Monday, October 26, 2009

Monday-11:15am

The mystery of cat whiskers!
Blows my mind! Do you believe it?! So dogs must shed them, too, right? Weird!
I got this reader's meme from Serena's blog:
The books in that desk cubby on the left are the ones which require activity--writing, journaling, or sketching--and a couple "next on my list" books. The bookcase to the right of my desk contains all my reference books, books about writing, writing collection books, literary type books, the lit mags I was published in, and some of my notes from college writing classes. In the very bottom of the curio cabinet on the far right are all my decks of angel cards and the corresponding books. Okay--here goes...
Do you snack while you read?
No. But I usually have something to drink nearby and am vigilant about spilling even one drop upon the book.
Do you tend to mark your books as you read them, or does the idea of writing on your books horrify you?
Horrifies me! When I went to college a few years back I was actually appalled by the common treatment of class books--made no difference if it was in the private or the public college. I bought brand new books because of the rampant book abuse, even tho they were more expensive. And when there were no new books for a class I stood there in the bookstore aisle and went thru every book in the stack or stacks to find the least defaced book of the lot. I was actually shocked that the books in both the college libraries were written in, dog-eared, and highlighted--library books! To me, books are something to be handed down and shared--respected. They are on loan to me--as children are.
How do you keep your place while reading a book? Bookmark? Dog ears? Leaving the book open flat?
Bookmarks. I collect them and have made many of my own. I also love Levenger's Page Nibs (used to be called Page Points and were a slightly different but similar shape):
I sometimes even have a page point attached to a bookmark--hehe! You can mark the exact line you were on. Awesome! I have never, ever dog-eared a book. I'd leave the book open upside down first.
This bookcase in the hallway holds all the various art and craft books--grouped up in sections: watercolor painting, acrylics, oils, Chinese brush painting, drawing, polymer clay, rubber stamping, book binding, aromatherapy, beading, and card making. The majority are the various painting books. [Aside: see the rain stick in the corner by my bedroom door? Freaks out Miss Karma--hehe!]
Fiction, Non-Fiction or both?
I hadn't thought about it, but the majority of the books I own are non-fiction. But, as far as what I read--I go back and forth pretty equally between fiction and non-fiction.
The bookcase by the front door holds all the cookbooks and all my magazines (cardmaking, polymer clay, and writing).
The bedroom bookcase holds all my fiction (top shelf only) and all the New Age or spiritual books, self-help books, and books on world religions. My fiction is only the one shelf any more since I joined www.bookcrossing.com. I usually release my fiction books now and pass them on.
Are you a person who tends to read to the end of chapters, or are you able to put a book down at any point?
I prefer to finish a chapter, but it depends on what I am reading, where, and how tired I am--hehe!
If you come across an unfamiliar word, do you stop to look it up right away?
I prefer to look up the word, but--again--it depends on what I am reading, where, and how tired I am--ROFL! I have read many a book in my day with the dictionary by my side. :)


What are you currently reading?
One of the books Caroline brought over--On What Grounds by Cleo Coyle. Sadly, I am still working my way through Soul Coaching by Denise Linn. Doing this meme reminds me that I should continue on with that book--tsk!tsk! Forgot all about it, to be honest.
What is the last book you bought?
A book on Chinese Brush Painting from Haiying--sorry--in Chinese can't tell you title or author--hehe! (I have a few like that.) Before that, tho--from OAS I bought 100 Birds and 100 Flowers both by Yang O-shi and they are both in Chinese and English. I haven't been buying many books recently.
Are you the type of person who can only read one book at a time or can you read more than one at a time?
I usually have 1-4 going at a time. I have been on the low end of the reading cycle lately. Seems like I always do go back and forth from reading a lot to reading very little. On my upswings I usually have a fiction, one or two non-fiction, and an activity or participation type book going all at the same time.
Do you prefer series or stand alone books?
Have read both. All the paperbacks Caroline brought me are series books. Don't know as I have a strong preference. Hey! I'd read a cereal box! :)
Is there a specific book or author that you find yourself recommending over and over?
I don't tend to "recommend" books. I can never count on other people having the same tastes as I do--and I do enjoy a wide variety of subject matter. I can tell someone what I thought of a book, but I make sure they know it is just my personal opinion, you know? (I loved The Pillars Of The Earth by Ken Follett!)
How do you organize your books? (By genre, title, author’s last name, etc.?)
All my non-fiction books are just grouped up by subject matter in no particular order. My non-fiction books are basically on the TBR (to be read) shelf--which has a sub-section of borrowed books. I have a couple of "soon TBR" fiction spots--or my finished and ready to be released on www.bookcrossing.com stack. (Which I forgot to mention is the small stack in the front right hand corner on the bottom shelf of the bookcase by the door).
There--finished! Tada!
You now know more than you ever cared to know about me and my books--hehe!
Oh--I forgot about my swiveling "stuff" holder by my chair that I adore. I'll have to show you that tomorrow. :)
If you do the reading/book meme please let me know. As you can imagine, I am curious about other people's reading habits and book collections--hehe! :):)

2 comments:

Intense Guy said...

I'll have to try to find time to do this meme too.

But in short, I'm pretty much the same as you - marking or messing up a book or its binder is a no-no.

A lot of books are from the library or if I buy them, I'll read them once or twice more over a couple years and then give them away to anyone that wants them.

I've got 8 floor to ceiling bookshelves full - and there isn't really that much order involved - just the "series" books all in one place...

:)

Rita said...

Iggy--I'd love to see your bookcases! I hope you do the meme, too. Why are they called memes and how do you pronounce that? Looks like me! me!--a it is for filling out questionaires?? hehe!

Have you ever heard of www.bookcrossing.com? You might be interested since you wander about often and already give away books...? :):)