Monday, October 14, 2024

October 14, 2024 Monday--5am

Good morning!

Fall is here.  The trees across the way always turn one-by-one right to left.  One down!


 Another week spent in coloring sessions every day--well, through Thursday.
I thought I'd be finished this week but I had a very good reason to be too sore to do much of anything by Friday--lol! ;)

I did briefly hear a familiar sound!!  Only had the door cracked open because it's been so cold--but caught quick pictures of the three young partridges who had come to eat a little as they ran away.


Been really colder up here.  Had a frost warning and then last night a freeze warning (28 degrees).  

Anyways, what did I do Friday to have knocked me totally out of commission for a good while?  I saw Slumberland had a big sale going Friday-Monday.  We went off to look for a lift chair Friday evening.  I remember it took a long time for us to find my big brown chair I've had for ten years.
The trouble is...in most all of the chairs my feet hang over the edge of the footrest.  I have plantar fasciitis.  If my feet hang over like that I can't walk when I go to get up.  Pointing your feet like that sets it off something fierce.  Took quite a while to find the one I have that supports my entire foot, as you can see.
I am only 5' 1" tall and do not have long legs.  I guess most people are used to not being able to have their feet supported in lounge chairs?  Puzzles me.  It really does.

Anyways, I have some pics from Leah and I'll end with the lift chair adventure. :)

This is the view from their deck.  They got a new roof for it!
I will be able to go upstairs and sit out on the deck any time the weather is permitting.
The boys went to the Home Depot kids' making fun time.
Looks like they made fire trucks.  Posed pic.
Not as posed--lol!
They went to Leah's sister Michal's recital.
This looks like it was a Lego Halloween display with giant Lego people.
Leah sent me door pictures.  The laundry/maintenance room door they had to remake smaller was installed.
The front door to the apartment--closed.
Has the right handle on it now.
Open.
Closed from the outside view when you come down the stairs.
Probably not too exciting to you guys, but it is exciting to me--lol!

The big news is---drum roll---the plumbers are coming next Monday!!  Whoohoo!!

Okay--Friday night...the search for a chair.  Dagan and the boys picked me up about 5pm and Leah met us after she got off work.  Nothing at Slumberland fit the bill.  All I really have to do is sit in them and put the footrest up.  Wouldn't matter if they were $800 or $3000...whether it had all the bells and whistles (massager/heat/pillow that pumped up) or not...if my feet hang over the edge it is a no-go.  All I needed was a separate control for the back and for the footrest.  No bells and whistles needed.  My brown big comfy chair does have massage --which I never use.  (Ian loves it so, of course, he was hoping I'd have to buy one with the vibrating massage feature--lol!)

In the second store there was one that at least my heels were on the very edge of the footrest.  Was the best one so far...
...but way more than I wanted to spend!  But about 500 to 600 dollars cheaper than the other one we had found where my heels balanced on the edge of the footrest.  *sigh*
Hit another store--nothing.  And a final desperate trip to HOM Furniture...which we remembered had virtually nothing ten years ago when I got my brown chair...so we weren't expecting much.  

Well, surprise! Surprise!!  The perfect chair for me was there!  Smaller than my brown one.  No bells and whistles.  Can't see it, but when you put up the footrest there's another small added piece to it tucked under the bottom in the front there.  So it holds my heel just perfectly!
And $550 dollars less than that best one we had found so far--whoohoo!!
And cloth!  I much prefer a cloth rather than anything leather or fake leather.  We needed two of them.  A chocolate one will go in Dagan and Leah's living room and will be delivered on Wednesday!!  I ordered the burgundy one for my apartment!!  (Told you I want splashes of color.)  
My red one will be delivered towards the end of November.  HOM was the only place that mentioned no tax on a lift chair because they're considered a medical expense.  No extra delivery and set up charge for bringing them at separate times, either.  I am sooo happy!!

But I am sooo sore and I hurt all over.  Recovering from all the walking through four furniture stores (lift chairs are always farthest from the front doors waaaay in the back of the stores--lol!) and then getting in and out of I don't know how many chairs.  I haven't been out shopping in a store at all for over three years, I think.  Needless to say...that took everything out of me and I am paying for it...and will be for a while yet...BUT...I AM SO EXCITED!! 

