Monday, April 11, 2022

April 11, 2022 Monday--noon

Good soon-to-be afternoon. 

Well, it was a very quiet week.  I finally ate on Monday and then promptly had diarrhea for two days.  Am feeling better but am still very, very tired.  I certainly didn't expect to have this bad of a reaction to half a dose of covid vaccine.  That proves to me that cancer treatments (even immunotherapy) do effect your immune system.  No wonder Dr. McCune cautioned me about getting sick at all--even a bad cold.  :(

My immune system has been compromised for a couple of decades due to fibro so I guess it is a good thing for me to kind of remain in my own quarantine bubble as much as possible.  (A lot of why I have not visited McFamily much all winter--only twice.)   But now I am being even more cautious.  Even Dagan and Leah wear masks when they are here.  Kind of weird, but you do what you have to do.

On Monday afternoon the lady from CLS called about my annual review at-home visit (for my cleaning service) and wanted to come the next day.  She does this every year--last minute.  She even called me in the morning one year wanting to come the same day.  Well--not this time.  I was sick with diarrhea by that time and so she asked to come Thursday.  I hoped I would be better by then and said fine.

On Tuesday I suddenly realized I hadn't walked down my rent check!  So I had to clean up and dress.  Wrote a note about why it was late (but I think we have till the 7th to pay) and walked it down to the office.  No one is usually there but we have a rent pay box outside the door.  I asked in the note to please email me the proper mailing address for the company (included my email address) so I could set up automatic payments with my bank.  (I tried their own system when this company took over and had issues so I dropped it and went back to writing out checks.)  I have not gotten an email yet.  Probably won't.  

I will have to call and try to find someone who can give me a proper rent paying address and then Leah can double-check that I have set it up correctly with my bank.  I pay my eye doctor that way so I know how to change amounts or cancel, but Leah set it up for me.  Anyways, need to do that before the end of the month--hopefully.  I am so slow and so spacy with brain fog that I make no promises about remembering anything these days...even when I write things down in my bullet journal--LOL!

So, I made it down to the rent box and back...had to rest my wonky legs for ten minutes before I could make it down to check my mail.  That kind of a week.  Lots of resting.

I can't even remember if it was Tuesday or Wednesday when the maintenance man came knocking on my door to fix the washer.  I must have looked like death warmed over because he didn't hesitate at all to say he could come back next week.  Told me to rest and take care of myself.  He is coming back on Wednesday afternoon.  

It was on Wednesday we had quite the wind storm with rain, sleet, spitting snow and wind gusts up to 60mph.  The wind did a number on Dagan and Leah's patio gazebo!
Tore the canvas top apart!
And then--do you see the brown cushioned chair below their deck?
That heavy chair got lifted up off the deck, tossed down the stairs, and ended up way out on the cement patio!
Amazing!

Because the CLS lady was coming on Thursday I pushed myself to tidy up, clean poor Annie's cat box, wash the blankets I use for my chair at night...while the wind howled all day at 40mph.

My days and nights have been a bit flipped still so I set an alarm so I'd be up because the CLS lady said she couldn't come in the afternoon.  Well, she never showed or called.  And I was too tired to care.  She still hasn't.  It will hit her at some point that she needs my paperwork done for the year and then I assume I'll hear from her again.  AND I do have Katie actually coming to clean tomorrow so I can tell her about it, too.

Friday Leah and Aaron went to Costco and dropped off my groceries.  Was a better wonky legs day so I brought the cart out to Leah's car in the parking lot.  Leah came by later toward evening to do the weekly stuff for me that I have trouble doing yet...like trash and vacuuming.  

Over the weekend I was finally able to write letters--tada!  At least I got something accomplished on my otherwise pajama weekend.  :) 

Dagan stopped by with a small Cashwise groceries order for me on Sunday night.  He stayed for a short chat.  Wore his mask and stayed at the kitchen table and I stayed in my chair.  

So the week was almost a total pajama week--LOL!  Today I am up and dressed (so I could get my mail really).  It's dark and drizzly outside...40 degrees, though.  Tomorrow Katie comes to clean and Wednesday our nice maintenance man will come to fix my washer.  Leah or Dagan will come by sometime end of the week to help me out with tasks.  So--busier than usual, but everyone will be wearing masks.  Glad I don't have another infusion until the following week.  Sounds exhausting.

Anyways, almost back to pre-booster shot--LOL!  Hope to have some spoons this week.  I was dreaming about making bookcards--ROFL!  ;)

In the meantime, I am resting up and doing what I am able.  Getting letters written feels good (paper chats)...and have sent out some bookcards!  I forgot how much fun they are to write in.  Just something different, I guess.  You know how I love variety.  I really do love snail mail so much.  Hand writing and blogging are my social media--LOL!  You all are my lifeline.  I am so grateful for your friendship.  I cherish my blog and my snail mail families.  :)

Have a good week.  
Till next Monday...  :) :)

21 comments:

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

After reading about your reaction to the vaccine, Rita, it does make me wonder whether or not getting a second booster is at all helpful. Quite honestly, I/we did NOT have reactions that some others did and certainly your health issues are a factor in your reactions. Hopefully, you will be feeling better soon.

Rent payment here can be done several ways: walking payment to the office, paying when due from your checking account, or having it deducted directly. Grenville opts to pay on the 1st of the month directly as he does not want to give access to his account. Of course, the management office is always sending helpful reminders about having it deducted automatically, which we ignore. Their preference is also that everyone use their cell phones when using the laundry facilities as opposed to having a card to which you "add" money from a credit card kiosk. I prefer the card.

I am finishing some snail mail letters today and one will be on its way to you in tomorrow's mail, my friend.

Jon said...

