Monday, December 18, 2023

December 18, 2023 Monday--5am

 Good morning!

Another good, productive week!  (Do you hear me knocking emphatically on wood--lol!)  Been getting Christmas cards but I have never seen ones like this one I got from Janie, have you?  Like an accordion card.  Really pretty!  

I even got a Christmas card made from a real hand-painted piece of artwork, too, from Linda.  She makes a different painting every year for over 30 years, I believe, and then gets her Christmas cards made with copies of the original painting.  
Christmas cards are not dead yet!  Long live snail mail!  Thank you for each and every one I joyfully discover in my mailbox. :)

Monday I colored another birthday card just so I knew I would be covered through the first half of January.  That way I knew I was covered for some 2024 birthday cards for a while so I could work on the pantry without stress.  ;)

Tuesday Keanna came to clean.  She said for insurance reasons she was not allowed to climb up on a stepstool with more than two steps.  So she handed me down what she could reach...which was most of it.

I worked on clearing away and wiping down as much as I could on the table and countertop.
It was still cold enough that we had snow on the patio for a couple of days.
When Dagan dropped off Costco groceries later Tuesday evening he used the taller stool and got down the rest of the really high stuff for me.

Then I had all the lower shelves and wall racks to work on after that.  (Still working on them.)

Wednesday I did laundry, made soup in the crock pot again, and ran the dishwasher a couple of times.  Allie just wanted me to sit down so she could snuggle up on the chair with me--lol!
I got started on the jars.  I had discovered the colorful plastic jar lids a while back on Amazon and it was time to switch the jars over to their new pretty lids.  I started on the wall wire shelves where I keep the majority of them.
Even some of my rice on the bottom shelf got their new lids.
I am parting with boxes of jars!  Already had sent at least one big one (might have been two) off for donations many months ago.
Let's just say I have a lot of jars and I do love my jars.  Been using them for storage since I left home and got bugs in boxes in my cupboard in the second place I rented.  It was jars and Tupperware for me after that--lol!  Most of the Tupperware went by the wayside after a few decades, but the jars remained.

That stack to the left are the bins for my new studio wall unit for the new place.  They just never got moved to the garage.  Next to that is another box of donations topped by my old blue speckled roasting pan.
I am slowly saying farewell to so many things that have been with me for decades.  The jars, though...seem to be harder.  I spent days running jars through the dishwasher and sorting and deciding which ones to keep and which ones to let go of.  I'm mainly keeping a lot of the really old ones and some newer practical ones for storing coffees.  

Allie knew I would work for a while and then rest for a while.  Baby steps.  She'd wait for me sometimes by my chair--lol!  If she didn't give up on me and head for bedroom table crash-time bed...
...or go snooze under her spa lamp--lol!
Thursday Leah picked Liam up from school for a dentist appointment.  It was the day all the kids in his class were making gingerbread houses.  They sent his home with him, though, so he worked on it that night.
He was very proud of it and did quite a good job.  Gramma got sent pictures.
Friday I did laundry again to get to the bath towels and such.  (It is so nice to be able to do the laundry and get it all put away the same day...I know I have said that before but it is those little things I am soooo grateful for...even if I don't do more than one load a day--lol!)  

I swept the patio.  It wasn't a windy day for once so I could put out another scoop of mealworms from this big bag I got with the bird seed from Fleet Farm.  They blow away easily and I wanted to double check because it didn't look like the birds had been eating them--at all!  Highly unusual.  A different brand, extra stinky, and the bag was open when Dagan picked up the order, he said.  No, I wasn't mistaken.  They won't touch them. :(

Saturday I kind of took the day off.  Made some rice, finished off cleaning all the jars, but didn't do too much else on the pantry.

