Monday, March 11, 2024

March 11, 2024 Monday--11:45am

Woke up to a dead laptop.  Died during the night and so my blog never posted.  I tried all the things to start up the black screen but nothing worked.

Leah texted me to let me know Dagan's liver scan was good and he was waiting to have a heart cath.  There had been some emergency surgery so he is all ready and prepped for the cath...just waiting. 

Leah talked me through checking laptop cords and such--which I had already done.  Then she told me to hold the start button even longer.  (Had held it down like maybe 12-15 seconds and nothing had happened.)  I think it took closer to 30 seconds--but up popped back to life!  Why she shut herself off during the night, I have no clue...but now I can post the blog I had scheduled.  And you know more than you would have.  So far, so good on Dagan's tests today.  Surgery is tomorrow afternoon. :)


Good morning!

I saw the bigger covey of partridges on Monday, so I figured we were in for some cold weather again.

Yup!  Snow on Tuesday.
Since there weren't blizzard winds with it, I took a picture both ways from the patio.
Here you can see the tree where the sparrows and small birds hang out waiting for seed (or just in-between meals--lol!).
I put out some extra seed.  (This was covered in about 15 minutes.)
Allie came over from a nap to watch what I was doing, of course.
The snow that was supposed to last for just a couple of hours lasted several hours...and the world was white again.

Well, briefly.  Very briefly.  

Believe it or not this was the very next day.  Brown again.  Extra seed uncovered.  I didn't have to put any more out for almost two days--lol!
Keanna drove through the snow to clean on Tuesday.  Dagan dropped off a couple grocery items and brought in some bird seed for me.  He was coughing some and sounded winded.  Told him he needed to let his doctors know he'd been sick in case they wanted to postpone...or at least give them a heads up if they didn't want to wait any longer on his pacemaker.  He didn't think he needed to.  Leah talked to him, too.  So he called on Thursday and got the okay to drive down if he was feeling okay.  

On Thursday this really cheap throw I ordered arrived.  On sale for $13 on Amazon.  Since my "bedding" is nothing but neck pillows and throws...thought this lighter throw would be great.  I tossed it on the floor...was going to grab it on my next trip to the laundry room.  I was shocked!  Look who decided to park herself on the throw!
This is the same cat who will not come up and sit with me on my chair when I have a blanket over me.  Any blanket.  Not one of my throws is acceptable to her.  You'd think I had covered myself with an electrified, poisoned, blanket full of tacks.  They lie folded and stacked on the floor in the studio all day and she has never set foot on them.  Ever.  Yet--here she sat!?
Cats do not have to make sense.  I figured this shocking behavior may well pass quickly.  Folded up the throw and set it on the floor where she likes to rest...thinking now she'd surely avoid it like she does the extra cat beds I move around the place--lol!
Couldn't catch a photo of her parked on it, but she has been there a few times.  Almost like she didn't want such embarrassing pictures of her out there on the internet.  She'd skedaddle when I went to get my phone to take a picture--lol!  Guess I may be giving up my new, super cheap throw--lol!  Well, for as long as it still interests her, anyways.  If I wash it and it smells different that may change her entire attitude, though--lol!

Whenever I go down to the front door to check my mail...well, there is still a good-sized Santa sitting outside the door of the guy who lives next-door to me.  It's a cute enough Santa with glasses...but it is March, after all.
Usually when Allie hears me say I am going to check mail she'll drag herself out of bed to make sure I make it home okay.  Miss Allie does have abandonment issues, as you know.
So, our brown winter persists.  
I actually heard Canadian geese overhead on Sunday!  Beginning of March!  Spring doesn't usually really arrive up here till sometime in May.  If I didn't know better I would think it actually was spring up here.  We're supposed to be in the 50s and even low 60s this week.  Bizarre!  

Dagan and Leah drove down to Minneapolis Sunday.  Leah's brother, Aaron, is staying with the boys and will bring them to school, etc.  Dagan has the pre-surgery stuff on Monday, surgery on Tuesday, and post-surgery stuff on Wednesday.  All goes as planned, they will be driving back on Wednesday.

Once a Mommy...always a Mommy.  I will relax when the surgery is done and he's back home.  I wish I could be there in the waiting room with Leah.  I'm sure most of you know what I am talking about.  Thanks for every good wish, prayer, and healing thought.  Till next time...

