Sunday, February 12, 2023

February 12, 2023 Sunday--2pm

Good afternoon!

Decided that since I am meeting my new oncologist tomorrow that I would blog today instead.  

First--Allie wants to say hi.  She is not one to be ignored--lol! 

Monday
I had nice catch up chats with two friends--on the phone (a rarity for me)--Linda (grew up next door to and have known since I was five years old) and Bonnie (have known since the 90s when I joined a women's spiritual group in Minneapolis).  Was so nice to reconnect and hear their voices and laughter!

Tuesday
I made it to the new hospital for my CT scan!   Leah and the boys took me and waited in the waiting room--which had a kid's room with a TV that had on Disney Plus!  

A very nice young man did my scan.  What a coincidence that his mother has had shingles for four months and also has fibro.  Nicer machine at Sanford.  It starts out low so is easier to get onto the platform...then raises you up to put you through the kind of doughnut tunnel.  He was very good at getting the IV in, also.  It was painful on the shingles, had to go braless (luckily it is cold so I had a coat on till I went back for the scan), but it went quickly and smoothly.

Leah and the boys dropped me off and went for their usual Tuesday grocery and other errands shopping trip.  They came by later to drop me off some Keto bread (by Brownberry) and the boys wanted to try some of the bread to make toast.  Sure!  They loved it. 

Leah had picked me up some 3M hooks so  she could put up my new kitchen items I bought a while back.  

Since I won't have a stove or oven in my kitchenette when I move I was thinking of ways I can still have trivets and potholders...because I will still have some type of toaster oven or air fryer or something on the counter that I can use.  So I bought these silicone flower shaped trivets that wouldn't look too bad hanging on the wall above the sink...   
...and a pair of oven gloves I will hang on the side of my frig.
So far I have been using them and haven't missed my old trivets and potholders I keep under my oven in the bottom drawer...so I think these will work well.  The gloves are big but I am getting used to them.  A bit awkward but I really don't have to worry about steam burning me with these. That's so nice!

Wednesday
Managed to do laundry again.  Hadn't put anything away from the last time--or has it been last two times!  Just grabbing things off the table and from the basket since it is mostly just towels, nightgowns, underwear, and socks--lol!

Thursday
Allie was watching her CatTV.
I got the results online from the scan late in the evening.  Had to look up several medical terms, but my impression is that the news looked pretty good!  Tumors might even be gone?!  I'll find out more tomorrow when I meet Dr. Failing.

True--my bloodwork wasn't great.  Low white blood cell count and highish on glucose.  I can remember seeing it was a tiny bit high on glucose from bloodwork done at Essentia, but they never mentioned anything about it to me.

Well, I typed in immunotherapy and pre-diabetes...and guess what?  Keytruda came up by name.  *sigh*  I never saw that listed on their list of side effects.  Be interesting to see what Dr. Failing has to say.  This is the highest mine has been (I think it was 117 and normal is 90?)...and I am on a low carb diet with Keto.  

I am so curious to meet a new doctor and see how he is and if I like him.  :)

Friday
Leah came over in the late afternoon with egg cups I can nuke and to help me with a lot of things I haven't been able to do recently.  She cooked up some ground turkey for me, gathered my trash, emptied the big box of kitty litter into the bin, brought a birthday card down to the mail and checked my mail for me, emptied my dishwasher, brought out my trash--and warned me not to try it on my own because it was ice like glass out there.  And when she first came she found a box of flowers outside my door!!  So Leah even got them cut and into the pretty pitcher that came with them.
Thank you so very, very much Janie!!
Leah also set up a food app on my phone that she and Dagan are using.  She doesn't think I am eating enough...and I guess I am often not even eating 1000 calories a day.  So I will try to eat more often.  Was nice to have a little more time with sweet Leah.  :)

Saturday
The one thing I got done--little at a time--all day long.  TaDa!!
I finally got all the letters set up and ready to go!  15 of them waiting.  So, I will eventually get back to all of you wonderful people who write and send cards!  Very frustrating to not be able to do things like that I enjoy so very much...due to the shingles curse--lol!  I am very slowly getting better.  A bit disappointed that the pain level hasn't gone down much since the blisters have been crusting over.  I thought it would hurt less, you know?  Still pretty dreadful, but better than it was a week ago.  

Anyways, I worked at getting the laundry actually put away--all week--and finished by yesterday.  Hurray!  Was motivated by all that Leah got done that had me so totally overwhelmed.  So I worked 10-15 minutes at a time and got all the letters ready to go, too.  Felt sooo good.

Leah sent some pictures.
  
The boys love to go to the wall climbing place (owned by a friend of the family) and will go every week when they can.  
The walls are changed up often.  The boys get good exercise going there, that's for sure.  Here they are taking a break.
The basement floor!  
The man came over and put down three samples.  It's done on the floor where the shower will be in the bathroom so it won't show.
We like the middle one the best so far.  Much closer to what we had expected from the original samples, as you can see.  I am only seeing the photos just as you are, but Leah said she and Dagan wanted to see the last option he had (another layer on top of these, I believe).  He might even be coming tomorrow to put down the last option.  I am already much happier.  And he is not charging extra for it.  Hurray!  (Just putting everything behind schedule--LOL!)  But this already looks way better!!  And then it will be sealed and burnished or polished when he's all done so it will have a shine to it.

