Monday, June 13, 2022

June 13, 2022 Monday--2pm

Good afternoon!

There's a bumper crop of cottontails this year--LOL!  One little baby has just about taken up residence here.

Such a little cutie.  Too small to be the petunia-eating culprit...but will grow up into one.

We have had some darker, overcast days...
...and some sunnier ones.  But little rain.
Been a quiet week filled with things like taking trash out to the dumpster, watering out on the patio every other day, vacuuming up kitty litter Annie drags all over the place, writing letters, doing laundry, and cooking (hotdish, soup, and made rice).  Watched a couple of DVDs (final season of Inspector Lewis) and two more DVDs came in the mail today.  Had my video call with the boys over dinner on Wednesday.  I'm just so happy I can do all those things.  :) 

Leah cancelled on our Thursday night video call--too tired and wanting to go to bed early.  They are really busy this summer.  Besides home schooling--Ian has tennis lessons and golf lessons, they are off to the park playgrounds quite often, trips to the zoo (I gave them a 2022 family pass for Christmas last year), visiting, picnics, visitors, etc.  Nice that they are able to do more things this year, but the heat and humidity are draining, for sure.  Makes me so happy, though!  Got to do more while you can these days.  

Watched the hearing a day late and will watch the one today sometime later, too, I imagine...or parts of it.  Had that weird arc of light in my eye again briefly on Friday.  If it happens again I will probably have to go in to see my eyedoctor.  Macular puckers could be up to some nonsense.  Had a few pajama days.  Just one of those weeks that has flown by.  

Annie is still jumping up on my chair on her own.  This is what I see--her little head peeking over the footrest.  She rocks back and forth a couple times and then has made it every time so far.  Makes me so very happy.  Makes her happy, too.  (We all hate to lose our independence, don't we?)
Saw a half grown cottontail out there, too.  That one is probably big enough to nibble on my flowers.
You know there are parent-sized, full grown ones about, too.  LOL!

It turned really hot--for up here anyways.  Been in the 80s and near 90 for days with like 75% humidity.  Had to close up and turn on the AC.
When I am out to water...well, it looks like someone has mowed a good-sized patch of grass in front of the planters.  
Well, guess who?
That baby bunny (growing fast) parks itself there to chew on the grass.  As you can see, it sprawls out in the heat on its belly and grazes--LOL!  Has made itself quite to home.  Doesn't even always hop away anymore when people walk down the sidewalk.
You'll have to pardon my rain splattered patio doors.  I am hoping it is nice out tomorrow afternoon when Katie comes and that maybe she can clean the glass for me.

I water out there about every other day.  On the days I don't I usually put clean water in the bird dish using a plastic gallon jug (which I also set out to use for watering the inside plants).  When I refilled it one day it had overflowed so I set the wet jug on the rug in the pantry to let it dry off before I stuck it behind the door.  Mistake.  Look who found it!
Annie is always so thirsty.  She has followed me into the bathroom every time--even in the middle of the night--just to climb in the shower and beg me to pour a little glass of water in there for her to lick up--for months and months.  It's our routine.  After I wash my hands I have to fill the little drinking cup and pour it on the side of the shower so she can lick off the water.

Well, now she is waiting and crying by the bathroom door as I wash my hands and wants me to go add water to the top of the water jug in the pantry!!  Good grief--what we do for our critters.  I'm sure she's convinced it tastes better than any other water.  Her actual water dish is right there just a few feet away--ROFL!  I don't know how much longer I will want to deal with the jug of water in the way in the pantry--LOL!  But--hey--she's old...and she trusts me to look out for her welfare...and Annie thinks this is important--LOL!  So--for a while longer, for sure.

Oh, BTW--the coleus I cut back that had frostbite...died.  Not a surprise.  The new ones battered by the storm are alive, but not growing much at all.  
Look about the same a week or so later.  Maybe filled out a tiny bit, but the leaves look all stunted.
Fingers crossed they bounce back.

The rest of them are doing okay.
The back coleus have flowered!  That usually doesn't happen till fall?
I think the rabbits have let up on the petunias finally.
But not one of the four red geraniums has had a flower?
They usually do really well for me.
The other blooming coleus.
I planted half the amount of flowers as last year but they are doing fairly well and filling out.  They were way too crowded last year.  I had gotten carried away by the new planter boxes--LOL!  The weather has been stressful (and damaging) for them but they are surviving.

One of these days McFamily will show up out there to put the boards under the planters.  They'll have to all come because it takes two people to tip/lift these big planters so we need Dagan.  I might be able to tip (not positive) but I know I can't lift with my bum arm and cranky back--LOL!  Leah says they're too heavy for me to tip probably.  Hopefully they won't need actual lifting, but if they do--we will definitely need two people.  The boys would come with, of course, but not be helping with this project. 

They're so busy--so whenever they can make it and work it in is fine with me.  :) :)

Anyways, that's the week from my little corner of the world.  Annie is sleeping on the floor near my chair.

I am going to heat up some soup and watch one of the DVDs that came today.  Both are movies this time.  2 Guns with Denzel Washington and Mark Wahlberg from 2013 (how did I miss this one?) and The Courier with Benedict Cumberbatch from 2021 (I'll watch anything with Benedict--same for Denzel).  Glad I have AC.  They predicted 80 and it is already 85.

