Monday, January 10, 2022

January 10, 2022 Monday--12:30pm

 Good afternoon!

Was a good week...not as much energy as last week but ups and downs are to be expected, I guess.

Monday
At dusk I caught a picture of the cottontail (or one of them?) who come by to eat up leftovers during the night.  I rarely see the rabbits but they leave the little round evidence of their visits--LOL!
I peeked out in the dark one night and saw a jackrabbit!  I haven't actually seen one for such a long time I wasn't sure they came around this way anymore.  You forget how huge they are--LOL!

Tuesday
Katie came to clean and the blizzard very politely held off until she was leaving in the early evening.  I did manage to sort and put away all the clean underwear, socks, and towels from in the bedroom before she arrived.  

Wednesday
After the blizzard I had snow to the top of my planter boxes.

You could see where the partridges had dug some snow nests on my patio.
Annie wasn't thrilled that the snow comes up so high on the patio door.  Makes it harder for her to watch the Critter Cafe visitors--LOL!
All week long it has been really cold and there are a lot of hungry birds out there.
We had nearly constant company all day long.

Thursday
I was so tired that I was asleep by 7:30pm and slept till 6am!  Yup--the energy comes and goes...but that's okay.  On the whole I am gradually doing better and better, I think.  :)

Friday
Infusion day.  This time we had a morning appointment because no afternoon appointments were available three weeks ago.  They were very busy and running way behind.  Turned out Dr. Ferrari was out due to Covid...and I'm sure others were, too.  I had a lady doctor who I don't think was even an oncologist--filling in.  Amazingly we got out about the time we would have so that was good.

Poor Leah had to listen to my toilet seat story several times--LOL!  I forgot to tell it to you.  Last time after my infusion and vaccine when I slept for two days and then had diarrhea for two days...well, I had such a shock!  Must have been the third day after or so...I went to sit down on the toilet and almost leapt to my feet!  I could suddenly feel the toilet seat--all hard and cold--and thought it was wet or something.  I didn't realize how numb I have been until I could feel the toilet seat!  Wow!

Not sure if it was the Big I infusion, the Covid vaccine dose, or a combination of the two--but it was quite a shock.  Has stayed the same since then, too.  I can feel like half the toilet seat!  Who ever thought that would be a wonderful thing?  LOL!  I've basically been numb, tingly, and mostly painful to the touch from my waist to my ankles--for months.  So this was an exciting new development that I take as a very positive sign that my nerves are regenerating.  :) :)  

And--yes--I am the kind of person who was excited to share the toilet seat news with her clinic caregivers...always have been actually.  Can you imagine what I might be like if I ever get dementia and have no restraint?  LOL!  Might not be that much different when I think about it--ROFL!

We asked if this time they could let them know at the desk that we can book a couple of appointments at once--yes!  If it's not in the computer they can't book ahead, I guess.  So this time we have appointments with Dr. McCune--afternoons!--in 3 weeks and in 6 weeks--tada!  Nice!  That is what we need with Dagan working half days on Fridays.  What a relief.

Saturday
I did laundry.  Actually got all the underwear, socks, and towels all put away for the first time on the day I did the wash!!  The rest got hung and draped about, as per the current usual.  Hopefully that will change pretty soon.   My OCD side will be very happy when I can get back to my normal way of doing things.  

Sunday
I made some bean and veggie chicken soup.  Feels like maybe a little energy has been coming back again.  I'm used to the spoon roller coaster ride anyways, so I am good with it.  At first I was disappointed.  Having three days in a row I got a lot done for the first time in forever--and then to have all that energy just drain away--kind of bummed me out.  Getting a taste of normalcy, you know?  But I had a talk with myself--and remembered the card I drew for 2022.  When I stay in the present moment with gratitude I am always okay.  :)  And I have to remember the bigger picture.  I am way way better than I was...and continue to see improvements over time.  Patience.  I am still getting things done this week I wouldn't have even a couple weeks ago.  I just get too excited, you know?  Been such a long time.

Anyways, this morning--what a delight.  One covey of partridges is spending the night on my patio.  Been a couple of years since we've had enough snow for that to happen.  It warms my heart to think they feel safe enough to stay close by. 
 
Even in the daytime they often settle in close by.
I know it's only because it is too friggin' cold for people to be walking on the sidewalk pathway scaring them away regularly...but I still love it.
I just took this pic--a couple hours later.  They haven't moved far at all.  Basking in the sunlight even if it is only -3F.