Sunday Leah came over.  She needed to make some gift certificate envelopes for the boys' teachers.  We had talked about it early in the week and I decided to order a plain die from Scrapbook.com.
Also--I have had this grip mat or sticky mat in my cart for months...so I made an order and they arrived by Friday!  Perfect!
Leah came over in the afternoon to work on her four envelopes.  She even cut my two I wanted for Ian and Liam's gift cards (toward a game) for Christmas.  I asked what their favorite colors were at the moment.  Ian's is purple and Liam's is yellow.  (That could change before Christmas--lol!)
Anyways, Leah was die cutting away--snowflakes for the fronts of the teacher's envelopes and some other parts for some cards she needs for the future--birthdays.  So now she has her own red tray for ongoing projects waiting for her in the studio. :)

Then I had her help me with the wire wall racks.  I couldn't get all the rest of the jars up there because the racks were too close together--especially on the left side.  TaDa!  This is really purged for me!!
She was asking me what I was going to use all the empty ones for.  I don't know yet--lol!  But I have always loved my jars.  I loved looking at them before and now with their new colorful lids they make me as happy as when I gaze upon my colorful wall shelves in the studio.  You can easily see the old blue jars.  I also have old Ball, Mason, and Atlas jars.  I suppose you'd have to be a jar person to understand the joy that wall gives me--lol! ;)  

But now that I've been basically on Keto for several years--I don't need all those boxes of jars I have donated and am donating.  I no longer have flours, pastas, lentils, beans, and all the rest to store.  The only thing I have left is all the various rice.  I had to decide if I was actually going to get rid of the rice, too.  When my good cooker died, the cheapie rice cooker replacement used to burn my rice on the bottom of the pan so I had tossed it.  This was a big decision...but I decided to not toss the rice out.  I'll keep rice in my life for now.

I did some research to find an affordable rice cooker early in the week.  America's Test Kitchen and the like.  There were some fancy ones for closer to $200--uffda!  But the highest rated lower cost one was this Aroma for $39.99.  My Black and Decker that drove me crazy was $29.99.
I made rice yesterday and it worked like a charm!  Whoohoo!  So far so good.  I just have to make sure I don't eat a lot of it.  Really full of carbs...but so good!  Rice is staying with me.  At least until I have used up all that rice in the pantry.  Then I can decide if I want to buy more rice--lol! 

Oh, and Leah is returning the big bag of mealworms to Fleet Farm for me.  Bless her!  :) 

After everything had pretty much melted outside, we had a little bit of snow again.  Can't remember if that was Thursday or Friday during the night.
Oh, also--since my square glass folding table was more or less confiscated by the new humidifier...because the instructions said it had to be two feet off the ground on a flat surface...and I found I was using that folding table almost every day...I ordered another one.  It has ended up holding the birthday cards for me--maybe until I'm done in the pantry.
The humidifier.  Well, since it heats up the water and has a mist spraying out the top--it is yet another humidifier that is leaving white dust on stuff.  Not as badly as the sonic one I bought once that I had to return, but it will be annoying.  At least it is just for this winter.  Dagan and Leah have a humidifier built into their HVAC system, I believe.  Nice!

Can you see the accumulating white stuff on the side of the new file cabinet? 
Overnight it covered this wastebasket liner.  It is definitely attracted to certain types of metal and plastic.  Do any of you have humidifier dust accumulate at your place?
I forgot to show you the photos that came with the McFamily Christmas card this year. 
Leah wanted to order new Christmas stockings this year and she asked if I would like one for myself, too.  They're getting one for Blink so Allie will get one, too!  We'll have all of us for next year!  Sweet!

I didn't tell her, but I've never had a Christmas stocking.  We never did that at my house growing up.  No Christmas morning routine.  On Christmas Eve Day we used to drive from Fridley to Cokato (Minnesota) to spend the day with my dad's parents...where we usually got new pajamas. After an early dinner we left for home.  That night we opened presents and us kids stayed up as late as we could playing with new toys.  Christmas Day we all slept in.  Just a quiet day is all I remember.  Christmas Eve was the big day at our house growing up.  Was only different the years Grandma and Grandpa had moved to Denver, Colorado and we drove over there to stay over Christmas.  But I still do not remember that we had stockings there, either.

Now I will have a stocking that says Gramma on it.  I need to wrap my head around that--lol!

Funny.  I made sure Dagan had one, though, and it got filled with small toys and treats on Christmas morning.  One year I forgot!  Dagan was about eight.  He woke up, was shocked his stocking was flat and empty, so began to quietly search and search and search throughout the entire apartment to find where I had hidden the stocking stuffers.  He just could not find them.  Finally he gingerly woke me up--more concerned that Santa might actually be real than anything else--ROFL!  I said--"Oh no!  I'm so sorry!  I fell asleep and forgot!"  "I knew it!  I knew it!"  He was hopping about--absolutely delighted to find out for sure it was me and not Santa.  (I had hidden them inside a crock pot in the back of a kitchen cupboard.)  We laughed and laughed that Christmas Day about his empty stocking.  We still laugh about it to this day if the subject comes up.

