Monday, July 18, 2022

July 18, 2022 Monday--12:30pm

Good afternoon!

Not all the cottontails have been poisoned.  I still have seen some stopping by.  Not that I have been looking much this week.


Was a quiet, numb week.  Many of you know what it is like after saying goodbye to a furry family member.  This was a week of adjustment and allowing myself to feel sad and blah.

Renee was transferred to Abbott Hospital.  They put her on steroids to shrink the tumor and scheduled surgery for Friday morning. 

I talked with her on Thursday on the phone and she was in good spirits.  She had a large meningioma in the front of her head (they're benign and grow between skull and brain).  Her surgery went well!  She has been sitting up, eating, and chatting.  I believe they might be transferring her to a rehab center today.  Thanks for all the prayers and good wishes.  :)

I spent most of the week in pajamas to be honest--with the blinds closed and the AC on.  (Been quite hot with heat warnings.)  Did what I had to do--laundry, cooking, cleaning.  Got dressed to water the patio planters and get mail a few times.  Gradually went through the apartment and gathered up Annie stuff--toys, beds, etc.--and have piled them in the pantry.  I'll get everything out to the garage eventually.  There's no point in me even thinking about another cat (but it would be an adult rescue if the time should come) until I am finally cancer free--so I would likely be around for the rest of their life.  Wouldn't be fair to the poor cat, you know?

On Friday my rolling laptop table made a popping noise and was drooping way down and wobbly.  Saturday--final exploding crack and the entire top fell off.  (Scared the hell out of me!)
Luckily I caught and balanced it on my foot just long enough to remove my laptop and the wooden tray filled with writing supplies before it hit the floor.
It had snapped apart where it had been welded together...so a total goner.
It wasn't expensive and yet it lasted over five years...so I ordered another similar inexpensive one from Amazon (didn't carry the same one anymore) that is supposed to be here on Friday.  

Therefore...my normal daily routine has another huge glitch.  No cat routine.  No internet routine.  (I don't do well trying to type on my lap and that also prevents me from being able to do two things at once--LOL!)  So, not online as much.  Not that that is a bad thing--LOL!  

Meanwhile, I do need to learn different routines as to how to follow blogs.  I don't get as many notices via email--and often I might not get a notice until they have more than one link--sometimes as much as links to the past five blog posts!?  Follow By Email isn't even an option on Blogger anymore.  It's probably amazing I get any notices via email at all right now.  (And they are few.)  This old dog needs to learn new tricks.  Probably checking my actual following list on Blogger?  But that won't happen until I have a laptop table again--LOL!

As you can see--no photos really this week.  Just been a comfy chair potato watching really good shows and writing letters and missing Annie.  I watched Trapped S1 & S2 on Prime (Icelandic with subtitles); The Responder S1 (new BritBox original with Martin Freeman); Grantchester S7 on PBS Passport; London Kills S3 (Acorn TV original); Silent Witness S24 (S25 is being shown right now in weekly installments so I'll wait till it's all there so I can binge watch); Ordinary Love 2019 with Liam Neeson & The Courier 2021 with Benedict Cumberbatch both movies were Netflix DVD rentals; plus watched the YT channels I follow and some other stuff.  I was obviously using the screen for self-soothing escape this past week--LOL!  Good escape, I must say.  

Oh, and almost forgot--for a change of pace I watched S1 of The Secret of Skinwalker Ranch (investigating UFOs and paranormal activity in Utah) and am now slowly watching Tiny House Nation and S7 of Stargate:SG-1--all on Netflix streaming.  I am not sure I will ever finish Stargate since I have been watching it here and there (when I remember and Netflix has it available) for over a decade--LOL!  

McFamily left on Saturday for a week for the McGregor annual gathering.  They rent a large place in Minnesota.  Dagan's dad & stepmother, stepbrother & family, and half-brother & family come from all over.  Nice for them to all have time to visit--Ian and Liam get to see other cousins, too.  Been a while.  

I've had a lot of trouble sleeping this past week.  Just on crazy hours where I am up all night and sometimes only catching naps.  I'm sure it will straighten out.  It always does.  :) 

I'm not feeling really down or too sad or anything.  I've said goodbye to many dear pets over my lifetime.  Just need a little time to adjust and allow myself to miss her, you know?  I'm already extra tired and listless all the time anyways--so I just leaned into it, I guess.  Was hot and we had a thunderstorm.  So glad I have such a good AC.  Was 93 yesterday and supposed to be 98 today.  We've had heat warnings.  But I've had to turn my AC off now and again because I got chilly.  Small apartment.  First floor.  Facing southeast.  Easy to cool down.  What a blessing!  So the heat is no excuse for my being unable to sleep--LOL!

I think of the many apartments I have lived in where I was lucky if it was 10 degrees cooler inside running the AC full blast 24/7 and you'd be all sweaty just sitting still...and, of course, the landlords refused to fix or replace.   Even my last apartment.  When I complained they just cleaned the dust out of it or replace the AC with another one from the building that didn't work any better--LOL!  I do love this little apartment.  It is a wonderful place to veg out, stare at the tube, and miss your cat--LOL!

