Monday, March 04, 2024

March 4, 2024 Monday--5am

 Good morning!

Monday it was 60 degrees and sunny!  Had the patio door open a good part of the day.
Tuesday morning woke up to a blizzard with 35-45 mph winds.
I shot a little video.  What crazy weather!
As soon as I put out some seed a few juncos came out from the bushes behind one of my planters to grab a bit to eat.
In just a few minutes the seed was being buried by the gusty snow, but they knew where to dig with their beaks and feet.
The smaller birds are always glad to see the partridges arrive because they have bigger feet and beaks to dig with--lol!  Notice the bigger flock showed up when the weather got bad.
I noticed when the wind was dying down later in the day the two partridges were sitting up on the planter box where that nest-like indentation is.  Maybe it is those two?
Wednesday was really cold still, but roads, sidewalks, and parking lots were getting plowed and schools were reopened.  

So many of my pictures look like this one--lol!  The small birds are so flighty!  They land and eat a little and then take off to sit in the nearby tree.  
They kind of regroup and come right back...but then all fly away again.  Back and forth in one big bunch of flapping wings.  No wonder Allie (and Annie and Karma) love to sit and watch them.
Once the wind dies down and it warms up a little bit, they calm down and the big flock splits up again.
Allie slept next to me at the table for another day...
...but then she decided that it was too light and noisy in the kitchen so she moved back to her favorite spot to sleep the day away...every day since the blizzard--lol!  And she does really conk out and relax in the darkened bedroom.  
I have done laundry and used the table to fold clothes and towels right there in front of her...and she barely opens an eyeball.  It's her peaceful haven.  I don't spoil it for her by talking to her at all when I'm in there.  

I hope she finds a spot like that somewhere after we move. 

The rest of the week--I worked on coloring the birthday cards.  It looked like this for three days in my kitchen.
I rotated colors for certain parts of the stamps and colored them assembly line fashion...
...so none of the cards have the exact same color pallet.  I finished them all while watching YouTube videos.  (Like the Goulet Pencast you can see on my laptop there...all chat about fountain pens.)
It did warm up by Wednesday, as they predicted.  So--we are right back to brown grass, as you can see.  Almost 50 again today.  Bizarre!
I have been enjoying my peaceful weeks with no pressure to finish purging and packing.  Been baking, cooking, doing laundry, tweaking my rollie carts, puttering, writing letters, and grateful I didn't catch what McFamily (and so many others) have been plagued with this winter.  

I got a few pics from back on February 24th...one of the times when they thought they were all getting better.  This cold/cough/flu whatever people call it (but not covid) just hangs on and on.  I think since Leah also did get covid on top of this she is taking a long time to heal.  She had bronchitis, too, along with the sinus infection.  Ended up back at the walk-in clinic Friday after work.  Her bronchitis is gone but the sinus infection is still a problem.  Another round of anti-biotics for her.  

Leah has had asthma since she was little.  It hadn't been a problem for years, but the smoke from Canada set it off this past summer...and asthma may have something to do with it taking longer for her to shake this.  But Ian is still coughing some, too.  Liam still has the head congestion but is getting better.  Dagan is doing okay--thank goodness.  They need to all get well!  Dagan has his surgery in one week.

Anyways, the frustrating thing about this cold is that you might feel better for a while and then feel worse again...in cycles.  Plus it can turn into bronchitis or pneumonia or sinus infection.  I keep hearing of people being sick for weeks and months with it...all over the US at least. 

Anyways, as I was saying--these pictures are from when they felt better back in February.
They had been to Kobe's Japanese restaurant.  They have a great Koi pond!
Here's a selfie of Leah, Ian, and Liam in the living room by their picture window...showing our brown winter.
Liam working diligently on making something--can't recall what this is called or what he makes with it (bracelet?)--but you use small rubber bands and weave them together, I believe.  He was very intent on his project.