Isn't it funny how we clearly remember the Christmas morning the stocking was empty and barely remember all the other mornings when it was full.  Isn't that how it goes--lol!  I just remember his favorite toy was to get a matchbox car in his stocking.  I always tried to get him more than one if I could.  We always had good times together.

Well, when I next talk to you it will be Christmas Day!!  I hope you have a wonderful time with friends and or family.  Some of you will be like me...on your own over the holidays.  I have been for many years.  

That will be changing when I move, too, to some extent.  McFamily goes every other year to spend Christmas with Dagan's Dad's side of the family.  So they won't be home this year regardless.  I don't know exactly how things will go when I live there...for holidays and birthdays...with my ex and his wife being there.  It will be quite interesting and uncomfortable, I'm sure.  At least at first.  Maybe it will get better over time?  One can hope, right?  

But for this year--same as usual.  A me and the cat Christmas.  The cat has changed over the years.  This year it is Me and Allie.  But I will watch It's a Wonderful Life and A Christmas Story over Christmas Eve and Christmas Day...as I have done for decades.  Only difference these days is I don't have to find my VHS copies or my DVDs...they are both on streaming now.  Nice!  It's just such a happy time for me.  A time for love and kindness--peace and joy--all the best we humans can be, I pray for. :)

I am curious...do you open presents on Christmas Eve or Christmas Day or both?  Or do you have none to actually open?  I've had many Christmases as an adult without any presents to open on Christmas Eve.  But I was just as happy and love the season just as much.  (Harder without snow, though--so I hope we get some soon!)  To those of you who celebrate it--Merry Christmas! :)

15 comments:

David M. Gascoigne, said...

I am sure that Amazon is very happy to have you as a customer! You do buy a lot of stuff.

jinxxxygirl said...

When my daughter was little we opened one present on Christmas Eve and the rest Christmas morning... Yes stockings, every year.. We lived many years in Tx so every Christmas morning we had our Christmas present opening at home then headed 50 miles South and spent the day at Hubby's parents... funny something i resented a little at the time( not being able to spend Christmas at home..) but now i would give my right arm to do that again.... (both his parents have passed)... Now hubby and i usually cannot wait until Christmas Eve , much less Christmas day to give each other our presents... we're terrible about that.. lol Our Grandchildren are moving to TX... here in the same town so our lives are about to change... for the better i think.. Our life has been a little too quiet.. some adjusting yes.. but definitely a good thing.. Thank you so much for your Christmas card Rita! I LOVED It.. Hope you got yours from me ~ So far only 3 cards this year... Hugs! deb

DJan said...

It's been a long time since I've had presents to unwrap. Hubby and I don't do that, and I don't miss it at all. It makes a huge difference when you don't have any kids around. You have certainly been getting better, and making lots of progress with your move.

Janie Junebug said...

Good Monday Morning! We celebrated on Christmas Eve! We had stockings and I know they were hanging up sometimes, but we never had gifts in them. I'm not sure if our names were on them. One year Mother hung them up in the basement family room and didn't take them down. We had some company and the family's little boy said over and over "their Christmas stockings are up" (it was summer), and his mom kept shushing him and saying, "maybe they like it that way." So embarrassing. With my own children, we opened most gifts on Christmas Eve and they had gifts in their stockings on Christmas Day. My kids were pretty young when they figured out that Santa didn't exist. That was fine with me. No need to pretend. You've done so much on the pantry. McFamily's Christmas card photos are cute. The gingerbread house is great. I received your lovely Christmas card. Thank you. I have to get ready to work today.

Love,
Janie

Divers and Sundry said...

We don't send cards anymore and only get a couple. We do use the post office for sending packages. We do our stockings on St. Nicholas Day. We do Christmas presents on Christmas morning. I imagine you'll get more comfortable with the new routine as time goes on. Your sweet family seems motivated to make it work 👍

Jo-Anne's Ramblings said...

