Monday, July 01, 2019

7-1-2019 Monday-1:30pm

Well, the saga continues and has turned into a medical mystery.  I will write a little at a time and eventually post today to fill you in.  :)
Leah came over Monday night.  She wasn't happy I hadn't let them know how bad I had gotten--unable to even make myself coffee or toast.  Just getting to the bathroom and back was about it for me for days. I had good intentions about calling Leah--managed to take a shower but afterwards was too exhausted and hurtin' to even think about going anywhere.   Could barely walk even with the walker.  Just plain too miserable to care, to be honest.  You can get that way sometimes when the pain is all-encompassing. 
Anyways, Leah had read that carbs were bad for inflammation and so she took over cooking for me.  I have read that about carbs, too, so was just grateful to let her and Dagan take over.  I hadn't even been able to scoop Annie's cat box for days.  They took care of everything all week.  What a relief!  
Why do we hate to ask for help?  
At least I do.
But I cannot even express my gratitude.
On Tuesday Dagan took off early from work so that Leah could take his car (and no kids) to bring me to the walk-in clinic again that afternoon.  I slowly hobble-hopped with the walker to the challenge of actually getting into the car when I couldn't bend my knee and every movement was painful.  Success!  Whew!  I never would have made it into Leah's new SUV!
That doctor put me on a strong antibiotic (also got infection in a couple of fingers during this time, too?), they took a lot of blood in the lab, and sent me over to the hospital for an ultrasound on my leg to make sure I didn't have a blood clot.  If I had a blood clot--into the hospital with me.
No blood clot.  (Have something called a Baker's Cyst behind my knee but that is of no concern, apparently.)  He didn't know if it was gout or infected joints.  Referred me to the osteopathic doctor the next day and I got to go home and collapse.  But told me that if the osteo dr found infected joints I'd be put into the hospital. 
It's kind of a blur--so much pain, so exhausted.  Leah made me food, brought me water, checked on Annie's needs...and then on Wednesday...we kind of did the whole thing all over again.
Leah came to get me in Dagan's car and we went to the osteopathic walk-in clinic at the hospital.  Dr. Ryan didn't think it was gout or infected joints...wasn't sure what this odd combination was, but seems determined to try to figure it out.  First of all he drained fluid from my knee in the office.  Leah knows I can't lie flat on my back so she jumped up on the table so I could lean back on her side.  (Makes me mist up just telling you that.)  He was fine with that.
He said that he would be able to tell by the look of the fluid if it was infected.  If not, he could give me a steroid shot in the knee.  Looked good--so I got the shot.  And having a good cup of fluid drained off my knee--well, I could partially bend my knee!  And the pain level dropped some right away.  Whew!
But--still don't know what it is.  
No diagnosis.
Dr. Ryan sent me to the lab there to get a lot more blood drawn for another series of tests (sent some to Mayo Clinic).  He is on vacation this week.  I go back to see him on July 10th.  He hopes all the test results will be back by then.  (Also referred me to the new rheumatologist already because of some questionable test results, I believe--appt Oct 2nd--yes hard to get in.)  He put me on steroids for six days and I got to go home again.  Whew!
For a couple of weeks now I have been cat napping around the clock.  The next two times I slept I woke up drenched in sweat!  Never had anything like that--not even with menopause--LOL!  Was like the fluids were trying to escape from the steroids or something--ROFL!  I was clammy all the time.  Still clammy off and on and sweaty when I sleep but gradually have transitioned to just waking up feeling kind of damp behind your neck, instead of dripping wet--LOL!  But I haven't been running a fever.  ??
The swelling has been going down.  I am right now getting close to being back to about as bad as I was when I went in to the walk-in clinic the very first time.
Anyways, Thursday Dagan came over to cook for me, empty the Litter Genie, take out the trash, and keep me company for a while.  I could hobble about without the walker again, but can't be up for long.  Thrilled to see improvements!!
Friday morning they had ANOTHER apartment inspection.  They were just here the Wednesday before!  This time it was for the City of Fargo, they said.  Again--had to let themselves in with the pass key and lock up when they left and I was here in my chair.  I had asked her on the phone when I got the notice why they had to come again when I am so sick and it was just 4-5 random apartments?  Different inspection--won't take but five minutes, she says.  (Makes me wonder if the investment owners are thinking of selling the complex?)  Anyways, they seemed sheepish and weren't here five minutes.  Geez!
Friday I was able to nuke food Dagan and Leah had made for me and was okay on my own.  Kind of back to semi-functional.  :)
Saturday McFamily planned to come over for a quick visit so that Ian could open his birthday presents from me.  A crazy storm blew through early in the afternoon.

After Liam had a nap they popped over.
Gramma was in her chair, but got a few hugs from Ian before they left.
They took pictures and videos for me--tada!
Ian got a big book about feelings.

