Monday, March 28, 2022

March 28, 2022 Monday--1:45pm 71 years old today!

Good afternoon!

Yup--definitely into my 70s now.  Thank you for the cards and letters.  And thank you Janie Junebug for the beautiful miniature rose plant!  OMGosh!


I am having a quiet day with Annie.  Been a very low gear most of this past week so I am better off resting up.  You know it's low gear when I passed on an invitation to go over to visit McFamily this weekend for my birthday.  I'm not really feeling badly...just tired and a little weak.  So have been taking it easy and getting some extra sleep.  Did get a lot of letters written, though.  Had a stack of 13 set up last Monday and am down to two left on that batch.  :)  Now I need to set up the pile that's accumulated on my desk this week.  ;)  

I am SOOO glad my snail mail friends have not forgotten me!  :)

I am mainly so tired from working on the patio five days in a row.  I didn't overdo it...or I wouldn't have been able to do five days in a row...but it wore me out nonetheless.  Absolutely worth it, though!!  

Here's Annie observing before my last day of sweeping.
I've been putting out some seed on the little table and saw my second sign of spring--a robin!  (First was a grackle.)
I started watching Sketchbook Revival videos last Monday.  They do two weeks of two videos a day for free and give you some extra time to finish watching them (two more weeks till April 18).  I haven't been up to actually participating in any of the sessions but most of them are fun to watch anyways.  Some give you new ideas and techniques.  Some don't interest me so I pass on those.  This is the second week now starting today.

On Friday I had a regular checkup with my primary physician, Dr. Kessler.  Leah dropped me off and did some errands.  I made sure to thank Kessler for doing that cancer test "just in case".  I've thanked her before but I wanted to really let her know again how much that has meant to me.  I really like her.  So glad I switched to her...for so many reasons.

My blood pressure has been running on the high side.  I was on the lowest dose so she doubled that (next size dose).  I may have to go in for a quick BP check with the nurse in three weeks.  Kessler will look and see what my BP is after I go in for my infusion this Friday.  But she does want to see me in three months regardless to review how the BP medication is doing and how I am doing.  :)

We discussed Keytruda a bit.  I told her I have looked online and Keytruda only works on 15-20% of the population, so that is lucky for me.  It is a "rare miracle" for a few but the average survival rate is 26 months and some as much as 36 months.  But I told her that I don't feel like I fit into the usual people who are taking it.  My impression is that by the time people are getting immunotherapy they have been on chemo for a long time and it isn't working for them anymore...and then (in probably pretty bad shape) they start Keytruda just as a last ditch effort to keep them alive longer.  They actually call it a palliative treatment.  Well, Kessler readily agreed.  She doesn't think I fit the profile of who is on Keytruda, either.  I was so glad she agreed.  Not that I don't stay optimistic and positive, but it helps to have someone see it like you do, you know?  :)  We couldn't hug so we did elbow bumps.

Leah came in after the appointment and did the trash and such for me.  I was too tired to want to work on bookcards yet so we just had a really good chin wag as the British say.  Was marvelous!  Leah is truly a soul sister.  

One of the things I was talking to her about that I am thinking more about today on my birthday is how with the cancer I believe I am in a win-win situation.  If I don't make it...if I die sooner than expected (as so many in the family live to be in the 90s)...well, I am still old enough (lol!) and have lived truly, truly a full life.  I have learned a lot and I think I am a better person for the time I have put in here on this beautiful, crazy planet.  I have always done what I felt deep down was right for me to do--even when other people thought I was nuts, to be honest.  When situations didn't work out in the long run...well, I learned a whole lot of positive spiritual lessons from them that I couldn't have learned probably any other way.  Don't they say the lord works in mysterious ways--lol!  Things worked out in the way they were supposed to and I have no regrets.  I have always tried to very consciously make decisions--big and small.  

If I didn't and slid into something--well, then that's my own fault and I certainly learned something from that, too.  No one else to blame.  I am not a "what if" type person at all.  Always have tried to take the bigger picture into consideration...accept my life's path and my choices as my responsibility...no one else's.  The things one has no control over...like Dagan having severe heart defects or my having chronic health issues for over two decades and now cancer...well, I have no control over those things happening.  Life is absolutely a crap shoot with no promises or guarantees.  I only have control over how I live through those things.  I am not unrealistic, but I also do believe in miracles and think it is a waste of precious time to give up or be negative about it and ruin today, you know?  Don't borrow trouble.  If the worst is going to happen it will happen without fretting over it and not appreciating the time you do have, you know?  