Thanks for the wonderful photos of your grandsons enjoying themselves, I love receiving Christmas cards seeing them hanging on my wall makes me happy. My Christmas spirit is still alive just not overflowing

Deb J. in Utah said...

Hi Rita. You have been very productive this week. It was fun to read your Christmas memories. When I was little we always opened presents Christmas morning, and so did Charly so we did the same with our kids. They could open one gift on Christmas Eve. We still do that. My children always had Christmas socks, but we haven't been doing Christmas socks since the kids grew up. I did them for the grands for a few years, but not any more. It's always interesting the little differences in how families celebrate Christmas. I hope you have a wonderful Christmas with McFamily and make lots of new memories.

Bonnie said...

How wonderful to read your happy, newsy post! My goodness, how Ian and Liam have grown! Seeing them made me realize how long I've been away from blogs. It is so exciting to read about your coming move!

We have always celebrated Christmas on Christmas Day. I filled stockings for all the kids(including the grown ones) when we celebrated Christmas at our home as we always did in the past. A couple of years ago we started celebrating at my son's house so now they do the stockings there.

I love your jar collection! I love jars too!

Enjoy your week!


Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Storage jars and containers are the best, I agree Rita. After having a similar problem with insects in the grain and nuts, all rice and flour products in our pantry are stored in non-paper now. Also, easier to see what's inside and when a refill is needed. Glad the new rice cooker worked out well as I always have to carefully monitor cooking it on the stove so as not to stick to the pot, which it so easily does.

Yes, to holiday snail mail cards as I too have been enjoying ones we've received and they are displayed on a wall, as always. I can recall my mother would open them and leave them in a pile but it's always nice for us o see them during the holidays. To date, I've noticed far less have been received then sent so may re-think 2024's mailings as postage will be on the increase again in Jan. to 68 cents for 1st class...Yikes!

Christmas stockings were never done in my home growing up, but we always had a live tree until I was older, not sure when that stopped. Presents were opened on Christmas morning. Now, we exchange memories in the form of adventures and experiences and not physical gifts.However, there are the occasional surprises. We are also spending Christmas at home and like yourself will be watching movies from our holiday collection including versions of Scrooge and the Santa Claus trilogy.

Merry Christmas to you and Allie from Patrick and myself.

Jeanie said...

A wonderful post, Rita. And you are so busy! I loved hearing the stocking story and I'm so glad you will have your own for the first time! That will be wonderful. We opened presents on Christmas morning, for the most part, though for a few years when my mom's sister and family came to town to celebrate, we opened on Christmas Eve. Now that we're with the kids on Christmas day, we'll open family things there and Rick and I will do our own celebration, either on Christmas afternoon after we get home or maybe even Boxing day.

It used to be tricky with Rick and his ex-wife (though we both loved her husband). It has taken a lot of time but it's fine now when we have activities together -- like graduations, grand birthdays, etc. You may even find you like her. It can happen. And you're all grown ups, so you'll figure a way to make it work.

Merriest to you!

Jim and Barb's Adventures said...

I absolutely love the Christmas cards you make and receive. What a special thing to look forward to each year! I laughed at your flat stocking story. When the kids were younger, Barb used to be in charge to filling everyone's stocking. Even her own. One year, I surprised her by filling hers with gifts and goodies. The next year I didn't. She came out to see a flat stocking. We still laugh about it!

Far Side of Fifty said...

We open packages on Christmas Day. We had Christmas with the GRands already so they can be free to do their own things, we are just happy to see them anytime around Christmas. When I was growing up My Mother insisted on Christmas Eve and she would invite half the neighborhood...so never any just family time growing up. Then Christmas day we went to Church and to my grandparents. It was all real social...and never real personal. Now we do personal:)

DVArtist said...

Wow you have been busy. I love, love, love, the jars with the colorful lids. I wish I lived closer to you. I would take the jars and other things your are giving away. Your house looks fabulous. The cards are beautiful. I don't celebrate Christmas but I do appreciate the cards and lights on houses. The kids looks so happy, especially with the gingerbread house. Well done. Wishing you continued health and energy. Hugs N.

DVArtist said...

Oh I also wanted to mention that I have had my rice cooker for 40 years. Don't know what I would do without it. Enjoy yours.

DVArtist said...

Hi Rita, stopping by to wish you a very Happy Christmas.