Oh goodness!  Caught her!  LOL!

14 comments:

Jim and Barb's Adventures said...

Quite the roller coaster of a week weather-wise! Do you ever see the chicks in the late spring/early summer when the baby partridges are hatched?

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

So glad you were able to get your laptop working. and I am even happier that Dagan is doing ok, I hope his surgery goes well.

Our weather is as strange as yours. Below freezing one day and 70 F the next. I don't think I got as much snow as you got, though.

Allie is a biot like my cats. They do the exact opposite of what I think they will do. HMM for Allie and the throw.

Laughed at the Santa in March. One of my neighbors just took his Christmas decorations and lights down last week.

Hope all goes well with Dagan. Take good care of You, dear Rita!

Janie Junebug said...

I'm glad Dagan felt well enough to go, but I hope it isn't one of those man things where men always say they feel fine no matter how they are. Anyway, you said the tests were going well, so he must be all right. It's not ususual for you to have snow in March, is it? You still have a mostly brown winter, though. Funny Allie! I suspect the unwashed throw has an odor she likes, or maybe she wanted to shock you. Take good care of yourself. I look forward to you letting us know that everything is okay with Dagan.

Love,
Janie

Jon said...

Positive thoughts and prayers for Dagan.
I'm glad your laptop was revived. All I could think of is unplugging and rebooting it. They are consistantly unpredictable.
The snow and partridges look nice. When I lived in West TX there was a small lake near my house. Every winter Canadian geese would stay there. I always liked to hear them honking (sometimes they would do it all night).
I laughed at Allie's infatuation with your new throw.

David M. Gascoigne, said...

I think that once in a while computers shut down arbitrarily just to let us know that they are the boss! Perhaps AI is already working its malevolence into our daily lives. As for the arrival of spring, there is no sound quite like the chorus of Canada Geese returning home. On the day that I die if that’s the sound I hear bidding farewell to the world, I will go out happy!

Anvilcloud said...

Cats. Up until a few months ago, Lacey would be very keen to visit me in my chair after lunch. Also for a spell in the evening. Now she won't although she does hang around, especially close to bedtime.

DJan said...

I hope it all goes well for Dagan and that you wil finally relax when it's all done. Yes, cats are quite odd creatures, aren't they? I like that throw, too.

Jeanie said...

Well, at least Allie is taking over a super cheap throw instead of a super expensive one! Sending all good wishes your way for good results on everyone's tests and scans and Dagan's surgery today. Have a wonderuful week full of good news.

Far Side of Fifty said...

Prayers for Dagan's surgery to be without complications! Cats...they have a mind of their own:)

Rebag said...

Hi Rita! Just on some down time and catching up on some reading in your blog here, Prayers for you and all the family for Dagan, fully understand that "being a mom" ..hasnt the weather just been short of amazing!? But I do think up your direction you have had more snow and ice than we4 have had!

Jo-Anne's Ramblings said...

A dead laptop is annoying, I take it you don't shut your laptop down at night I don't either it takes too long to re-boot if I did.

Seeing snow made me feel cold, or maybe it is the cool breeze coming through the house, I shoud get up and close the door.

Yeah b y March Santa should have been stored away.

Deb J. in Utah said...

Hi Rita. I am late reading this post, so I guess Dagan's surgery was today. Prayers that all went well and that he recovers quickly. Cats are such mysterious creatures, but that's what makes them nice to have around. I hope that spring comes to your area soon and you can see more green instead of just white and brown. Have a good week and let us know how Dagan is! See you again soon.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

All good thoughts sent out for Dagan's surgery, Rita, and sure you will post an update when it's completed which may have already happened as I am late in blog reading. You may have to buy another blanket for yourself as Allie seems to have stacked a claim on that one and blue seems to be her color 😉 Your snow events have been short lived in recent weeks, which isn't a bad thing as far as visitors coming to the critter cafe. Glad the laptop was revived and hopefully ther will not be a recurrence.

Barwitzki said...

Good thing your laptop was talking to you again... it's nice to be in touch with the outside world.
All the best to Dagan.
Kind regards to you from Viola... rain here today but lots of plus degrees... spring is showing up.
Hug