I already knew I didn't want to go with to pick out appliances.  I totally trust Leah to pick them all out and she knows I am fine with anything similar to what they have--which she suggested, of course.  So, I knew this was THE big exhausting trip out for me...and it is done!  And it turned out better than expected in so many ways.  What a relief!  And a red chair!  I will have a red chair!  So cool!

Just need to get some spoons back and that will take some time.  This week Keanna comes Tuesday, the brown lift chair will be delivered to the house on Wednesday, and I have an appointment with my new eye doctor on Thursday.  I am just resting and recouping to hopefully be in better shape before the eye doctor visit.  And the plumbers will be here in a week!  Appliances will be next big purchases.  

Dagan and Leah will be able to start putting IKEA furniture together once the plumbers are done.  There are still other small issues with different contractors, but it is getting closer and closer to the finish line.  Oh, and when they start on the IKEA furniture Dagan and Leah will have to unfold my living room rug to get it down on the floor to save their knees!  So you'll get to see that soon, too.  I'm sure the folded-so-long rug will be a bent mess for a while, but it should flatten out.  

Meanwhile...ballot in the mail last week.  Between wars, hurricanes, tornadoes, floods, earthquakes and fires...my heart goes out to all the people who are enduring these catastrophes.  Trying to stay as optimistic as possible.  Praying for positive changes.  The world needs much love and compassion and kindness.  Spread it whenever and wherever you can. Till next week...  

13 comments:

Jim and Barb's Adventures said...

Down to the final stages of preparation for the big move! You are going to love that chair!

David M. Gascoigne, said...

Your move seems really imminent now. Do you have a date yet?

DJan said...

How thrilling that you got those two chairs, Rita. And even though you are tired and sore, it was worth it! Congratulations on getting even closer to liftoff!!

jinxxxygirl said...

What a story! I'm so glad you found your chair... I have found that recliner/lift chair are short also.. I'm 5'7 and hubs 6' and its nearly impossible to find one that fits ALL of me... I hate my feet hanging off... My theory is that they are all made in a foreign country where they have shorter people... So happy for you!! Hugs! deb

Sandra said...

A big amen to your last couple of sentences.

You've got me excited. I can't wait to see what's coming next! I really like the color, but I would say that because my sofas are similar color.😉 My dad had a lift chair. He had neuropathy. He was a blessing for him. I always have an ottoman in front of my chairs. I am a whole 1" taller than you. Woot woot!

Rita said...

No, David. No definite date for the move yet. Hoping before Thanksgiving, but at least before Christmas. :)

Rita said...

Sandra, I used to be 5' 1 3/4" long ago Somewhere along the line I have shrunken down and lost 3/4"!

Sandra said...

I was still a 1/4 in taller. Yay, me!

Deb J. in Utah said...

Hi Rita! That chair is great and will be perfect for you. Looks just like one we had for quite a while. So much progress has been made on your apartment, and the plumbing will be one of the last things to do! So exciting for you. Cute pictures of the boys. As always it reminds me of when we would take our boys to Home Depot on Saturday mornings to make stuff. We have been very warm here, but things are starting to cool down and we have some real fall weather coming at the end of the week. I mailed you a letter. Hope it got to you. Thanks so much for the birthday card! I hope you will give me your new address when you move! See you again soon!

Jo-Anne's Ramblings said...

I love the lift chair Tim bought me, I got mine second hand and it only cost $400 which is around $269 USD.
I liked the photos you share also you are 2 inches taller then me

Far Side of Fifty said...

Nice chair!! You will like it! After Mom died we gave hers away...she was short too but her feet fit on the footrest. Her chair was almost like new. It sounds like things are coming together quite nicely in your new apartment! The boys did another great project!!

CheerfulMonk said...

I'm so happy that you found your chair and that the move is getting closer and closer!

Janie Junebug said...

It's all so exciting! You have doors, and the plumbers will be there soon. The chairs have been chosen. I love the burgundy for your apartment. I know shopping wore you out, but it's over and done with now. Before you know it, Leah will choose the appliances and they'll be delivered. The rug will be down and furniture will be in YOUR apartment! I had despaired of it all ever getting done so I'm thrilled to see the progress. I mailed back my ballot last week on Tuesday and I received word it was received on Friday.

Love,
Janie