Then he was stunned into silence by the set of PJMasks figurines--LOL!
Liam was pretty interested in what was going on, too, of course.
Couple videos:

It was a quick visit, but a happy one.  :)
Leah is coming by tonight.  
I am ready for another nap.
Really hoping they can track down what this mysterious illness plaguing me actually is and that they can do something about it.  I have medication today and tomorrow and then am crossing my fingers I will still continue to improve.  Dr. Ryan is testing for things they did years ago when I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia--so he seems to be looking under all the stones--LOL!  I'll try to post next week.  Thanks for all the well wishes and good thoughts.  :) :)
"Set wide the window.
Let me drink the day."
Edith Wharton


Rita said...

Comment to get comments. :)

jinxxxygirl said...

So worried about you Rita but so glad you have someone to help you. Two someones! I'm not sure if i ever thanked you for the birthday card. Its lovely and even more lovely because i know you made it. Medical mysteries going on here too with hubby.. Heart cath on Friday... send good thoughts.. many good thoughts are headed your way too.. Hugs! deb

DJan said...

I didn't think it was gout, but I sure do wonder what the heck it is, Rita. You seem to be in good hands with the doctor, and with the help of McFamily, I'm hoping that it will all be a memory before long. Thinking of you and sending you all kinds of healing love. :-)

Bonnie said...

I am sorry to hear you are still sick but so glad you have seen a doctor that seems determined to get to the bottom of this. Maybe with all those blood tests and specialists they will figure this out for you! It is wonderful how much your family has been helping you out! I'm keeping you in my thoughts and sending healing vibes.

Janie Junebug said...

Protein. You should probably go heavy on the protein. I learned in nursing assistant class that the most important thing for the patients to eat is protein because it aids in healing tissue damage. I hope it helps with infections, too. The children are beautiful.


Jon said...

It's good to see you posting again, Rita - but it's upsetting to know that you're going through such agony. Thank goodness there's no blood clot or gout. And I'm so glad that the family is taking such good care of you. Hang in there and keep us updated.

Joyce F said...

Glad you were able to post an update on what has been going on with you health wise. I do hope they come up with answers and remedies for you soon! Loved the videos of Ian (and Liam sneaking in; don't get to see too many pictures of him!) Hang in there!

TammyVitale said...

Rita - so sorry to hear all of this. You are so lucky to have such a loving family close enough to help you. I know when I was going through the last two years with my husband that having just moved 6 minutes from daughter turned out to be a life saver. I am hoping that the meds will help you heal and they will find and cure the cause. If you catnap all the time your body must want it. I'm in great favor (I just woke up from way more than a catnap and I'm not even sick). Sending hugs and healing vibes.

Joy@aVintageGreen said...

Hi Rita - hope each day has less pain and that the various tests help your Doctor and the other Doctor's to come solve the 'why' of the pains and that your current medications continue to lessen the pain. Lovely to see both Ian and Liam in the photos Leah shared. Your family are the best.
Hugs and Love

Jo-Anne's Ramblings said...

I also have a Baker's Cyst, it doesn't bother me.
Leah is a Godsend, she sounds amazing
Lastly the clips are awesome

Divers and Sundry said...

I am so sorry to gear of all your trials. What a blessing to have willing relatives :) I hope that put together a treatment routine that works after they get the diagnosis figured out. How frustrating this all must be! I appreciate hearing your updates and hope you get better news to share soon.

Far Side of Fifty said...

So glad the kids helped you out, sure hope they get to the bottom of all this. Sending good thoughts your way:)

Intense Guy said...

So happy to see you enjoying Ian's big number 5!!

Loving family is a blessing.

I hope the mystery illness is cured and soon. Hugs.

Lady Fi said...

I really really hope they can sort this out for you and soon! So sorry to hear you are going through this.

Intense Guy said...

I hope you are continuing to improve. Hugs.

Friko said...

Poor Rita, in pain all the time and not able to move under your own steam. How awful for you. I hope the doctors will find out what ails you and have a magic potion to make it all better. Great that you have a tremendously kind and helpful family.
Good luck.

Diana said...

Hi, Rita! I just found your blog by way of Far Side of Fifty's blog. I have made a prayer list of things to pray about for you... my hubby and I will be lifting you up to the Lord on all of this. My hubby has lived with chronic pain for many years and has multiple medical issues (as do I), so we understand some of what you are going through. I've added you to my blog list and will be coming back to keep visiting you. Hugs and blessings to you! ♥

Harvest Moon by Hand said...

Happy to hear the doctor was able to get some of the fluid drained from your knee and you felt relief and less pain. I'm hoping that they find the answer to what's causing all your pain. That was quite the storm that you had on June 29th. It was clear here that day - just really hot and humid. By the 30th, the storm you got had moved our way. I can't believe that Ian is already 5 years old! Time goes by way too quickly!