So, that's about it from here.  Hopefully McFamily will all feel lots better by the end of the week.  They're on the mend and Leah is on another round of anti-biotics.  Me?  I don't have any plans at the moment but to work on letters, do the usual household chores (and grateful that I can do them pretty easily now--whoohoo!), and hopefully do something extra this week.  Not sure what that might be yet.  It is just wonderful not to be feeling every day like I am behind the eight-ball, as they say.  

Have you had crazy weather?  Do you or anyone you know have this crazy cold/cough/flu thing?  (I do know a few of you have.)  Do you have plans for the week?  Till next time... *hugs from Fargo*

14 comments:

David M. Gascoigne, said...

Big birds and little birds cooperating, birds of different species even. There’s a lesson for humans there!

Anonymous said...

It's funny how the weather can be warm one day then cold the next.

DJan said...

Always so nice to hear that things are on the upswing in your world, Rita. I do hope those antibiotics will help Leah fight this thing. And yes, many people are sick around here, some with covid, others with the flu. I have managed to stay healthy, I think partly thanks to wearing a mask on the bus.

Jim and Barb's Adventures said...

What a difference a few days makes, that is some crazy weather! I am sure the birds appreciate the additional nourishment. I am feeling better, but still not 100%, whatever this is is hanging on a long time. Hope your family recovers quicker!

jinxxxygirl said...

Oh yes! We ALL had it... and it behaves just like you mentioned.. you cycle between feeling good, thinking your on your way to getting over it then BAM you feel awful again.. Daughter and Grandlittles went to the doctor to get antibiotics hubby and i didn't .. but they didn't get over it any faster than we did.. uuuugh.. I'm working this week on getting my things ready for the stock show.. Hugs! deb

Deb J. in Utah said...

Hi Rita. It looks like you got some snow where you are too. Sure hope that McFamily is better soon and that Dagan's surgery can go on as scheduled. Allie looks so comfy sleeping there. I feel much sleepier on snowy and rainy days too! I hope you have a good week, Rita. Take care and I'll see you again soon!

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

The weather has been uo and down here, Rita, but only in terms of the temperature with no snow or rain. That blizzard was sure short lasting in terms of being down to brown grass in a few days. We have both been well, no cold, flu or other ailments. Hooe that McFamily, especially Leah, will be on the way to recovery. Glad to read that you have been having such good weeks and Allie looks comfortable as well.

Janie Junebug said...

Someone on our team at work has had the cold/cough/flu thing. I don't know if she's recovered because I've been in training, but she had been sick for more than a month when my training started. Being sick so long must be very hard on Leah with her asthma. Our weather hasn't been too crazy lately--not unusually warm or cold. Thank you very much for the birthday card! It's adorable.

Love,
Janie

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Sorry to read McFamily is still not well. I hope by the time Dagan has his surgery all will be OK.

Loved seeing the birds cooperating together for food. It has been that kind of weather here, too. Hot one day, cold the next.

Those cards are beautiful and Allie seems happy in a dark room, unlike both my fur boys.

Liam certainly looks intent. Hope you have a great week, dear Rita.

Jo-Anne's Ramblings said...

From sunny to snowing with strong winds wow that is some crazy weather, I am with Allie sleeping in dark room is easier then one with a lot of light. Sprry to read that Leah is having trouble shaking her unwellness.

Far Side of Fifty said...

The flu is horrid! AND I had the flu shot last October. Hope you can avoid it Rita!

Jeanie said...

Sounds like life is pretty good apart from the McFamily colds and bugs. I've had an earache and persistent cough for a few days now that is starting to bug me but apart from that, so far, so good, and not knowing others who are sick. Allie will find her spot. Might take a bit as she auditions them, but she will. Our weather is erratic too -- we were 70s, now 30s. But all will be well!

DVArtist said...

You have such a lovely family. Ohhh that storm was wicked. Yes, we have had crazy, stupid weather. As you know I live at the beach in OR. and we had snow all last week. REALL?? It is now cold, and I have plants that need to go into the grown. Your work area is so organized and clean. Mine is my organized. LOL It was nice to hear your voice on the video. Have a nice day today.

Juli said...

We've had weird weather here too, but not like that. I'm ready for spring. The time change should help, but I need a reset badly. Hope everyone's on the mend soon!