I was hoping to be moved in by this coming fall, but who knows?  Whenever it gets finished.  We are not on a timeline, really.  And, obviously, I haven't been able to go through all my things and purge as quickly as I expected...and I fully expected to be very slow--ROFL!  So, it just gives me more time to sort and purge over here, eh?  I will probably need every one of those months, to be honest.  ;)

Well, posting really early for me.  I started on the blog yesterday.  Little bits at a time works especially well for me right now..."baby steps".  (I always chuckle remembering that movie--What About Bob?) 

I am excited to meet the new oncologist tomorrow and am hoping for (and kind of expecting--knock on wood) good cancer news.  (From what I could understand it sounded like the tumors might possibly be gone!?  But then I am not that conversant in medical speak.)  

I still have a long way to go to get my health back--or what health I did have--lol!  I know I am not in good shape right now...at all.  And that's besides this icing on the cake--shingles.  I am hoping to get steroids or something to help jump start my system for the better.  I have inflammation throughout my body.  We'll see how they are at Sanford about all these issues.  I think just time will help, too.  So fingers crossed for good news on the tumors...and that no cancer has appeared or will appear anywhere else.  

Thank you for every single kind thought you have sent my way.  I can feel them even from the people who don't ever comment.  Thank you so much.  Thinking positive.  Till next time...  

13 comments:

DJan said...

So very glad to hear that the tumors might be gone! Your glucose is a little high, but not terribly so (but what do I know?). I am really glad you were able to get that done. I look forward to hearing how the visit goes. Fingers crossed!

Far Side of Fifty said...

I like either of the browns on the left...warm colors! Sounds like the scan was good, and I hope that you like the new Doctor!! Thinking positive for you! Such pretty flowers!! Thank goodness for Leah...and she has so much energy she can get lots done in just a little bit!

Anvilcloud said...

Allie looks robust and well nourished. Lacey is on me. I tried o show her the picture, but cats be cats. I 😀

Deb J. in Utah said...

Hi Rita. It really sounds like you are feeling a lot better this week and that is great! So glad that the CT Scan went better than expected. I hope you get great news from your new doctor. Please let us know! Those flowers are beautiful - how nice of your friend to send them. I hope you have a good week. See you again soon!

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I would have been by sooner, but I had to watch the Superbowl. Nice to read the tumors have shrunk. Let's hope they are gone for good and you get rid of the shingles soon, too. My friend's shingles lasted for SIX months, so it sounds like they caught yours early.

Nice to see you got a lot done after Leah jump started your to-do list.

I am keeping my fingers, toes, and eyes crossed that you like this new doctor. Have a pain free week, dear Rita and tell Allie that Bleubeard says hi!

CrystalChick said...

Hi, Rita and Allie! I've heard how difficult shingles can be. May they get a bit better each day. And even though your blood work wasn't the best, I do hope you get good results when meeting with your doctor today on other things. And hope you like him, too.
Beautiful flowers from Janie. Leah always sounds so loving and helpful.
I do get behind here, and on my blog, have some trouble with the format and logging in, etc... so I don't comment/post all the time, but do try to send positive thoughts!!
Mary

Jim and Barb's Adventures said...

Fingers crossed you get good news today! Leah sounds like a godsend and the boys look like they are having fun wall climbing.

jinxxxygirl said...

Ofcourse thinking of you and sending you good thoughts Rita!! Happy to hear you are feeling even a smidgen better.. and i hope your report is as good as you think it will be! Hugs! deb

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

What a beautiful bouquet you received from Janie and a lovely note as well. Both must have really cheered you day, Rita, along with the phone chats from long time friends.

Glad to read that you were able to get the CT scan and had such a good experience with the folks there. Hope when you meet with the new oncologist this week that it's good news. Sorry to read about the shingles pain continuing.

Leah is certainly a treasure with all those things she has done and continues to do. The trivets hung by the sink look cheerful and oven gloves are great. I have a blue pair similar to those red ones in your photo.

Even though your progress seems slower because of the feeling not so good days, you have made progress. That said, I have to think about getting to the laundry today and the best part is always when it's done.

Jo-Anne's Ramblings said...

Hope things are going well, you can so so much with a toaster oven and an air fryer.

Juli said...

Love Janie! So sweet of her! I am "Prepping" for my surgery on Wednesday starting tonight, I'd rather be over prepped than under prepped, ya know? Honestly, I don't know if I'll ever be healthy again, but any improvement would be welcome at this point.

Love the trivets, and I agree on the silicone gloves, we have grabbers and while I thought they were ridiculous when the hubs bought them, I use them all the time now.

Janie Junebug said...

I have big oven gloves, too. They're awkward but I haven't gotten burned in a long time. I already read your next blog post so I know the visit went well. What a relief for you to have a doctor who communicates and actually pays attention to you. I have a toaster oven that is an air fryer. It's wonderful. You can bake in it, too. I swear it can do everything except fold the laundry.

Love,
Janie

Divers and Sundry said...

It sounds like things are coming along nicely with the new place. You'll be settled in soon, and then you can focus on getting your remaining health issues taken care of.

I never did get used to gloves like that, so I'm still using the same old-fashioned cloth potholders.