Friday, September 02, 2011

Friday-4:45am

Got quite a surprise from Wales yesterday!!!
Karma settled in to watch the action.
For those of you who don't know Tori, she lost both eyes to glaucoma. Tori told us that she used to make cards before she lost her second eye but sent all her art and craft things to her mom's. Recently she wanted to start making cards again, had her old stuff located that had been packed away, and went through to see what she could still use by touch. I am the proud recipient of her very first card she made! :)
Which was inside of this surprise box of goodies!!
Tori sent me the things she can't use. Pictures for recycling cards, word stickers, a brand new set of pencils, and sticky pads were on the top.
There were these two pouches and the big Parker tin!
This is what was in one pouch...
...and on the left is what was in the other pouch...plus a set of pastels and watercolor pencils! Tons of pens, pencils, erasers...I haven't even had the chance to sit and play with any of these yet...
...because I wanted to get my hands on this silver box!
Tori enclosed a letter inside the card. (No, I didn't know you had taken a calligraphy class at one time!) She sent me her Parker calligraphy set!! Of course I have already loaded the pen with ink and played with it for a while.
You KNOW how much I love pens!!
****
Oh, and funny thing! When I first opened the box a yellow spotted feather flew up into the air and landed on the floor. Don't let Karma's size fool you. She was on that like white on rice. To my surprise...she not only pounced on it...she ate it! All that was left on the carpet was this smaller piece shown here next to the turquoise feather--also found in the box. The yellow one had been at least as big as this turquoise one, I swear! LOL!
Don't worry. The feather hasn't seemed to effect Miss Queen of the Jungle's digestive system. ROFL!
****
Who'da thunk it?! This is the same cat who cried and ran away from the cockatiel who absolutely adored her and occasionally flew off her cage and trailed Karma around on the floor when I wasn't in the room to stop Miss Gracie from terrorizing Karma. Makes me wonder what Karma actually might do to one of those darling swallows she watches so intently if she had the chance. I thought she'd run away and howl for me to save her like she did with Gracie. Hummm....maybe not--ROFL!
****
Anyways, thanks so very much, Tori! This was such a sweet surprise!! And I am honored to have your very first tactile card, too. You are an inspiration! Best wishes on your move. So glad I met you online. Give Kero a scratch and hug from me.
****
May your life be filled with pleasant surprises from kind people who bring you joy!
****
"Whether you think you can or can't, you're right."
Henry Ford

18 comments:

AliceKay said...

What a nice surprise! :) Tori is a wonderful woman and quite an inspiration to us all. I'm glad I met her online, too. Enjoy your new toys. :)

Dee Ready said...

Thank you, Rita, for linking us to Tori's blog. I hope to have more time later today to really read some of her postings.

And, given your creative bent and your love of pens and color, she surely couldn't have sent her box of marvelous materials to anyone better than you!

Peace.

Deanna said...

You are one lucky lady. And we are lucky to have become friends with Tori.

That card is very nice. I know you will treasure it. And all those treats! Wow. Karma knows a good thing when it flies through the air!

Have fun with all of your new toys, especially the pens. I do believe I am going to take a Caligraphy Class at our Career Center (if they offer one). I'd love to know how...

Have a wonderful day!

Deanna

DJan said...

What a wonderful thing to receive, from someone who sounds like has the spirit of a true angel. I can hardly imagine how I would cope without sight. Going over to check Tori out, I haven't met her before. Hugs to you, and oh yes, Karma the feather eating terror!

Queenie Jeannie said...

How wonderful!!! Enjoy your treasure chest of goodies!

Karma cracks me up, lol!

Furry Bottoms said...

Tori is completely amazing!!! Enjoy all the goodies and frame that card!!

Rita said...

AliceKay--Yes, I'm glad I met Tori thru Iggy's blog, too. :)

Dee--I was really delighted! :)

Deanna--Yes! Lots of goodies to play with. I took classes about 15-16 years ago and really enjoyed them. We only learned italic, but that is about all I could handle--LOL! I think you'd have fun!

Djan--I know! Meeting Tori online has made me think about a LOT of things I take for granted! :)

Jeannie--I already have been quite enjoying the calligraphy pen--LOL! :)

Nikki--I will, I will! Now if I can just keep Karma away from the feathers--LOL!
(You are amazing to me, too!!)

Furry Bottoms said...

I just have to say again, I love Tori!! :) That was a real treat she sent you!

I wanted to explain my post about the cat in the water. The cat tooted and the bubbles that resulted surprised her. Not many of my readers got it right away.

Toriz said...

