that layout.

jinxxxygirl said...

You know whether your text are centered or left aligned i still read left to right... I think i like the look of it being centered. As long as you break it up with some paragraphs like you do i have no problem reading it not matter how you align it.. Good news on the bone scan AND the bump on the head. So glad to hear that. I cannot say i'm a fan of IKEA although my daughter is i think.. We have towels from Target that i've had 12 years i think... still very servieable but i think i might like some new ones.. Ours are extra large and plush and have held up well.. I love your inches woman! Do them how you want to do them... what makes you happy!! How are you going to store them? I like that the ATC's fit in a Baseball Card holder plastic sleeves if you know what i mean.. Its convenient.. Be well my friend... Hugs always.. deb

Far Side of Fifty said...

Do which ever works for you! Both are easy to read and your font is a good size! Ok that is not helpful left align is my vote. You had a busy week, glad you got rid of that bump and it is nothing to worry about. As for the Shingles some people always have problems...:(

Far Side of Fifty said...

Forgot to say Target is the only place I buy towels! In fact I need some new ones:)

Hena Tayeb said...

Vote! You said it.. it's the most important thing to do right now.
I love all your little prompted paintings.. very pretty.

Jo-Anne's Ramblings said...

Being awake at all hours and unable to sleep when one should would suck, Never had a problem with reading your blog however, you write it is fine with me.

As long as the removal of the lump isn't cancer then that is good and you feel good about it being gone then all is good.

I still have pain on the left side of my head and around my left eye from having shingles last August.

Yeah Allie does look suspicious of you.

I can no longer sit comfortable in chairs that don't ahve arm rests

Deb J. in Utah said...

Hi Rita. I always align my photographs by highlighting the photo, then using the same guide on the toolbar that I use to align my paragraphs. I hope you can understand what I am trying to say. I always try to justify my text to it is even and straight on both sides, with no ragged edges. Another new shower curtain, and some nice fluffy towels. I love it. I hope you have a good week.

Rajani Rehana said...

Beautiful blog

Janie Junebug said...

How you align the text doesn't really matter to me. I can tell you how to put your photos on the left, if you like. I'll send instructions by email if you tell me you want them. It's great to know you've been in the studio and creating and of course everything is beautiful. It's funny that your "bark" prompt makes you think of something like bark on trees and for me it would be dogs with open mouths. I enjoy the pictures of sweet Allie watching you and following you around. She is your little shadow. A week away will be nice for McFamily. The latest shower curtain is great. The towel does look kind of gray, but the curtain still looks colorful. I'm glad you have new towels. Scratchy towels are the worst, but Leah is the best for washing them for you.

Love,
Janie

Jenny Woolf said...

Glad to hear you're doing the inchies your way. Thats what I would do too. I like IKEA but haven't bought their towels. I have occasionally bought furnishing fabrics which are good. Those new chairs are nice. I don't really notice how the text is aligned. I don't think the colour of the towel affects the look of the shower curtains, all the ones you have posted so far look wonderful. I do hope your family enjoy their trip to MN.

Divers and Sundry said...

I center my photos but not my text. I have no trouble reading it either way and hadn't really thought about it before.

I'm glad you had a successful interaction with the dermatologist.

I like your inchies. The prompts sound helpful, and I like where you went with them. Those chairs are wonderful! Your shower curtains are seriously tempting me. My only one is solid dark brown. I'm glad you got good results from your bone scan. Fall prevention is important as we age even if we're healthy. No falling for us! :)

We've had a cooler spell this week, too, with highs only in the 80s. Sounds like the weather pattern is the same but the temps are different...

Juli said...

I have had several pilar cysts on my head. Not much to worry about. They will come back though if you don't get the whole bit of it out.

I'm a towel snob. They have to be a certain size, because you know... I'm a big girl, and no one needs a draft. ;)

Font position means nothing to me, I have a hard time though if the blog has stark contrast (like a black background, white blog blocks and red writing). If the content is good I'll stop buy for a few posts a month, but if it isn't I'll stop reading. Also, a ton of pop ups and ads typically means a hard pass for me. Lord knows I get enough ads for things I can't afford on FB. LOL.

Stevenson Q said...

Hello Rita, thank you for sharing about your week to us, it's always a comforting pleasure to read from you! And I agree with Beatrice's advice about left to right posting. centered is not bad but this is easier to read. And I hope all will be well when you get your stitches out. I'm a bit scared of blood too but not as much as my brother who passes out.

Rajani Rehana said...

Great blog

Jeanie said...

I can't believe I'm reading this so late! First of all -- inchies. Do them your way. However your way is, with or without the prompt. They're fun and a good project, one that doesn't take a lot of space and is creative. I love your chairs and so glad to hear no osteoporosis. The pain thing is no fun but when they are quite certain it's just that way and you go with it the worry eases.

About the justifying versus centering. I always find justified text easier to read than centered. Always (apart, perhaps from poetry.) Your blog isn't as tough to read on that account as some because your line length is shorter but I do preferred justified. (I won't leave though if you go back to centered! I have left some that do that because they were too difficult to track from line to line.) As for photos -- you can continue to do them centered -- it draws better focus to them. (I say that because I center my photos, justify my type flush left!). BUT, if you WANT them flush as well, at the tool bar on the top of your set-up page (where the bold, italic, etc. is) there is an icon to center or left. Just click on the photo you want to the left and it will "fade out", then click on the drop down menu and pick how you want it, left, right or center.

Jeanie said...

PS -- I meant left align, not justify (which would be even edges on both sides! It's too early.

Rosie said...

I don't have any preference either for the centreing and hadn't noticed before you mentined it, but I guess some people find things more difficult than others for various reasons. You seem to be getting through your downsizing relatively well and you seem to be quite organised. I did our downsizing in 3 months when we sold and it was very exhausting but once done it is such a good feeling.