Friday, April 05, 2013
I did work on the Zendala Dare this week.
This time I searched through my home-made tangle book...
...and used (or adapted) beadlines, bundles, and hopscotch.
Sorry if the pictures are dark. It's a gray morning here.
My Ink Drop for April arrived from Goulet Pens.
Was excited to see turquoise!!
Well, I have already gotten side-tracked on the 21 Secrets--LOL! I kept thinking that I should do a separate journal just for all the critters and Minnesota prairie memories...kind of a collage art diary. I remembered that in one of the classes we were supposed to construct our own journal. So I found that one ( #9-Diary of a Highly Effective But Inconsistent Journaler with Jodi Ohl) and watched all the eight videos.
Inspiring. And I may try something closer to her method (duct tape, sewing machine, and glue gun) when I have some of my own gelli plate papers...but that's another story. (I have ordered a gelli plate for my birthday, but it's on backorder.) Well--face it--you know how anal I am about these type of things. My being looser would be using gelli plate printed papers. There's no way I could put together a journal with duct tape--LOL!
Which led my wandering mind to my yearly goal list.
Make a larger journal, it says...right there...printed on my list.
A few years back I bought some Dick Blick student grade watercolor paper that's pre-cut to 15 X 22 inches. I had this idea of just folding it in half to make a 15 X 11 inch art journal--absolutely humongous for me!! So I drug out all my paper stash from under my bed. Karma was intrigued, of course.
I keep them inside cardboard cartons that some of them arrived in...
...and I have a couple big black boxes, too.
Of course they are organized into watercolor paper, pastel paper, drawing paper, large printed & handmade papers (in one of the black boxes), and even larger pretty paper that wouldn't fit in the black box. I found my cheap stacks of Dick Blick student WC paper--have both 140 and 90 lb. Decided with such a huge book it should have sturdier paper--so I folded the dozen sheets of 140# paper. I'm only using two sheets per signature.
I also have these Davy Boards I have never used. Thought I'd try a big heavy cover for this giant journal.
Had to work a little at a time so it took forever to cut the covers, but I did it--tada!
Then I picked some handmade paper for the covers.
Lighter one with the inclusions for the outside of the covers and the darker tan for the insides.
I tore them down to size. (I do love my super heavy giant ruler I bought for bookmaking years ago!)...
...then sanded down the edges of the Davy Board. All ready for the next step--gluing the paper on the covers.
I plan to do a coptic stitch binding since I am kind of familiar with that method (haven't done it for so long I hope I can remember and not make too many mistakes)...but have never tried anything so huge! Going to be tricky.
Karma and I were exhausted. ;)
And now I best get moving. Dagan is supposed to come over after his half day today and take me over to renew my driver's license. I have had to postpone it already a couple of times. Only have a month after my birthday or I'd have to take the behind the wheel and written test all over again--so I hope I can make it over there this afternoon. Wish me luck!
Chance of rain, ice pellets, or snow today--so it's a dress warm day. Hope your weekend is filled with wonderful new memories to cherish. :)
"If we take the time, no matter how crazy and troubled we feel, we can find something to be thankful for."
Terry Lynn Taylor