*Blushes after reading all the comments*

You're very welcome, and I'm glad I met you online too! :)

Glad it got there safely and you're happy with your surprise package. I know how you love pens, so I just had to send you those. Actually, the coligraphy set was the reason I so desperately wanted to find the craft items my Mam had... I knew you'd love it! :)

So I did drop a couple of those feathers in the box... Thought I had (the box was open by me while I was sorting craft supplies... LOL!)

Toriz said...

P.S. I didn't think I'd mentioned the classes to you... It was during a design course I started taking at the local college about 7 years ago. I never got very good, and I didn't finish the design course (I had issues with the teacher's attitude towards me and walked out) but it was fun... Until the issues with the teacher started getting to me. Anyway, I'm glad you're having so much fun with the pens already! :)

Rita said...

Nikki--Maybe it was my laptop, but the whole picture didn't appear in the box and the cat's little bottom didn't show on the screen. I'm glad you told me, because I even went looking on youtube to try to find it because I knew you laughed and I wanted to know what was so funny. Thanks for telling me, because I couldn't find it--but saw a lot of other strange videos--LOLOL!!!

Tori--Well, you sure did surprise me! And I had no idea you had done calligraphy ever so it was a double surprise! You and the teacher sure didn't hit it off, apparently, tho?
Thank so much. You deserve all the sweet comments. :)

Toriz said...

You're welcome again! :)

That's right... Thing is, the teacher insisted that Wayne and I - due to having disabilities (my sight issues were beginning to become visible at that point, and Wayne is almost completely deaf plus has slight delays in his mental abilities... Only slight though) - were obviously the mental age of about 2. He spoke down to us, took things from our hands to do the tasks for us (because we were clearly unable to do so) and made us feel useless. It was a design course that dealt with everything from coligraphy lessons to interior design, and he basically made it perfectly clear that he didn't see why we could possibly think we belonged in such a class. I held out for as long as I did to try and prove him wrong, but after 4 months I'd had enough and knew I couldn't do the whole 2 to 5 years of the course (2 if you only want to do basic, 5 if you want to be able to be a professional in any of the aspects). So, I collected up all my stuff and walked out. My brother followed soon after, and my Mam - also in the same class - left about when my brother had. She wasn't impressed with him either, but all our attempts at talking to him had failed, so she left the course on principle because of how we had been treated by him. I was going to look in to another course... An art and coligraphy course that was being done elsewhere. My sight started to get worse though, so I decided against it.

Rita said...

Tori--That was cool that you, your mom, and your brother were going to do the course together. But what a shame the teacher was so negative that he drove you all out! :(

Intense Guy said...

:)

This post just made me smile - possibly for the first time in two or more weeks.

*hugs both you and Tori*

Tori is a wonderful and remarkable woman and quite an inspiration to us all. I'm glad to be able to call her a good friend.

And you, Rita, I feel the same way about - I hope you enjoy all the goodies in that box! I think someone has arranged and neatly stacked some of the pencils for you - shucks :)

Just teasing ya...

I wonder if Karma feels "bigger and stronger" now - was she small during the cockatiel days? She could probably take down a free range rooster or turkey nowadays... if she could catch up to it.

Toriz said...

Awwww.... Thanks Iggy! I'm glad I can call you a good friend too! *Hugs*

I'm also glad I made you smile! :)

Rita said...

Iggy--So glad it made you smile!!! It did me, too. I certainly was surprised. What a sweet thing for Tori to do. Oh yes, I will have them all organized--LOL! ;)

No, Karma wasn't small during the cockatiel days. It gave me the giggles to see her running away from that tiny bird! All she would have had to do is lay down on Gracie and it would have been all over for the lovesick bird--LOL! If Karma was braver and could actually run farther than across the apartment she IS almost big enough to take down a free range turkey--ROFL!! :)

Serena Lewis said...

How lovely of Tori to send you all those goodies!

By the way, Tori, the card you made for Rita is beautiful! How rude of the teacher to treat you and your brother like that. Good on your Mum...I'd have ditched the course too. As you may know, my eldest son, Bradley, is legally blind and hearing impaired, also with a slight mental delay....and he copes very well with computers and music, both playing a big part in his life. I still have the wooden boxes he made for me in his high school woodwork classes. I treasure them.

Rita, of course you had that Calligraphy pen loaded up and ready to go. You wouldn't be you if you hadn't. lol

Rita said...

Serena--You know with Bradley that if anyone was giving him a hard time or belittling him you'd be up n arms! Yup! So many insensitive people in the world. They just don't think.
Yes--wouldn't be me if the pen wasn't cleaned and inked up right quickly--LOL! ;)