I think it's a good idea to keep yourself quarantined as much as possible - especially with your compromised immune system. It's so very easy to catch a virus.
The wind storm must have been horrible. What a shame that Dagan's deck was damaged. There were recent bad winds here in TN, too - and several more trees were blown down on my property.
Take care and keep resting.

DJan said...

All things considered you seem to be doing pretty well, Rita. You are in my prayers every morning, and I am always glad to hear you've had a decent week, even if a Pajama one. Hope your gut issues are back to normal. :-)

Far Side of Fifty said...

I need a jammie week too! I am so tired. Hope most of that big storm misses us both. That is too bad about Leah and Dagan's canopy....the wind was horrid a couple of days.
Sure hope you feel better soon!

Jo-Anne's Ramblings said...

So sad that you had such a bad reaction from your vaccine shot, my daughter has Covid but wouldn't know it if she hadn't had a postive RAT tes

Deb J. in Utah said...

Hi Rita. I am glad that you were able to have a "pajama week." You know how you need to take care of yourselves. I hope things get better as the week goes on. Prayers that you will soon feel much better.

David M. Gascoigne, said...

Could you not just give the rental office a series of post-dated cheques?

Mary said...

PJ week sounds like it was needed. Sorry you have had such a difficult time with the booster. The idea of everyone wearing a mask around you is a good idea. No need to tax your immune system any more than necessary. Take care.

Jeanie said...

I'm sorry you've had such a rough week and bad reaction from the booster. Probably good to have but still not one single bit of fun. I hope you can work out the auto-payment for your rent. I can see where that could sometimes be too long a walk. And well done on the commitment to more or less quarantine and masking for incoming people, even family. Just makes sense. I hope this week is better.

Anvilcloud said...

What a predicament to be compromised and yet not be able to handle the shots that are largely for compromised people.

Divers and Sundry said...

A compromised immune system complicates _everything_ :( I'm glad you have support through all of this and hope this week is a much better one {hug}

1artsychick said...

You sound like you'll be a busy lady!
We are having high winds today, just making allergies worse, blowing all that pollen around and of course I forgot to take my Flonase yesterday.
I had no idea that the booster would mess with someone with a compromised immune system. Sounds horrible. I'll be getting my booster soon, I hope I don't get sick. The first one I felt horrible, but the other two haven't been so bad. However, I'm sicker now and on more meds that mess with things.
I admire you for sticking to your quarantine, it has to be so very hard to be away from your grands.
Well it seems like I'm wring a letter so I'll hush.
Oh, I LOVE snail mail too! I don't have anyone I write back and forth with, but I send lots of cards and things. Snail mail is disappearing, I miss it. I just got a new fountain pen, I'd like to use it for more than my journal.
I'll in again soon.
Thinking of you.
Wendy

Serena Lewis said...

You're still dealing with side effects from the booster? I thought you were on the mend... sorry to hear you're still recovering after another week. You poor thing. You might be having a reaction to an ingredient in the vaccine.

Good that you are being extra cautious. Isolating is definitely a good thing.

I Bpay my rent each week via my bank account. I could opt to have rent automatically deducted but I prefer to be the one in control of my money. With Bpay, I just go into my account and transfer the rent to their 'specific' account. So easy.

A shame about their gazebo. I hate strong winds due to the damage they can cause. Our Westerly wind month used to be August but, as the years have passed, the strong winds tend to hit us late October and into November now. Climate change?

I enjoy snail mail too. There's just something special about handwriting letters to friends.

Have a good week, my friend — you deserve it after the week you've had. xo

Bonnie said...

A "pajama week" can be more healing than many other things! I hope you are feeling much better this week. Follow your instincts about being quarantined and wearing masks. I always trust my instincts, plus your health and cancer treatments do compromise your immune system. Thinking of you!

Jim and Barb's Adventures said...

I got queasy from both my first and second shots but nothing too serious. We had similar winds here in South Dakota for a 3 day period. It was horrible!

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Sorry to read you are still having problems with your second booster, even a half dose. Smart to mask at all times. I sure do. Sounds like you definitely need auto pay on your rent. I hope the get back to you. Feel better soon and I an SO glad to read that Dagan and Leah are taking such good care of you, dear.

pearshapedcrafting said...

It sounds although you definitely need a pyjama week! I do apologise for being so very far behind in making comments here - I intend reading every word(even those I did get around to reading) and writing to you if that's OK! Pleased that you have Lia and Dagan close enough to help. Paris was so cold most of the time and will be blogged in due course. Most folk were wearing masks but we still had situations that were uncomfortable but unavoidable but we are on the mend now thankfully, Take care - hope your finances get sorted easily! Hugs, Chrisx

Bijoux said...

I’m sorry to hear about the food and shot issues. Hopefully, you feel better soon. And isn’t it sad when you want to pay for something, but they make it difficult?

Dee said...

Dear Rita, first, I'd like to apologize for being so remiss in visiting your blog. For the past year, I've even caught up in the cancer a young friend has and also my own ailments and have sort of hibernated from visiting blogs on any regular basis.

During that time, I think you have been dealing with your own cancer and all the treatments and all the emotions that must accompany it. And I suspect, from looking back at a number of your postings, that you've done all this with your usual equanimity. Please know that you are in my prayers and that I so hope this Covid shot works for you despite these side effects.

I'm going to look and see if I have your address so that I can send you a card or two or more because I so know how I feel when snail mail from a friend comes.

Take care. You have touched and are touching the lives of so many readers. It's all part of the Oneness that binds us all together. Peace.

Diane F. said...

Positive thoughts and prayers ❤️❤️❤️

Unknown said...

Sometimes we all need those pajama weekends and weeks. Hoping you are starting to feel better after the COVID booster shot. I can't believe the damage that Dagan and Leah had after that storm. Their patio gazebo really got hit hard!