Any of us could be gone tomorrow.  What is important is who you are--right now--this day--this moment.  Who are you?  Who do you want to be?  How are you effecting the people around you?  Have you let the people you love know how much they mean to you?  Can you change whatever is making you fearful, unhappy, or stressed in your life?  If you absolutely can't--then focus on how to live through it and remain true to yourself and be something positive in this world. Find it inside of you.  It is there.  And if you can change things (often we actually can but it is a scary leap of faith to do so)--do it!  Think it through--make plans--find a way to change things.

When you live your life as best you can...like you could die tomorrow...then you are okay to die tomorrow. 

I'm not perfect.  None of us are.  I've always given it my best shot.  I have failed or steered off my inner path here and there along the way, but it is never too late to jump back on...or crawl and claw your way back on--LOL!  I always got back on that path and did my best as the flawed, slow-to-learn human being I am.  It is never too late.

I am good to go.    

And if the Keytruda does shrink the tumors and I become cancer free--that is a win!  A huge win!  Being allowed to have more days on this precious beautiful ugly world...that's an obvious win.

So see?  I'm in a win-win situation.  I cannot lose.  Happy birthday to me.  I made it 71 years so far.  I may have to make myself some Keto brownies--LOL!  ;)

Love and hugs to you all!!

17 comments:

jinxxxygirl said...

Love to you Kathy! Hope my bday card made it to you in time!!! I have alot of the same views on life as you. No wonder we are friends!! lol Take care girlfriend.. and make those brownies!! Hugs! deb

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

My very best wishes to you, Rita for your Happy 🎂 Birthday Year because it does last more than a single day, as it should. You will only be the age you are today once, unless there is reincarnation that is, so go for it all out as you certainly have done with everything life has thrown your way! great post too about being who you re and all that you can be and remaining positive throughout. You set a perfect example, my friend. BTW, my card and 💌 will be late, but are on their way😀Hope you get to celebrate with McFamily soon as you are all rested.

jinxxxygirl said...

I can't believe i called you Kathy!!! Rita..... I know your Rita...lol geesh.. Well i looked in my address book and i have your birthday correct in there.. I just think maybe its late... BUT i will check with KATHY and make sure i didn't send it to here... Her bday is Oct 24th.. lol Hugs! deb

Far Side of Fifty said...

Yeah for another birthday Rita! Glad you made it to 71! Hope you get some time with your grands soon:)

Deb J. in Utah said...

What a lovely post, Rita! Happy, happy birthday and I wish you many more. :-)

Bonnie said...

Happy Birthday Rita! You always have such a wonderful and positive outlook. Enjoy this whole week and make those brownies, you deserve them!

David M. Gascoigne, said...

Happy Birthday, Rita. Keep on fighting to the next one!

DJan said...

A very happy birthday to you, Rita. I've been following you for so long that you feel like a family member. Well, you ARE in my virtual family, for sure. It's wonderful to hear you sounding so positive. Hugs!!

Divers and Sundry said...

Happy belated Birthday! Your attitude is an inspiration :) I'm glad you and your doctor are such a good fit. Brownies sounds like a good idea. I wonder if I have the makings in the pantry closet... :)

Anvilcloud said...

I appreciate and agree with your thoughts on life and mortality. If we can make it to our three-score-and ten, that it pretty good. We all of us want to keep going and enjoy more days, but we can also appreciate that we have had the privilege of enjoying many days .

Jon said...

Happy Birthday, Rita! I'm a day late, but I think we should cherish every new birthday all year long. The older we get, the more precious the years become. Your positive and realistic attitude is a great gift.
I hope this new birthday year will be bright and filled with all good things.

Jeanie said...

You are a philosopher and a wise woman. Yes, cherish every day because we never know. So many wonderful happy birthday wishes. I know it will be a wonderful day and I hope a wonderful new year.

I'm doing Sketchbook Revival, too. I haven't done a lot of them yet -- I joined a little late. But have done some fun painting and creating and thoroughly enjoying it!

Serena Lewis said...

Happy Birthday, Rita...again. hehe

The best you can do is keep that positive mindset and live each day with love and gratitude.

Much love,
Serena xo

Janie Junebug said...

I'm glad you're enjoying the roses. Knowing you has made my life better. You so often see things that don't occur to me.

Love,
Janie

Jo-Anne's Ramblings said...

I am still in my 50's just, hope you had a great birthday.

1artsychick said...

Happy Belated Birthday!!
What you wrote touched me so much.
Things I think I needed to hear. I believe it all, just needed to have it someone remind me. You are an inspiring woman. I adore you. May you have many more happy birthdays.

Unknown said...

Happy birthday, Rita! I love your philosophy about life and your perspective about being in a win-win situation. You have such a positive view of living and the challenges that are presented to you. Very inspiring!