Sunday, October 20, 2013

Sunday-9:15am

We had some glimpses of blue sky before the weekend.


Karma, literally, bathing in the sunlight--LOL! 
What have I been doing?
Working on the pantry and kitchen.  
Slowly.  
Many sessions a day. 
The tortoise wins the race, right?  ;)
I'm still crawling along toward the finish line, but I do see the man with the checkered flag in the distance.  Just clearing part of this stained folding table (told you we have used these for art for years) was exciting.
It all got much worse... 


...before it got better...a shelf at a time. 

One table down. 
Then two.
I was stuck for a while.
Until I remembered this heavy duty box and lid I could empty and use up on the top shelf on the left side to hold all the weird oriental stuff and things that I don't use that often (like cooking sherry) but don't want to get rid of.  I wanted them up there, but I am too short to reach anything but the very front.  Yes, even with the stool--LOL!  Now I can get to them when I need to! 
After that...everything fell into place on that side (more the cooking side). 
The other side is now more the baking side, like I wanted.  :)  I even have room to replace some of the odd flours that were up above the cabinets if I want to!  (There was quite a bit of purging going on during this whole process to clean out the old and unwanted.)
When I finished the bottom of the baking side--I was done in the pantry!!
 This was the only glimpse of the sun I saw early yesterday.
Been chilly and raining a lot. 
It's raining right now and 36 degrees. 
This may look ugly or silly, but I decided to replace my jars over the cabinets with appliances wrapped in plastic trash bags to keep them from getting all greasy over time. 
Not the best look, but it's practical.  Easy enough for me to replace a greasy trash bag and not spend hours scrubbing.  ;)  Now my crock pot, steamer, blender, and Cuisinart have new homes up there--most in pieces so they are easier for me to handle.
And with some more shifting and moving...I cleared room to have a designated spot for the bread machine!  
And more room on the other side of the sink, too!  (Although I already had to move the coffee pot back over close to the sink for filling because the lamp behind it was in the way.) 
I have eight cupboards and cabinets in the kitchen and three drawers.  A few are in a state of constant organization and I could actually pass on those.  I've finished a couple easy ones already.  There's one big challenging chaotic cupboard, the cabinets over the frig (I'll have to ask Caroline to help me with that one when she comes on Tuesday because I can only reach the very front up there--just vases and such that should be run through the dishwasher), and two very messy drawers left--whoohoo!!  :)
****
But not today.
****
My back has apparently had enough for right now and is demanding respite.  Maybe I can manage some more computer time after a long break for some chatting and visiting...maybe not.  But I am delighted with how far I have gotten and how much better it looks in there!  You know how when you're in the room you can't help but flip on lights and open doors just to gaze around and smile?  Well, you can picture me doing that.  Yessireee!!  :):)
****
Not counting my back and leg at the moment, I am so glad I am feeling much better.  I have more to tell you about silly Miss Karma but it will have to wait till next time because my body is in charge these days, as you know.  ;)  Enjoy the rest of your weekend.  I am going to catch up on some of the new TV shows and hope to be back soon.  :) :)
****
"Sometimes I go about pitying myself, and all the time I am being carried on great winds across the sky."
Chippewa, translated by Robert Bly

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know how you feel. We recently had easy sliding drawers put in our cabinets & now I can get to all my pots & pans & mixing bowls without going through hell!!

TexWisGirl said...

i think you were smart to wrap your appliances in trash bags! they do get incredibly dusty and greasy up there! :)

DJan said...

You are always as positive as anybody I know, Rita. Even with all your disabilities, you manage to get as much done as a person half your age with no health problems! Give a pet to the Karma unit for me, OK? :-)

Jenny Woolf said...

It is so satisfying to get everything sorted and cleared and organised. I'm not surprised you're grinning! I like that tip of wrapping gadgets in white trash bags, I shall try it too. I hope the white will blend in to the look of the white wall too :)

Beth said...

Bless you Rita, your post has worn me out. Making me think I haven't done anything to my shelves since I moved here 3&1/2 years ago. I need help!!

Janie Junebug said...

I think that's a great way to store your small appliances.

Love,
Janie

GrandmaG said...

I know what an accomplishment it is to get things cleaned and put away! LOL

I was just in the basement pulling some things for hubby to take to St. Vincent de Paul and realized how dusty it is in the storage room. Ugh! Might have to tackle that this winter. Not looking forward to it.

Anonymous said...

I think we buy the same BBQ sauce.

:-)

Funny in My Mind said...

It is looking great! A weight off your chest to reduce clutter. That sky photo is beautiful; actually all of them are.
Our Jack Russell can find a one inch sunbeam and be set for hours!!

Shelly said...

I, too, am so glad you are feeling better. I really, really love your organizational skills. Wow! Karma even looks pleased!

Intense Guy said...

I hope you are feeling better today! Goodness, everything is so neat and tidy! Too bad you can't come over and "do" my place too (hey, free cat food for Karma)!

AliceKay said...

Things are looking great!