I'll have to get off my be-hind this week and haul trash to the dumpster and cat stuff to the garage.  I totally fell off the coloring track for cards.  I need to get myself back in gear.  So--till next week, my people...stay well.  :)  

13 comments:

Deb J. in Utah said...

Hi Rita. Glad to hear that your apartment is a cool sanctuary for you on hot summer days. Of course you miss Annie. It takes a long time and then sometimes we still think about and miss those we love - even our animal family. Glad you were able to watch some TV and relax this past week. Sorry to hear that your table broke, but glad that you were able to get a new one so quickly. I hope your week goes well. I always enjoy your updates. See you again soon!

DJan said...

I've been thinking about you and also missing Annie, just knowing she's gone is painful. I keep seeing her in my mind's eye tucking her little nose into your armpit and knowing she's no longer suffering. Tears falling, dear Rita. I am still saying prayers to the Medicine Buddha every day for your health.

jinxxxygirl said...

Awww i know the awfulness of miss your cat... remember Jinxy? .. Such a hole in my life still not really filled.. And any time i see a black cat i miss him anew.. But life goes on... and we are to live it so yes dear Rita i hope you able to get off your be-hind this week.. :) Love ya much dear friend. Hugs! deb

David M. Gascoigne, said...

The last thing you needed was to have that table break, but at least the computer wasn't damaged. Stay cool indoors during this incredible heat that seems to be sweeping over the whole world. I have friend in Britain and the temperature in his town in the Midlands hit 40 degrees when a normal summer's day is around 23. Anthropogenic climate change is cooking the world.

Anvilcloud said...

Have you considered fostering cats? I often come across requests but can’t respond because Lacey would have conniptions.

Jeanie said...

Did you finish season 3 of London Kills? What a cliffhanger! Can't wait for season four. I know how hard it is to have the house absent your Annie. I know Lizzie is my last cat for I wouldn't want to leave one behind and I'm savoring every second, even her naughty box behavior. It is so quiet without them, even when they aren't loud. I like AC's idea of fostering cats. I never thought about that but it's a wonderful idea and they have them of various ages from kittens to full-on cats.

I did email signup through mailchimp for my blog and I'm so glad I did. I try to follow whatever I can by email. Bloglovin' is good when it's good, but very unreliable. And the google friend follow in blogger. Good luck.

Far Side of Fifty said...

Good to hear news of your sisters recovery. Of course you are missing Annie, I understand...it is not easy.
I read blogs from The Old Reader it is free for reading 100 blogs. I like it, it takes a bit of time to set up and enter the blogs address but after that is is a breeze.
Cooler today than yesterday! Stay cool!

DVArtist said...

Hi Rita, I am glad you are staying cool and in your PJs. Nothing like some time just to revamp and get the spirit back on track. Love all the things you are watching. Glad your sister's surgery went well. Ohh how upsetting to have everything fall to the ground. It seems like one thing after another. Just be calm and stay cool.

Jo-Anne's Ramblings said...

Missing Annie is normal, a broken table is annoying

Linda said...

Hello! I know what you mean about reading the blogs we follow. I am going to my Reading List on my Blogger Dashboard.....and I am now here visiting with you. I can't seem to change the blogs that come up on my side bar - some I'm not even following anymore.

I'm sorry about your beloved cat.....I know it's hard. It sounds like you are dealing with a lot of tough things right now. I can relate.

Saying a prayer for you, my dear Rita. I admire the way you are handling things and granting yourself grace. I'm trying to do that, too. You are a good role model.

Divers and Sundry said...

I'm sorry you're having such a hard time :( {hugs} I know you'd like the weather to moderate so you could spend some time out on your lovely patio.

I loved Trapped. I'm watching the new Grantchester as new episodes are released. I've seen all the Stargates and loved them. I've even re-watched them lol I'm re-watching all the James Bond films. I got in the mood after I saw Daniel Craig's new one.

Our low last night was 80. We're expecting temps as high as 103 this week. I have always liked hot weather. I don't like that the planet is burning. London is on fire! Literally :(

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Thanks, Rita, for the update on your sister. It was good to read that there has been improvement. Hopefully, better days are ahead for her.

Understandably you are missing your feline companion, Annie, and your decision to not immediately get another pet is a good one for now. As you said, perhaps sometime in the future, an older rescue cat would work out well for both of you. Right now, you are just taking time to remember and miss Annie.

YIKES on that table collapse, which thankfully wasn't worst. Five years seems a good time to not have had problems and perhaps the replacement will go the distance as well.

It's hot here in NJ as well and we returned from our Maine getaway just in time to experience the mid-90s temps this week, but we are staying cool in the AC and only going out when necessary. From the news reports, it seems the world has become hot not only in the US but all over the world, sadly.

Harvest Moon by Hand said...

I'm glad you are giving yourself the time you need to feel the loss of Annie. I missed seeing pictures of her this week watching the birds, bunnies, and other visitors to your feeder and on the patio.

That's good that this apartment has a good AC system. These days have been SO hot and uncomfortable. I'm finding I'm staying inside more this summer too rather than deal with the heat and humidity.

Sorry to hear about your table. That's frustrating when things break.