Oh, and the 2022 Wanderlust classes began on Friday!  I am actually hopeful that I will be able to participate somewhere along the line this year.  I am excited to see that they are using a new format for 2022.  They are picking different supplies or mediums every seven weeks.  So the first 7 weeks we will have teachers using gel mediums and gesso.  I like the sticking with a theme for a while and seeing how all the different teachers use these products in different ways and with various other supplies.  We'll be doing themes with watercolors, acrylics, etc.  Now, whether I can manage to try doing some art this year or not I know I will be awaiting my Friday email every week and glued to the videos.  :)   

I did finally get my banking done but I never got to FP tray #4 or writing my thank you cards.  They are on my list for this week again.  ;)

I hope everyone is doing well and staying healthy.  They are predicting 33F tomorrow!  First time above freezing in a long time.  I hope it doesn't melt too much of the snow or leave a crusty ice layer over the snow--for the partridges sake.  It should melt some of the ice off the sidewalks, parking lots, and side streets though. 

Till next week--take care and stay safe!  :) :)  

15 comments:

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

You really have been having better days, Rita, and thanks for these updates. You're getting all the snow we are not here in Nashua. I would hardly call the 6 inches here on Friday much at all compared to your blizzard and freezing temps. We are having single digit temps this week. Nice to see the critters staying close by and they obviously know where to find food and shelter. Hope the feeling better days contnue and glad you are getting some energy back, my friend.

CrystalChick said...

We've had a bit of snow and colder temps, but nothing like what you have! I think tonight it's to be a low of 18F, coldest it's been here so far this winter, and maybe will get to mid-20's tomorrow.
The partridges hanging around is really neat.
Very glad you're doing better and seeing improvements!

Far Side of Fifty said...

Good to hear that you are doing better! I am looking forward to the warm spell!!

Deb J. in Utah said...

Hi Rita. So glad you are feeling better - I know that you are glad too! You got a lot of snow. Our snow is almost all gone now and none in the forecast for at least the next week or so. So glad you are feeling good enough to participate in the Wanderlust classes. I know you will enjoy that. Have a wonderful week, my friend! Great, upbeat post. :-)

Anvilcloud said...

Well, I shall consider that mostly positive and wish you another one.

Juli said...

We don't ever get that cold consistently, I don't know how you can handle it! It will be -14 here with the wind chill, but that's just the one day. I can do one day. (right?)

We finally got snow the other day. Boston got 8-12 inches or so, we ended up with maybe 3? All disappeared though yesterday with a 50 degree high. I can't remember the weather fluxing like this for a long time.

I love that the birds nest in your snow. Like Nat Geographic in your window all year long.

DJan said...

What a good week! And it sounds like you are mostly better, even if you do run out of spoons now and then. The partridges do look cozy in their little burrows. I am so happy to hear such good news, Rita. Maybe it's the Medicine Buddha's effect! :-)

Bonnie said...

I am so happy to hear there have been better days for you. One day at a time will get you there. What a busy Critter Café you have had recently! Maybe Annie could use a stool or something so she can see the birds over the snow. Enjoy those Wanderlust videos!

Divers and Sundry said...

The wildlife you get adds interest beyond bird-watching! Wow! and so much snow!

I'm glad you're responding well, which is what I assume is behind your increased feeling of the toilet seat. It's best to share everything with your medical team and let them sort it out. Soup sounds like a great plan for this cold weather.

I trust your coming week will bring you energy and joy :)

Jo-Anne's Ramblings said...

Your days seem to be getting better and better.................
Mine are not.................

Serena Lewis said...

It sounds like you had another good week, Rita. All positive signs.

OH dear, poor Annie not being able to watch the critters. Does she still enjoy the YouTube TV critters or did she bore of them?

Too funny about the toilet seat. I'm sure it would have felt odd after being numb for a time. I hate when I get the numbness in my thighs from my back condition....feels so weird.

I'm so happy that you are getting back to a taste of normality. Remember to rest though and not push yourself too hard.

Love and hugs xo

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

You got SNOW!! Lots of snow. Drifts, too, apparently. Poor Annie can't see out. Nice you are getting back to normal and you have feeling in your lower extremities again. I am so hppy to read things are starting to look up for you, too.

Rajani Rehana said...

Beautiful post. Happy new year ��

Jenny Woolf said...

You know what, I think Annie needs a nice cosy little stool by the door for when the snow piles up.... with a rug to snuggle up in..... I was suprised to see how the jackrabbit. I have never seen one in real life and I guess I was assuming from the photos that they were similar size to normal tiny bunnies. It is a handsome creature.

Harvest Moon by Hand said...

What a great week! So many birds and wildlife at your feeders. They are depending on and clearly feel safe at your home. That's such a joy to see all the birds gathering at feeders...or at least I feel like it is!

Your bean and veggie chicken soup sounds delicious! Perfect for a cold day.

I'm so happy that the sensation in the lower half of your body is returning. That sounds like a very positive sign!