I have Katie coming to clean tomorrow and it's infusion day on Friday.  Hope all goes well at the clinic again.  I do feel so very blessed.  My days are filled with gratitude and contentment.  Spread the love, people!  
Life is good!  :) :)

16 comments:

Divers and Sundry said...

Your patio flowers are lovely, and the bunnies must be fun to watch :) I was sad when I reached the end of the Lewis series. I'm watching the hearings live. I think it's important historically to get all the facts out there, but I don't expect Trump supporters to care. We're having heat more that 10 degrees hotter than you. High today: 98 so far with a heat index of 110. It's all about what we're used to, I think. I'm enjoying being out on the patio in it but am glad to have AC to come back inside to lol

jinxxxygirl said...

Rita i'am so so glad everything is right in your world at the moment! So glad you have no idea! Its HOT here... did i say Hot? .. i mean HOT! Geesh up over 100 every day for weeks now.. with a 20mph wind and no rain.. uuugh.. Whatever we are doing outside we better be done by 10 am and head inside.. So not an early morning person but i'am in Summer..

I hope you are picking the flower off your coleus... If you don't they tend to get leggy and go to seed.. Coleus are known for their leaves not their flowers ... just sayin'.. Sorry to hear your geraniums are not blooming.. I would ask if they are getting enough sun but you said you have had them before so i don't know... Do they need a feed.. Miraclelgro etc.. i usually buy the soil that has Miracle gro in it..

Well girl i better go.. Take care of you and Annie.. Hugs! deb

Deb J. in Utah said...

Hi Rita. I got a card and note from you while we were in California so I will be answering that soon. Glad you had a good week. Your planter boxes look good. I love your attitude of gratitude for life's simple pleasures. I hope that Friday's infusion goes off perfectly. See you again soon!

DJan said...

Those bunnies are cute! Your flowers do look good, and your coleus that are blooming look wonderful. Thanks for the Annie updates. She does look happy and content. :-)

My Tata's Cottage said...

You have been busy! It is nice just watching movies and staying cool as a cucumber. You have some great photos here. It is nice to see you. I sure miss talking with Iggy at Intense Guy. I have contacted Karl but do not hear from him. Very sad. I am wondering if he is not well enough to answer email. We have sent a few cards too and they were not returned so I suppose that is a good sign. We keep praying as he had been so kind finding some old photos of my dad back in the 1930's when he played semi pro baseball. It is sad not seeing so many wodnerfulother bloggers but life happenes. I know.
Good to see you here. Take care and stay cool. We have a heat wave too.

JoyM said...

Thanks for posting today Rita. Always a pleasure to visit. Hugs.
Joy

Far Side of Fifty said...

Pinch that flower off of the coleus and it will get more growth. Hope you have a good infusion on Friday! Some coleus are just funny and shrivel and die because you look at them! Cute petunia eater!!

Anvilcloud said...

If I go out really early these days, I am likely to find a rabbit on our front lawn.

Good for Annie. Our girl also has to work at getting up to things, but she is still making it for the most part.

Mary said...

Just a thought--I have a macular fold and for a while I began suffering from multiple ocular migraines a every week (no headaches, just the visual disturbances). Dr discovered my Vitamin B12 level was low and I was prescribed 1000mg B12 that I now take daily. Within two months of taking the pills, the visual disturbances dropped dramatically. That was almost two years ago. Have only had one minor visual disturbances in the past twenty months. As I said, just a thought.

Arkansas Patti said...

Aren't bunnies the cutest? I sure enjoy mine and Callie does too. They act as fitness trainers for her. She loves to chase them even without a prayer of catching one.
We are in the high 90's here and like you am very grateful for A/C. Stay cool.

CrystalChick said...

Aww, bunnies, so cute! Love the flowers! I have some hanging baskets and a few containers... they do well, then not so much if there's a lot of rain, or too much heat, etc. Today it's maybe low 80's. Humidity is so bleh here sometimes. Certain plants really like it though, so I can't complain toooo much since I do like having the patio garden.

Janie Junebug said...

Your flowers are doing much better than mine. Franklin and Penelope have messed around with my plants so much that some have already died. They didn't bother with the plants I put out last year, but for some reason this year, Penelope is eating some of the flowers and Franklin won't leave the potting soil alone. Every morning when I brush my teeth and wash my face I'm sure to splash a little water on the floor because Penelope likes to lick it up.

Love,
Janie

Bonnie said...

I love the bunnies! It's good to know Annie is doing well. I understand cats and water. Our cats cry for us to turn the bathroom faucet on drip for them to get water. Enjoy your week, I'll be thinking of you Friday.

Harvest Moon by Hand said...

That baby bunny is adorable. I enjoy seeing your cloud photos. It's amazing how much they can change day-to-day...and due to weather.

That's great that your grandsons are being homeschooled. Look at the full and interesting life they are leading already! Imagine what experiences and what they will learn by the time they graduate from high school.

High humidity - 75% - is pretty miserable. Definitely AC days!

Does Annie have Diabetes? I'm wondering if being thirsty all the time may be a symptom of that.

Your flowers look beautiful! I especially like the orange and purple ones next to one another. Such a lovely contrast!

Jo-Anne's Ramblings said...

That is one cute cottontail and Annie is so adorable..................

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

The baby cottontail is a cute little one, Rita, and sure hope his appetite does not extend to your flowers anytime soon. Glad to read that Annie is doing OK, which is really good news. Summer seems to be a busy time for families all over especially now that more things are opening up. Our weather has been quite nice in recent weeks with no really hot days and an occasional overnight rain.