Tuesday, October 01, 2013

Tuesday-9:30am

Early evening clouds...
...reflecting the last glow of the day. 
Well, I can't believe it's T Stands For Tuesday already.  Seems like the last few days my dinged up thermal mug has hardly left the kitchen. 
I've been cleaning out all the jars that were over the cabinets plus a few more.  (And made some lemon honey bread--can see it cooling on the stove.)
What a project!  I'll need new lids for the jar rings and there was a lot of scrubbing by hand.  Can only stand for a few minutes at a time and my leg starts to go numb so that's why this took me from Saturday till Monday. 
I ran them through the dishwasher in stages--but then still had to scrub them one by one to get all the flour residues out, the accumulated kitchen grease and the old labels off.  Then ran them through the dishwasher a final time.
They are all now... 
...sparkling clean. 
 But I decided I really don't want to deal with greasy, sticky jars in the future if I don't have to--so I plan to keep going and move on to cleaning and reorganizing my pantry...well, and all the kitchen cupboards, too.  Hoping that maybe I can manage to store future jars in the pantry--even though it makes my kitchen look so bare to me.  
****
Truth is, I've had jars up over my cupboard for decades and it doesn't look like my kitchen without them.  But I have to face facts.  I just can't climb up there anymore.  My monkey days are over.  Good grief!  I can't even stand at the sink and scrub for over ten minutes without my leg going numb--LOL!  The days when I worked at Walmart and at Rainbow Foods and could scramble right up the side of huge metal shelving that went to the top of the warehouse ceiling to toss down a box or bag of something to another employee--well, they have passed.  [Don't tell Osha.  I did use the big belt hook as I climbed, though...well, usually.  I was always in such a hurry, juggling five tasks at once, and got so much done.  Hard to believe, knowing me today, that I used to be quite the energizer bunny--LOL!]  
****
Anyways, that is my biggest project for October.  Kitchen and pantry overhaul.
****
I don't think I told you that Karma refused to sit on the chair, despite it being covered and with the familiar throw over it...until I put a rag and some of her string-like toys on it. 
Then she decided it was safe... 
...and she's been using it ever since.  But only if I keep the rag and toys up there.  Take them off and she won't go near it.  Goofus!
But this morning she is lying in the sun in the open porch door. 
She'll wake up when she loses the heat as the sun moves away.  It's a beautiful autumn day--57 degrees right now and supposed to hit 70 today. 
Anyways, happy Tuesday!
See you tomorrow.  :)
****
"If you want the best the world has to offer, offer the world your best."
Neale Donald Walsch

18 comments:

Intense Guy said...

That's a lot of sparkling glass! You are slowly but surely "getting it done"! :) I don't clean half as much as you - I'm ashamed to say.

Karma is a goofball. :) That's why we all enjoy her!

TexWisGirl said...

what a finicky mess that karma is!

Craftymoose Crafts said...

Besides the delicious looking honey bread, the first thing that caught my eye was that awesome red tea kettle! That's quite a collection of jars; they do make a kitchen look nice.

Beth said...

I hate cleaning cupboards. You have enough jars to make some jelly or do some canning.

Karma is a very particular lady.

Janie Junebug said...

Isn't it amazing to think about the things we used to do? I hauled around all those heavy people in the nursing home. Lifted them by myself! I can barely lift myself now.

Love,
Janie

Halle said...

That's huge job! Karma is such a goof.:)

Ariel said...

You are inspiring me to clean my jars now. They look so shiny and clean.
Have a great week.

Dee said...

Dear Rita, I so like that final quotation by N. D. Walsch. Thank you for it. I'm trying as hard as I can to make my novel the best it can be. With its new first chapter I'm feeling more confident when I send out a sample with a query letter.

I applaud your decision to do one room in October. Of course, the kitchen is a big room to start with. Big in the sense of having so much "stuff" in it. That's the way with all kitchens. For myself, I'd say 2 months at a minimum! Peace.

DJan said...

None of us are as young as we used to be. Goes without saying that it goes... without even saying goodbye! :-)

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Today before I could stop by, my computer hung up. When I got back online, I couldn’t get any page to load, not even my blog. So, I shut down, and made a late lunch. Then my kitchen sink plugged up. Still working on it, but needed to resume visiting my T friends. Sorry I'm late getting here.

That's a big, big chore, but I agree that those glass jars need to be in your pantry away from grease. I've got the same problem, but mine is partly because I have both a top and bottom oven.

Love that Karma takes to the sunshine, but am stumped by her attitude about the chair. It makes for a great story, though.

Happy T today.

dawn said...

WOW that is a big job to take on, they look so clean and pretty though. Your cat is sooo funny, love that story. My cat does the same thing in the sun too. It was a beautiful perfect day here also. Happy T DAY!

Far Side of Fifty said...

I have to wash everything in my open cupboards too..they get dusty...and a bug or two might be in a cup or a bowl in the back..or one of those horrid Asian Beetles that have arrived:(

Susan Flett Swiderski said...

Ohhhh, you're doing one of those domino jobs. One thing leads to another leads to another leads... (You get the idea.)

Tearing the kitchen apart, cleaning everything, and putting it back together again is a pain in the patootie job to do, but it sure does feel good after you've gotten it done, doesn't it? (Silly me, I used to think keeping stuff in a china cabinet would keep it clean... HA!)

Serena Lewis said...

It's amazing how much kitchen grease gets about when it comes to jars and other things on open shelves (I love the look of open shelf displays but they sure do have their down-side. Thankfully, I don't have many open shelves in my kitchen). You must be so pleased to get these all cleaned up....quite a job! I like that blue jar. :)

Awwwww.....Karma is so sweet!

I so need to catch up with your blog yet again. Goodness, I don't know where the days go of late.

Love and hugs,
Serena xo

Darla said...

You always post such beautiful sky shots. Looks like you have accomplished a lot in your kitchen even if you have to do it 10 minutes at a time.

Laughed at Karma and the chair. She certainly lets you know what she wants.

Darla

andi filante said...

Karma looks completely stressed out. I think you should do something to calm her down. :)

-andi

Dianne said...

Beautiful clouds and love the color created by the setting sun! looks like you've really worked hard on the glass jars...I love glass too. but they sure do accumulate dust quickly! So glad you invited us in to share your project...

~*~Patty S said...

Happy T day eventho it's Thursday!
Had keyboard issues that were driving me up a wall...all fixed now.
Gorgeous photos you took
and
I had no idea what a healthy size your Karma kitty is :)
What a project you undertook with the jars.
I keep reminding myself everything changes ... have to keep repeating it until I 'get' it I guess.
Take care and see you soon as you are right about T Tuesdays coming around quick!
oxo